Sox make 7 roster moves

jphat007

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

• INF Josh Fields, OF Jerry Owens, OF Ryan Sweeney and RHP Sean Tracey were optioned to Class AAA Charlotte;

• LHP Gio Gonzalez, C Gustavo Molina and INF Robert Valido were reassigned to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 33 players remaining in camp: 15 pitchers, three catchers, nine infielders and six outfielders.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Fifth starter was decided a long time ago, IMO.

If Russell, Haegar, Danks, and Floyd are all still around, nothing has been decided. They wouldn't want all of the extra guys around competing for innings if this were a done deal. That would be completely counter productive to all of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Fifth starter was decided a long time ago, IMO.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
If Russell, Haegar, Danks, and Floyd are all still around, nothing has been decided. They wouldn't want all of the extra guys around competing for innings if this were a done deal. That would be completely counter productive to all of them.

I think all he means is that Floyd was/is going to be given the benefit of the doubt, unless he sucked major, which he hasn't. The way KW pepped up Floyd and said even when he gave up a lot of runs that he is on track, makes me believe Floyd was had a 80% winning the 5th starter spot.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
I think all he means is that Floyd was/is going to be given the benefit of the doubt, unless he sucked major, which he hasn't. The way KW pepped up Floyd and said even when he gave up a lot of runs that he is on track, makes me believe Floyd was had a 80% winning the 5th starter spot.

Benefit of the doubt is way different than decided long ago. We have four starting pitchers hanging aroud, at the deteriment of each other, and that saids that nothing has been decided.

Beyond that, you get the sense that the organization does not really care for Haeger, and while Ozzie has very apparently been impressed by Russell and Danks, both will be better served starting in the minors than in the majors.

(and in case you couldn't tell, I think Floyd will stick)

Has anyone else noticed that Floyd seems like a little cupcake on his interviews? The guy has great stuff (not sure about his control) but nevertheless he doesn't appear to have a killer instinct- that worries me. On the flipside, I don't think Danks is ready but he seems to have more "guts" for lack of a better word.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Has anyone else noticed that Floyd seems like a little cupcake on his interviews? The guy has great stuff (not sure about his control) but nevertheless he doesn't appear to have a killer instinct- that worries me. On the flipside, I don't think Danks is ready but he seems to have more "guts" for lack of a better word.

Isn't that the same thing people said about Garland a few years ago. Not everybody out there acts like Carlos Zambrano.

Edited by HoosierSox

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
Does anyone think Owens/Sweeney will ever get a chance?

If so, when.

Owens doesn't seem like starter material.

Sweeney should be a starter on the Sox next season. Whether that means Dye goes or one of Pods or Erstad, he's going to get his chance.

from whitesox.com

The pitching staff

John Danks and Gavin Floyd have received the primary focus during their quest to become the White Sox fifth starter. But the final stages of this job search appear to have Adam Russell as the late entry and Charlie Haeger dropping out as solely a candidate in relief.

According to pitching coach Don Cooper, Danks will start on Friday against the Rockies at Hi Corbett Field, and Floyd will follow in relief. Floyd will start on Tuesday in Tempe against the Angels, with Danks getting the call on Wednesday back at home against the Diamondbacks. Russell will replace Haeger as the starter for Sunday's game against the Rangers at Tucson Electric Park.

Russell, a 23-year-old non-roster invitee who has never pitched above Double-A Birmingham, has used his 96 mph velocity and drop-down fastball and slider to match Boone Logan in 2006 with his stunning rise into roster contention. Russell could also figure into the bullpen mix, with Andrew Sisco, David Aardsma, Ryan Bukvich, Logan, Haeger and the loser of the fifth starter battle all working to fill two spots.

The coaching staff has been impressed once again with Logan's spring dominance, and Sisco could be used as a starter for Triple-A Charlotte if he doesn't break camp with the White Sox. Bukvich, a 28-year-old right-hander with 48 previous Major League relief appearances, simply is glad to be healthy after battling elbow problems in 2006.

"I'm working forward from that," said Bukvich, who has fanned eight in seven innings this spring. "But there are a lot of guys doing really well. It's good for our coaches to have a tough decision to make. Those guys really have helped me compete and do what I can."

"Everyone has been focused on the fifth spot, but the little side note is, we have some bullpen decisions to be made," Cooper added. "But we are going to make them like the fifth spot. We are not going to rush to judgment. We will let it play out and see where it takes us."

Is this team just completely incapable of learning from its mistakes? The Boone Logan experiment wasn't exactly a huge success last season. The track record of teams falling in love with players based on a several weeks in the thin Arizona air is quite poor. I entered the spring believing that Haeger is the organization's fifth best starter and that Sweeney and Fields are two of our four best oufielders and my opinion hasn't changed.

Edited by Jeremy

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
Is this team just completely incapable of learning from its mistakes? The Boone Logan experiment wasn't exactly a huge success last season. The track record of teams falling in love with players based on a several weeks in the thin Arizona air is quite poor. I entered the spring believing that Haeger is the organization's fifth best starter and that Sweeney and Fields are two of our four best oufielders and my opinion hasn't changed.

Obviously the organization disagrees with you.

Esteban Loaiza was discovered in Arizona's thin air, and he was outstanding. These guys have trained eyes and know the difference between good and bad, regardless of numbers.

Boone Logan is a year older and more acclimated to success at this point. Not many guys go from the bottom of the barrel to the top in a matter of 6 weeks, and that type of change needs time to accept. He didn't have it, and his confidence went with him out the door after Hafner parked one. I bet he'll be fine this year.

I also question whether or not you've ever seen Fields play the outfield, probably because he's not an outfielder.

Still hope that Floyd can come out and "earn" the 5th starter's job with another good outing.

Short - term, Danks may just be the little bit of a better option, but long - term rushing him could have consequences. And we've got no need to do that in my opinion.

As for Russell who knows what's going to happen with him. He's this year's version of Boone Logan and we all know where he started the season in 2006.