3/19/07 - Kansas City vs. Chicago

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
They've been selecting high for years with no real success. The royals will be the royals

Up until last year we were saying the same things about Detroit.

I have faith in Moore turning things around as the new general manager. Atleast in a shorter span than Baird.

The last sequence with Dye is why I don't want him signed long term.

I swear, it appears he's running through concrete in the outfield.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Russell so far has a good arm with movement. This is the type of prospect that we should keep a hold of. You can draft a million safe pitchers, but something that has a live arm and can miss bats is a good thing.

he needs seasoning but lets keep up with it.

Considering our stance towards pitchers and long term deals, it'd be ideal to hold onto as many pitching prospects as possible.

I wouldn't count on the other veterans signing deals such as Javiers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
Up until last year we were saying the same things about Detroit.

I have faith in Moore turning things around as the new general manager. Atleast in a shorter span than Baird.

Meh, I dont know, detroit could always spend money. KC never will. The key to success is develop, but also spend. TB has probably the most talent in the MLB coming up in their ranks right now, especially in the OF and a few IF'ers like Longoria. But I will never hold my breath at them making the playoffs nor winning a World Series, you just cant compete these days just drafting talent, you need to purchase some pieces.

The only thing that saddens me about losing Gload is that his bat and the way he swings it is the exact way some of our non-boppers should be swinging the stick. Thinking of gap to gap hitting instead of pull and lift. thinking of making contact being a tough out. This as we struggle with 2 hits over 4. Hopefully our O doesnt go into early slumber this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Meh, I dont know, detroit could always spend money. KC never will. The key to success is develop, but also spend. TB has probably the most talent in the MLB coming up in their ranks right now, especially in the OF and a few IF'ers like Longoria. But I will never hold my breath at them making the playoffs nor winning a World Series, you just cant compete these days just drafting talent, you need to purchase some pieces.

Kansas City did spend 55 million on Gill Meche. That may not suggest Baird is suited for the job, but Kansas City needs immediate help with pitching and the only way they'll draw talent is overpaying.

About Tampa, their problem is starting pitching. It's Kazmir and then everyone else. Similar with Kansas City, they're deep in positional players and not much else. If Tampa drafts David Price (a legitimate ace) their chances of competing immediately improves. Hopefully, he doesn't fall to the Royals or we're in trouble for a long time.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Kansas City did spend 55 million on Gill Meche. That may not suggest Baird is suited for the job, but Kansas City needs immediate help with pitching and the only way they'll draw talent is overpaying.

About Tampa, their problem is starting pitching. It's Kazmir and then everyone else. Similar with Kansas City, they're deep in positional players and not much else. If Tampa drafts David Price (a legitimate ace) their chances of competing immediately improves. Hopefully, he doesn't fall to the Royals or we're in trouble for a long time.

55 million wasted was not the correct move. And I agree about TB, if they were smart they would be on the phone shopping the hell out of Upton and maybe Young. That should have netted them a young arm by now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
So far this spring any pitcher that challenges us over the plate gets decked. Anyone that pitches and hits the outside corner shuts us down. Good to see that we havent changed too much.

isn't that true with most good pitchers?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
55 million wasted was not the correct move.

You really have to understand the Royals position to appreciate the move. Their fans realize the deal was ridiculous; but the way they've conducted personnel decisions (ie, throw young pitchers into the fire) hasn't worked. Look at Greinke and his problems. If nothing else, Meche should give some time for the younger pitchers to develop.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
isn't that true with most good pitchers?

Yeah because with our lineup we should be staring at 2 hits through 5. That makes sense. good no great. If this was Santana sure. Lets see what happens when its August and we see some bum with a 7 ERA doing the same thing.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
You really have to understand the Royals position to appreciate the move. Their fans realize the deal was ridiculous; but the way they've conducted personnel decisions (ie, throw young pitchers into the fire) hasn't worked. Look at Greinke and his problems. If nothing else, Meche should give some time for the younger pitchers to develop.

Yes but that production could have come for less money, which would have allowed them to move that cash and use it to sign higher draft picks, which is something that has held them back previously.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
A 5 million dollar risk?

Early in the offseason, yes.

It's because accounts of his velocity around the signing was 93-94mph.

I rather risk 5 million in one season to someone such as Dotel than 4-5 @ 12+million with another pitcher.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Early in the offseason, yes.

It's because accounts of his velocity around the signing was 93-94mph.

I rather risk 5 million in one season to someone such as Dotel than 4-5 @ 12+million with another pitcher.

With incentives it comes out to 7.5 million. For someone that has averaged 14 games the past two seasons, its absurd.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Yes but that production could have come for less money, which would have allowed them to move that cash and use it to sign higher draft picks, which is something that has held them back previously.

I don't know about their payroll, but I also don't believe Dayton Moore would have made the commitment to Dotel and Meche if it would effect the signing of future draft picks. Especially considering how the Royals need production from the draft.