Brian Anderson

DBAHO

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Brian Anderson isn't going anywhere, Anderson fans. Relax.

It behooves the White Sox organization to keep Brian Anderson as the team's starting center-fielder. Do you really think the organization does not know this?

Boy, bring in some veteran competition for a struggling, loud-mouthed former-top-prospect and everybody on Soxtalk gets a little bit jumpy.

You can still wear your Anderson fan-boy jerseys for at least another year.

Unless your name is Kenny Williams you probably shouldn't spew things out as if they are cold hard facts.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accusing someone of being an Anderson fanboy just because they think Anderson will be better than Pods and/or Erstad is ridiculous. I don't see any posts here even claiming Anderson is good. I don't think he's good (although I do think he has some chance of being a good player someday).

Look, Anderson hit better than Pods in the 2nd half of last year (and Anderson can play CF).

Pods post ASB: BA .241 OBP .296 SLG .297 OPS .593

Anderson: BA .257 OBP .301 SLG .393 OPS .694

I won't post the stats, but Erstad was actually worse than Anderson last season. And sure, both Erstad and Pods were hurt last season, but Anderson has at least as good a chance to improve as they do of coming back and having great years after surgery.

It's not about thinking Anderson is good -- he isn't. But right now I think it's likely Pods and Erstad will be worse this year.

If the Sox want to ditch Anderson, fine by me. Then pay the price and trade for a real CF that can hit like Baldelli or someone. Don't go half-assed and bring a couple of .700 OPS guys that are in the best case scenario only a marginal improvement.

It's silly to spend $100M to build a contending team and then hamstring it by sticking two lousy hitters in LF and CF.

So, since this thread turned into another Anderson/Erstad bash thread, unsurprisingly, I think I'll just stick to the topic at hand now.

Teams that could actually have real use for Anderson:

Minnesota. On paper, top of the list for need and talent that they could trade for him. But seriously...yeah right.

Florida. #2 on that same list. Right there with Minnesota. Alex Sanchez is the favorite for their CF spot I think. He has the notoriety, if I've got the right Alex Sanchez, of being the first Major Leaguer suspended for Steroids. They might do this deal...but they're only going to do it if they feel the White Sox are selling low. Of course, if the Sox are stupid enough to trade Anderson, they're probably selling low, so this would be the top candidate.

Oakland: They have a lot of OF depth, but they've had injury issues in a lot of places recently. Milton Bradley is penciled in as their CF starter, but I believe that's only because of other injuries, and Bradley hasn't exactly been healthy lately. And you never know when he might shoot someone.

Texas: Kenny Lofton is their starting CF. Do you need to know more? I propose an Anderson for McCarthy swap.

Atlanta: Andruw Jones is a FA at the end of this year, and they always have talent to move.

Philadelphia: I'm not going to say it.

Washington: Hey, a Nook Logan sighting! They'd have room for Brian, but I doubt they'd have anything to trade we'd take.

Cincinnati: Ryan Freel is out there right now, with Griffey moving to RF, but I dunno how thrilled the Reds are about that. They might be willing to go young. Throw in some of that bullpen talent we acquired or a starter and there might be a matchup for a major deal. They always seem interested in moving Dunn.

St. Louis: You think they wouldn't want to move Edmunds to a corner OF spot? They still have Chris Duncan and Preston Wilson as their LF platoon right now.

Chicago (NL): Soriano, CF. If Felix Pie struggles, they may decide Soriano is intolerable out there.

San Fran: Dave Roberts right now is their starting CF, but there's always a real risk of him breaking down soon. Randy Winn and Barry Bonds are their corner OF. A senior citizen team that could use Anderson's legs, especially to cover ground next to Bonds.

San Diego: Mike Cameron is a fixture in their OF, but they're weak in LF with Terrmel Sledge starting there. Anderson and Cameron together would fit very well covering ground at Petco.

I'll add another Balta

Charlotte Knights: Ryan Sweeney is a great RFer, and Owens could be a Podsednik clone. But unless they plan on having Terrero taking over in CF, Anderson may fit the job description very well.

that's my guess for his ultimate landing spot.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
With as infatuated as KW has been with Griffey, the Reds might be high on that list.

Oh god JB, PLEASE don't start that talk again. You are gonna make Soxtalk meltdown with that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
I know he's a great SABR pitcher or w/e you call a pitcher who has great splits, and is signed long term, but the Chris Young/Javy deal hurts more and more by the day. And it hurt really bad the day it happened.

Really? What has Chris Young accomplished so far? Not much. He may turn out to be great, but at this point, he hasn't given AZ anything yet.

Javy, on the other hand, despite his struggles getting past the 5th for the first two-thirds of last year, finished the year with not-horrible numbers. And he got quite good once he made some adjustments in August and September. He'd be a #2, 3 or 4 starter on most teams. I'll take that over the Young question mark at this point.

Now five years from now, it MAY turn out to have been a lousy trade. But right now, I'd say we got the better end of the deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Brian is hitting .303 right now. But still. If they trade Brian then everything they told us about building for the future is full of s***. They should of trade Crede the minute he hit .234 and should of sent Garland gone a while back. They told us for years to wait on these guys, and now we are ready to jetison a 1st round draft pick who plays great defense and has some potential so we can put some < 700 OPS hitting old guy in CF. Give me a break.

The thing about Crede and Garland, I don't see how you could possibly be serious. But what you said about Brian, I agree 100%

The difference between Crede, Garland and Anderson is the organizations outward perception. With Crede and Garland the team kept telling us to be patient and showed the confidence they had in them, with Anderson there has not been that. If Anderson misses the 25 man roster, I think there is a good chance he will be moved if her performs well enough to earn some value. That would leave Sweeney as the backup option to Erstad, something that would make a lot here cringe.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
The difference between Crede, Garland and Anderson is the organizations outward perception. With Crede and Garland the team kept telling us to be patient and showed the confidence they had in them, with Anderson there has not been that. If Anderson misses the 25 man roster, I think there is a good chance he will be moved if her performs well enough to earn some value. That would leave Sweeney as the backup option to Erstad, something that would make a lot here cringe.

The organization isn't dumb. Right now, Sweeney is slated to take over in LF or RF, Anderson in CF, and Fields at 3B. I really don't think it's that hard to figure out.

In Rosenthal's latest column, he mentions that Texas is seriously looking for a RH CF that they can use to rest Lofton. They probably wouldn't mind a younger player either. Texas would seem to be a good trade partner for the Sox -- the Sox have heavily scouted their system. Plus McCarthy could then be reunited with Anderson.

Would Texas do Arias for Anderson? They Sox would probably leap at that, although I wouldn't be so excited...

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
Accusing someone of being an Anderson fanboy just because they think Anderson will be better than Pods and/or Erstad is ridiculous. I don't see any posts here even claiming Anderson is good. I don't think he's good (although I do think he has some chance of being a good player someday).

Look, Anderson hit better than Pods in the 2nd half of last year (and Anderson can play CF).

Pods post ASB: BA .241 OBP .296 SLG .297 OPS .593

Anderson: BA .257 OBP .301 SLG .393 OPS .694

I won't post the stats, but Erstad was actually worse than Anderson last season. And sure, both Erstad and Pods were hurt last season, but Anderson has at least as good a chance to improve as they do of coming back and having great years after surgery.

It's not about thinking Anderson is good -- he isn't. But right now I think it's likely Pods and Erstad will be worse this year.

If the Sox want to ditch Anderson, fine by me. Then pay the price and trade for a real CF that can hit like Baldelli or someone. Don't go half-assed and bring a couple of .700 OPS guys that are in the best case scenario only a marginal improvement.

It's silly to spend $100M to build a contending team and then hamstring it by sticking two lousy hitters in LF and CF.

Great points.

Actually, Ken Williams traded three centerfielders to make way for Brian- Jeremy Reed, Chris Young, and Aaron Rowand.

And as for comparing Anderson's situation to that of Crede and Garland, and even Ventura, you just cannot. When those players were coming up we had not won a world series. We did not have a so-called "window" in which to repeat. There is some pressure (despite what Kenny will admit, and what trades he has made) to win this year as three key players may be walking in Iguchi, Dye, and Mark. Simply because Brian may have to take a step down on the totem pole for the time being does not mean that Kenny and Ozzie no longer envision him as our starting CF of the future. It may simply mean that they don't believe this team can afford to suffer from his growing pains in such a critical year for the franchise.

That being said, if the right player or deal came along, I think most of us would agree that Kenny would not hesitate to move Brian today.

I disagree however, with those that claim that Brian being left off the 25-man roster would seal his fate as gone.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
Actually, Ken Williams traded three centerfielders to make way for Brian- Jeremy Reed, Chris Young, and Aaron Rowand.

And as for comparing Anderson's situation to that of Crede and Garland, and even Ventura, you just cannot. When those players were coming up we had not won a world series. We did not have a so-called "window" in which to repeat. There is some pressure (despite what Kenny will admit, and what trades he has made) to win this year as three key players may be walking in Iguchi, Dye, and Mark. Simply because Brian may have to take a step down on the totem pole for the time being does not mean that Kenny and Ozzie no longer envision him as our starting CF of the future. It may simply mean that they don't believe this team can afford to suffer from his growing pains in such a critical year for the franchise.

That being said, if the right player or deal came along, I think most of us would agree that Kenny would not hesitate to move Brian today.

I disagree however, with those that claim that Brian being left off the 25-man roster would seal his fate as gone.

Well said. I think this topic has been gone over enough now...so let's wait and see what happens. I think all sides of the BA discussion/argument have been made, made again, and then re-made for good measure.

Will he or won't he? We'll know soon enough.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)

So they bring in one of the more injury prone and mediocre players of the past 6 years to be his replacement? That's f'ing brilliant if that's the plan for bringing in a World Series.

I bet Anderson is starting by the end of April.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 06:42 AM)

it's ridiculous to trade Brian. He's still the same 5-tool player that drafted, IMO, and I think he has a long career ahead of him with the Sox. It just didn't get started the way everyone, especially Brian, would have liked.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
it's ridiculous to trade Brian. He's still the same 5-tool player that drafted, IMO, and I think he has a long career ahead of him with the Sox. It just didn't get started the way everyone, especially Brian, would have liked.

I heard Boarchard was a 5 tool player too.

Turns out he was just a tool x 5.