Alford to New Mexico?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
Bruce Pearl isn't leaving Tenn for Iowa. That said if Alford goes I'd think we'd even consider making Neal the HC. I think we would have liked to have had the ISU coach and Iowa is the school he'd have preferred to go to (compared to ISU) but that is done now.

I don't understand why Alford would rather go to New Mexico. He has a good contract at Iowa although I'm sure he knows he's in pretty deep right now.

I would be completely shocked if Pearl did go to Iowa, but even if there was a chance he would be my first choice.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now that we're just waiting for the press conference, I'd like to add a :hawk: :P

The names that I'm hearing the most are Altman, Kruger, and Crean. I might give Gary Barta a hug if he's able to bring in Crean. Other than that, sounds like we're at risk of losing Tyler Smith as well as a few recruits. However, we're gonna suck balls next year anyway and the new coach can hopefully bring some of his own recruits along. We're just a wee bit excited about the fact that he's finally gone here :cheers

QUOTE(shaneomacfan @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Ok, now that we're just waiting for the press conference, I'd like to add a :hawk: :P

The names that I'm hearing the most are Altman, Kruger, and Crean. I might give Gary Barta a hug if he's able to bring in Crean. Other than that, sounds like we're at risk of losing Tyler Smith as well as a few recruits. However, we're gonna suck balls next year anyway and the new coach can hopefully bring some of his own recruits along. We're just a wee bit excited about the fact that he's finally gone here :cheers

Altman would be a great choice. Didn't Crean turn down the Illinois job in 03? If that's the case, I don't see why he would go to Iowa. I happen to think he is overrated anyway.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
Altman would be a great choice. Didn't Crean turn down the Illinois job in 03? If that's the case, I don't see why he would go to Iowa. I happen to think he is overrated anyway.

Yeah, Illinois decided Matta and Gillespie weren't good enough and were turned down by Crean before hiring Weber. Oops.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Yeah, Illinois decided Matta and Gillespie weren't good enough and were turned down by Crean before hiring Weber. Oops.

Guenther wanted someone who would stay with the program. Not sure if Illinois was a career for Matta or Gillispie. Weber WUBS the Big Ten and if he can get this team back to the top again, I doubt he would bolt for a job like Kentucky. Gotta remember that when you are bagging on him for the millionth time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
He'd never come back to the Big 10, and it has nothing to do with how Illinois fans feel about him.

Actually, Pearl has kept in touch with many of his Iowa City ties. If the offer is big enough, he would take the job in a heartbeat. That said, I don't know if the university wants to have the Pearl/Thomas/Illini story go on and on an on, as it most assuredly would if he came back. He's a great coach. Alford leaving is going to be good for Iowa basketball and good for Alford IMO.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
I would love to see Pearl in the big 10. I love him as a coach, and would love to see how horrid the illini feel when they lose to their favorite enemy.

It would be amusing to see Pearl go to Michigan and rip Illinois repeatedly. The guy catches Illinois cheating in the recruiting process and somehow he's a villain to the Illini. Pearl is a great coach.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
It would be amusing to see Pearl go to Michigan and rip Illinois repeatedly. The guy catches Illinois cheating in the recruiting process and somehow he's a villain to the Illini. Pearl is a great coach.

Out of curiosity what team are you a fan of?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Out of curiosity what team are you a fan of?

Honestly, I can't say that I'm a fan of any college basketball team. I graduated from Illinois, and I've never understood the absolute hatred for Bruce Pearl that fans of Illini basketball have.

I'm pretty ambivalent about college athletics in general, I think the NCAA is tremendously hypocritical and obnoxious organization and the whole system just blows. But I really like basketball. The same goes for Illinois, I want to like the University I graduated from but what's happened lately -- the DUIs, the coverup, the burglaries, the AD acting like a bad little-league baseball parent have left me pretty disgruntled. I suppose my posts about Illinois athletics are more obnoxious than they should be because I'm disappointed.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
Honestly, I can't say that I'm a fan of any college basketball team. I graduated from Illinois, and I've never understood the absolute hatred for Bruce Pearl that fans of Illini basketball have.

I'm pretty ambivalent about college athletics in general, I think the NCAA is tremendously hypocritical and obnoxious organization and the whole system just blows. But I really like basketball. The same goes for Illinois, I want to like the University I graduated from but what's happened lately -- the DUIs, the coverup, the burglaries, the AD acting like a bad little-league baseball parent have left me pretty disgruntled. I suppose my posts about Illinois athletics are more obnoxious than they should be because I'm disappointed.

so you say it would be funny to see michigan rip illinois because illinois is embarrassing.

bruce pearl isn't embarrassing? getting kicked out of high school games for harassing refs, showing up at the same games in stretch limos, being an attention whore who body paints himself to get extra pub?

and michigan isn't embarrassing? they also have a hoops player who was busted this year (abram). they also are one of the few basketball programs that had final four appearances vacated from recruiting misdeeds. last i checked michigan also had two student-athletes in court last week on assault charges.

glass houses, man, glass houses.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)

Pearl never caught Illinois with anything, hense the hate.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
so you say it would be funny to see michigan rip illinois because illinois is embarrassing.

bruce pearl isn't embarrassing? getting kicked out of high school games for harassing refs, showing up at the same games in stretch limos, being an attention whore who body paints himself to get extra pub?

and michigan isn't embarrassing? they also have a hoops player who was busted this year (abram). they also are one of the few basketball programs that had final four appearances vacated from recruiting misdeeds. last i checked michigan also had two student-athletes in court last week on assault charges.

glass houses, man, glass houses.

Michigan has problems just like Illinois -- I wasn't holding them up as an example of a great program. I was just guessing that job might interest Pearl.

As for the other stuff about Pearl, I didn't know he had gotten kicked out of high school basketball games. That's pretty lame.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
being an attention whore who body paints himself to get extra pub?

Funny and ballsy, in my opinion. :P

Most fan bases would be luving it and eating it up if they had that kind of coach doing something goofy like that.