Who is this Adam Russell?

pale_hose

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 04:46 AM)
He'd probably have a better shot of winning a bullpen role, but I know I'd rather have him starting -- whether in Chicago or Birmingham. Hopefully our coaches feel the same way.

I think the Sox are 'overthinking' the bullpen situation. Obviously the top three are set in stone. The next two spots I'd give to Logan and Haeger -- Logan has the stuff to succeed, just has to make sure he's 'A-okay' between the ears, and Haeger succeeded in the role last year (sample size issues are understood), will be nice to have on the days where whoever our fifth starter is doesn't have it (and those days will be there, much moreso than last year), and I assume that a knuckler should be able to bounce between a reliever to a starter relatively easily.

The last bullpen spot should be the only bullpen spot up for grabs. I'd give it to Masset because he's already tried and not done very well as a starter, and despite all the starter talk, I don't know how he fits in (he wouldn't get a shot for at least two years, as he's behind Danks, Floyd, Haeger, and perhaps guys like Russell, Gio, and Broadway). Plus, part of the reason the Sox got him was because his great winter league performance -- as a closer.

I should also note that this would leave the Charlotte rotation as Danks/Floyd - Sisco - Broadway - Phillips - Gonzalez/Russell (?). That right there would be worth paying for the minor league TV for 2007.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
And Tizz yes, I know that you love that he throws hard.

It wasn't only the velocity which impressed me but the movement as well. His two seam fastball to left handers yesterday resembled Bartolo Colons. Nice offspeed pitches as well.

This is really what I like to see -- pitchers developing within our system with upside. He may be a bust, or develop arm troubles, but at least the talent is evident.

From Phil Rogers:

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Adam Russell is about as subtle as a lumberjack slamming a door.

He stands 6 feet 8 inches and carries his 250 pounds like a linebacker. He has a beard, not some wimpy soul patch. He was blessed with a cannon of a right arm, which he has learned to use to good effect.

Yet despite a 96-m.p.h. fastball and a .605 winning percentage in the minors, Russell was a well-kept secret when the White Sox added him to their 40-man roster last winter. The secret's out, thanks to a breakout spring training that has put him on the short list of players opening eyes in Arizona and Florida.

"It's been absolutely great," Russell said. "The fact they've given me some starts, kept me around a while after they started making cuts, it shows they've taken an interest in me. That's nice."

Russell turns 24 next month. His outing against Kansas City on Monday (four innings, five hits, one run, four strikeouts) was his second start and fourth game of his first big-league camp. It may also have been his last, since he's considered a major underdog to earn a spot in Ozzie Guillen's rotation.

He has made only 10 starts above Class A, which puts him behind the likes of Gavin Floyd, Charlie Haeger, John Danks, Lance Broadway and Gio Gonzalez on the list of starting candidates.

If not for general manager Ken Williams' stockpiling of arms last winter, Russell would have been right behind Haeger and Broadway in a ranking of the organization's pitching prospects.

"It affects me," Russell said. "Those guys have big-league time. They've proved they can compete. I just have a half-season at Double A. I completely understand that I have to work harder to prove I belong."

Because of his frame and his fastball, Russell has long been a favorite of scouts. Florida selected him in the 26th round of the 2001 draft out of high school, but he felt he needed to mature and grow into his body so he opted to enroll at Ohio University. The White Sox picked him in the sixth round in 2004 on the recommendations of scouts Larry Grefer and Nathan Durst even though he had a 6.28 earned-run average in college.

"I was terrible in college," Russell acknowledged, smiling. "I didn't know what I was capable of. I didn't have any feel for pitching. It took me until pro ball to find out."

Russell gained some confidence with a 9-7 season in low-A in 2005 and appeared to have turned the corner after a sideline session at Myrtle Beach (S.C.) last June. He had always used an over-the-top delivery, but Winston-Salem pitching coach J.R. Perdew and Kirk Champion, the White Sox's minor-league pitching coordinator, suggested he drop down to a three-quarters arm slot.

"I tried it, and right from the start it felt pretty good," Russell said. "My overhand fastball has always been pretty straight. When I drop down, I get a lot more movement."

Russell hopes to emulate Jose Contreras and has had some long discussions with Contreras this spring, using teammates to translate.

"He's been great," Russell said. "When he pitches, I watch everything he does. That's the pitcher I want to be."

Russell worked as a reliever in the Arizona Fall League after the 2006 season, pitching well in an unfamiliar role. But with the way he has thrown the ball this spring, he has established himself as a starter to be watched closely.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
I think the Sox are 'overthinking' the bullpen situation. Obviously the top three are set in stone. The next two spots I'd give to Logan and Haeger -- Logan has the stuff to succeed, just has to make sure he's 'A-okay' between the ears, and Haeger succeeded in the role last year (sample size issues are understood), will be nice to have on the days where whoever our fifth starter is doesn't have it (and those days will be there, much moreso than last year), and I assume that a knuckler should be able to bounce between a reliever to a starter relatively easily.

I believe Haeger will be an unsung hero come the end of the 2007 season, for the reasons you mentioned and more. It just worries me how little he's connected through the media to a potential bullpen position.

If he's on the major league team and producing reasonably well (which is subjective, but I would say less than a 5.00ERA), 100IP should be reached with ease.

I could foresee a situation one afternoon where the 5th starter bombs, Haeger comes out, Sox battle back, game goes into extra innings, and Haeger -- in total -- pitches 12 innings. It may not occur (I'm sure Guillen would take him out at some point), but it would show case his greatest asset -- durability. He'd probably only require several days to rest before pitching again.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

More than anything here, it's good to see someone like Contreras pass on some of his tricks of the trade to a similar sort of younger pitcher in Russell, and obviously he's found it very beneficial.

Russell now falls into the mix of pitchers like Sisco and Massett where the Sox have to decide what's the best course of action for them in the long - term future.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
So, from what I read the knock on Russell is that his fastball has basically no movement and his breaking pitches arent exactly MLB quality. From what I have seen this spring he has been experiementing with different arm angles. Today he struck out I believe Emil Brown on a contreras-like fastball breaking in to RH batters. I like what this giant kid brings to the table.

Also in the game today I was more impressed with Gio that I have been in quite some time. His control is obviously not there yet, but its a definite possiblilty that he can be a top of the line guy in the majors. His fastball does stay up at a good velocity. He has the ability to run the fastball in on righties and away from lefties. He also has a couple of good breaking pitches. I think in 2 years this guy is firmly planted as the #2 guy in the rotation.

In Russell's last outing, I was blown away with how good he looks. Even if it is a straight fastball, the thing is coming in at 95-96 mph. Plus, I recall his switching arm angles almost with every pitch.

I like him for the future. I don't know about #2 in the rotation, but #4 is a distinct possibility.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
Take that Jon Garland you candy ass b****!

Ha, the soul patch quote is great! :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)
That explains the discrepancy between the BP article on Russell and his actual delivery. I thought his tailing fastball was confusing hitters yesterday, and he keeps his velocity up. If he starts in AAA, i expect big things from him

I think that either starting him in AAA or even considering him for the bullpen/5th starter job at this point in his career is pretty foolish, given the way our team is constructed right now. I think Russel falls somewhere around 6th or 7th in line for the last spots in the big leagues right now. We ought to be penciling him in for mid-08 or start of 09.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
I believe Haeger will be an unsung hero come the end of the 2007 season, for the reasons you mentioned and more.

I agree. I like the idea of having a knuckler in our rotation somewhere, throwing off the consistancy of opposing batters. Although if things go wrong with knucklers, they get smashed or miss the K zone, when things go right, they can really mess with an opposing teams confidence and get their timing all screwed up.

I think Haeger is going to come up big this season if given the opportunity.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
I agree. I like the idea of having a knuckler in our rotation somewhere, throwing off the consistancy of opposing batters. Although if things go wrong with knucklers, they get smashed or miss the K zone, when things go right, they can really mess with an opposing teams confidence and get their timing all screwed up.

I think Haeger is going to come up big this season if given the opportunity.

I totally agree. As much as seeing Danks pitch for the sox would delight me, I think many factors should make Haeger the best candidate. I hope today he proves he should win that job. He can eat innings at will, he can mess up alot of the timing for other teams, and having him start his career now will make him that much more awesome when he is 42 and still able to pitch effectively.