Mackowiak as POSSIBLE trade piece - speculative

NorthSideSox72

Article from the Trib says Mack is maybe drawing trade interest, and that scouts like his bat and versatility. He mentions the Brewers and Brady Clark, specifically. Just to throw another variable into the outfield picture.

I had said earlier that Mack was a given on the roster. That may still be true, since it sounds like its other teams asking the Sox about him. But what do people think about having Clark instead of Mack?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
But what do people think about having Clark instead of Mack?

Another aging mediocre 4th OF (who failed to post a .700 OPS last season). The Brewers would win that trade hands down.

Is the idea to really send a message to Anderson by burying 4 down the depth chart behind Erstad, Terrero, and Clark? I don't see the point, and I really think the Sox should simply cut BA or trade him for peanuts and end the farce. He's obviously out of the Sox plans.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
why not get rid of pablo so mack is of more use to us, and he can take over infield spots more, where his subbing there would give us more power instead of a slap hitter like ozuna.

Mack hit 5 HR last year in about a half season of AB's. Pablo hit 2. I don't see much difference there.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
why not get rid of pablo so mack is of more use to us, and he can take over infield spots more, where his subbing there would give us more power instead of a slap hitter like ozuna.

Pablo is a righty. Mack is a lefty. Which one is Ozzie likely to use as a starter when Erstad and Podsednik average .630 OPS's between them for the first 4 months?

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
touche`.. just when we acquired mack i got so excited and i still feel like we haven't used him effectively. we have too many backups on this team.

I think we have the right amount of backups, and the right ones too - we just have a manager who doesn't use them properly.

The Sox have one good outfielder and if they added Brady Clark, they would still have only one.

I would LOVE to see the Sox add another serious player for the outfield - and, no Erstad, Pods, Anderson (right now) and Sweeney (right now ) are not. I'm not even sure that Rowand is enough of an upgrade to make a deal worthwhile.

Get someone really good ! I could live with any one of the above guys in the OF but not 2 of them. It's just wrong and will probably, by itself ,be enough prevent the Sox from a post season berth .

If they trade Mackowiak, I think they should just go for the best prospect that they can get.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
The Sox have plenty of backup CF and not enough starting CF. If you trade Mack, I would sooner package him with one other player of value such as one of the excess relief pitchers now on the roster to get something more formidable in return.

Regarding the player in return, where would he play? What would you be trying to upgrade?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)
The Sox have one good outfielder and if they added Brady Clark, they would still have only one.

I would LOVE to see the Sox add another serious player for the outfield - and, no Erstad, Pods, Anderson (right now) and Sweeney (right now ) are not. I'm not even sure that Rowand is enough of an upgrade to make a deal worthwhile.

Get someone really good ! I could live with any one of the above guys in the OF but not 2 of them. It's just wrong and will probably, by itself ,be enough prevent the Sox from a post season berth .

If they trade Mackowiak, I think they should just go for the best prospect that they can get.

Getting someone really good would require a combination of Danks, Sweeney, Gio, Anderson, and Fields.

It's not realistic at this point.