Who is this Adam Russell?

pale_hose

He did look pretty good today, but he has not pitched enough to give him a fair evaluation. I think he has 10.0IP of work with 7Ks, 5 BBs, 14 Hs, and 6ER.

I don't think he is in the running for the 5th starter spot. There is not enough innings to go around for him, Danks, Floyd, and Haeger, while still stretching out the other 4 starters.

Realistically Russell will be back in the minors. The 5th starter spot is already muddled enough without adding him to the mix. Like you said he has good stuff and even managed to strike out Ichiro in his prior appearance. He's a big kid, 6' 8 " ,23 yrs old. He throws over the top but Contreras has been working with him on the 3/4 delivery to take advantage of his height against righties. He already feels comfortable with it.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
i thought I read in the chicago papers that Russell would start the season in the rotation at Birmingham.

charlotte will have phillips, perhaps Gio, the loser of Danks/Floyd, and two others.

Russell started last season at Winston-Salem, A ball and ended going 3-3 in 10 starts in AA with a 4.75 ERA. During the half season at W-S, he went 7-3 with a 2.66 ERA. If KW does choose to move a pitcher at Midseason to fill a hole on the big league club (ahem...LF), and don't rule that out especially if Phillips is out of options...Russell might well make AAA before the end of the year. But, right now, there looks to be a very strong rotation in Charlotte already (Floyd/Haeger/Danks, Phillips, hopefully Sisco, Gio, Broadway). So McCullough and Russell may wind up spending the year at AA, or even more than a year if AAA remains that crowded.

So, from what I read the knock on Russell is that his fastball has basically no movement and his breaking pitches arent exactly MLB quality. From what I have seen this spring he has been experiementing with different arm angles. Today he struck out I believe Emil Brown on a contreras-like fastball breaking in to RH batters. I like what this giant kid brings to the table.

Also in the game today I was more impressed with Gio that I have been in quite some time. His control is obviously not there yet, but its a definite possiblilty that he can be a top of the line guy in the majors. His fastball does stay up at a good velocity. He has the ability to run the fastball in on righties and away from lefties. He also has a couple of good breaking pitches. I think in 2 years this guy is firmly planted as the #2 guy in the rotation.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
So, from what I read the knock on Russell is that his fastball has basically no movement and his breaking pitches arent exactly MLB quality. From what I have seen this spring he has been experiementing with different arm angles. Today he struck out I believe Emil Brown on a contreras-like fastball breaking in to RH batters. I like what this giant kid brings to the table.

I think whoever wrote that's opinion will change very shortly. From the two starts I have seen him pitch, he has good movement on his fastball, and is by far the best one in the organizations. And he has nasty breaking stuff, and those arm angles only help him. At first I thought of him as a bullpen guy, but after these two past starts, I think he can be a stud pitcher at the top of the rotation, he sure does have the stuff.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
Also in the game today I was more impressed with Gio that I have been in quite some time. His control is obviously not there yet, but its a definite possiblilty that he can be a top of the line guy in the majors. His fastball does stay up at a good velocity. He has the ability to run the fastball in on righties and away from lefties. He also has a couple of good breaking pitches. I think in 2 years this guy is firmly planted as the #2 guy in the rotation.

I agree, Gio looked really good. Also, I noticed he has some big legs, which I didn't notice before. I have been high on Gio for a while, and I think he is going to be a stud.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
you had it right the first time... 04 draft. But I am not sure which round.

6th round pick. He was projected higher if I'm not mistaken so we got a little bit of a steal. Usually we'll draft a player who was projected lower from what I've seen the last couple years.

God damn we had a hellova draft in 04 though.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Tonight on "The show" Dickerson and Carmen were saying Ozzie said Adam Russell is now being considered for the 5th spot and or the bullpen....

whitesox.com gives us this:

Surprise, surprise: Adam Russell has gone from promising unknown to holding a firm spot on the roster bubble thanks to another strong start Monday in Surprise. The 6-foot-8 right-hander allowed one run on five hits over four innings against Kansas City's starting lineup, striking out four, and he even survived an Emil Brown comebacker off his right forearm.

After the effort, Guillen broke the somewhat surprising news of Russell's chances to break camp with the White Sox.

"Enjoy the ride because he's in the picture. He's in the mix now," said Guillen of Russell, who has impressed his manager with his mound presence and confidence, not to mention a fastball in the 95-to-97 mph range.

"The way he throws, you never know," Guillen added. "I like it. [General manager] Kenny [Williams] likes it, and everyone likes it here. That doesn't mean he's going to make the team, but he's going to have a chance."

With little opportunity left for Russell to stretch out as a starter, his best chance to earn a roster spot is via a relief role. Russell's goal was to make a name for himself in camp, and in the process, he has put himself in job contention.

"Just them showing that they think I can compete at this level and I can be successful at this level this late in the game really shows that they have an interest in me and that they are going to continue to give me a shot," Russell said. "It has been great."

I love it.

While I'm not ready to anoint him as anything, I'd love for Russell to remain in this organization. It'd just be ridiculous to consider trading him. No one, especially the White Sox, can afford to deal prospects with arms such as his.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

let him throw 5 innings in a split squad game coming up, and if he handles it relatively well, send him to extended spring training and let him throw 6 along with Danks and Floyd. Let the best pitcher out of Russell, Danks, and Floyd win the 5th spot.

If I were Ozzie, I'd break camp with 10 pitchers and go with all 4 of Pods, Erstad, Terrero, and Perez. Perez's bat could help the Sox a ton during that stretch until April 11th when the 5th starter is needed for the first time. Then Mr. 5th Starter comes in and you figure out the roster situation from there, whether Erstad's already on the DL, or you just have faith enough in Mackowiak to play CF once a week (and no more than that).

QUOTE(pale_hose @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
I was watching the game today and saw some dude named Adam Russell throwing. He looked pretty good. He has an above average fastball, a great slider, and a pretty good change. Has he been throwing well this whole spring and is he in the hunt for the 5th spot?

Anything you could want to know about this kid can be found in an interview I did with him last summer. Really great guy and personable. Even after we finished the interview, we just kinda chatted about some other stuff like his hometown of Cleveland and how good LeBron is for his Cavs.

Adam Russell Interview from Futuresox.com

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I said it in the bullpen thread, and I still have a hunch he makes it out of the bullpen.

He'd probably have a better shot of winning a bullpen role, but I know I'd rather have him starting -- whether in Chicago or Birmingham. Hopefully our coaches feel the same way.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

'Tree' is a perfect nickname. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
He'd probably have a better shot of winning a bullpen role, but I know I'd rather have him starting -- whether in Chicago or Birmingham. Hopefully our coaches feel the same way.

Ditto. Looking at him, being a starter is his future and I think he can become a damn good pitcher. A great #3 possible #2 if he can have better control of his arm angles. Has balls and attacks the strike-zone doesn't hurt that he pitches inside quite a bit and doesn't walk too many people. After all that, I'd still like him in the minors though. I don't think he's quite ready yet and major league team or not, this was the Royals he was pitching against. And Tizz yes, I know that you love that he throws hard.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
Ditto. Looking at him, being a starter is his future and I think he can become a damn good pitcher. A great #3 possible #2 if he can have better control of his arm angles. Has balls and attacks the strike-zone doesn't hurt that he pitches inside quite a bit and doesn't walk too many people. After all that, I'd still like him in the minors though. I don't think he's quite ready yet and major league team or not, this was the Royals he was pitching against. And Tizz yes, I know that you love that he throws hard.

He says he wants to emulate the Count. So when does he hit the count up for how to throw that splitter. Count gave that to Freddy late last year and it worked well for him. Imagine this kid with this type of velocity and a splitter, hell even if its only 75% of the counts splitter it would be awesome.

Edited by southsideirish71