Name our opening day bullpen

whitesoxfan101

I think the last spot is the only one that is up in the air

Jenks

Thornton

MacDougal are all givens

Logan

Massett are in unless something big happens

-Aardsma has the easiest road to the pen, but has a little bit of work to do.

-Sisco would be much better served in Charlotte starting for a year, but if Ozzie wants a third lefty, he would have to be it.

-Haegar would be my personal favorite for the pen, but I get the feeling they either want him as the fifth starter, or working as in Charlotte as a starter.

-Floyd is either the fifth starter, or the #1 starter in Charlotte.

-Tracey has pretty much zero chance, same with Heath Phillips

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
After today, does Russell become a dark horse?

no, his stock as a starter > that as a reliever and we have alot of talented relievers.

i think hes a dark horse to get traded before opening day.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Fine, Boston can give us Pedroia. :)

Kenny has put together a nice collection of young arms. However, we still don't know what we are really going to get out of any of them. At this point of time, Russell just gives us a better chance of having a few pan out. You and I both know they all won't all turn out to be big leaguers.

Granted, Russell's value might be at an all time high after this ST, but I have loved what I have seen, and it would probably be a mistake at this point to deal him.

lol @ Pedroia, he would be nice, but i doubt they'd give up their starting second basemen. But i could see the sox giving up Jed Lowrie who had some nagging injuries last year and Jon Egan, Since they've got Pedroia and Kottaras. Egan could be ready by the time AJ & Hall's contracts runs out.

I too have loved what i've seen from Russell this spring, but i think we see Sisco/Gio/Danks ahead of him along with Broadway & McCulloch and Haeger, there is just so much depth in our system right now then add into the mix Garland has two years left with us 3 for Jose and 4 for Javy.

You mean, besides Jenks, Thornton and MacDougal.....

Masset, Logan & unfortunately, Sisco. If Ozzie wants seven guys then it's a tossup btw Floyd, Haeger and Aardsma.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(beautox @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
lol @ Pedroia, he would be nice, but i doubt they'd give up their starting second basemen. But i could see the sox giving up Jed Lowrie who had some nagging injuries last year and Jon Egan, Since they've got Pedroia and Kottaras. Egan could be ready by the time AJ & Hall's contracts runs out.

I too have loved what i've seen from Russell this spring, but i think we see Sisco/Gio/Danks ahead of him along with Broadway & McCulloch and Haeger, there is just so much depth in our system right now then add into the mix Garland has two years left with us 3 for Jose and 4 for Javy.

This is likely Buehrle's last year with the Sox, and Contreras could easily get traded after 2008, and then Garland and Vazquez's contracts are starting to expire.

I am definitely with Flash on this one taht the Sox should keep as many SP prospects as absolutely possible. Resign Iguchi, even if it means overpaying a little bit, and those two positions are filled for a while.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Jenks

Thornton

MacDougal

Sisco

Aardsma

Floyd

Just to aggravate the hell out of Soxtalk.

Troublemaker. :P

A lot of it comes down to whether or no we're going to carry 3 lefties in the pen.

I hope not, and I hope Sisco is down in AAA starting and Logan gets first crack.

Aardsma has really dug a hole for himself, and I think Masset certainly has him beat for a spot, and even then it's a toss up b/w him and Russel for another possibly.

Either Floyd or Haeger is going to get in there as well I think.

The good thing is in all of this, we have OPTIONS. We have contingency plans, which is a lot more than I can say for other teams.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
Jenks

Thornton

MacDougal

Sisco

Aardsma

Floyd

Just to aggravate the hell out of Soxtalk.

This is exactly what i thought when all of the trades were completed. Still is the best option in my opinion... even with aardsma doing as bad as he has done this spring, he will be a big factor in the season. Sisco> logan in nearly every aspect. Haeger? Haeger will not last half of the 2007 season on big league roster (in the pen). Jenks is still not what i consider a closer when i think of one. I have always been able to see his shakiness... and one day when he implodes... it may be fatal. Thorton and macdougal i like alot in their roles... just wish the back end of the bullpen was fixed up better in the off-season. Floyd i just figured would would be in the pen because i figured the sox would want another hard thrower in the rotation (danks).

The one word to describe the white sox bullpen in my opinion is ''worrisome''.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
Unless I am reading it wrong, Danks would not be considered a "hard thrower"

Not what i meant exactly. He pounds batters inside so much..movement can be so good at times that it looks faster than it is in reality. I mean he can hit 94 and has hit 94 on radar... willing to bet it is faster than the average left hander tops out at.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
Not what i meant exactly. He pounds batters inside so much..movement can be so good at times that it looks faster than it is in reality. I mean he can hit 94 and has hit 94 on radar... willing to bet it is faster than the average left hander tops out at.

he usually averages at 90-91 mph... He might rear back and throw 94 once in a while, but not too often. But he does pound hitter inside.