Is Floyd being groomed for the pen?

BearSox

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
Tall people = god's gift to the pitching mound. I mean just think of all the steller 6' 10" pitchers of the past.

There's currently 3 league average or better 6'10"+ pitchers in the bigs and considering how often you see 6'10" baseball players drafted, I'd say the ratio of successes to failures is probably pretty high, at least over the past decade or so. Height can be an outstanding tool for a pitcher, the arm angle alone is a huge plus.

Problem is everyone has outpitched Floyd so far so technically he doesn't even deserve a roster spot, but I believe hes out options and cant get to the Minors without being put on waivers. If the rotation is MB/Count/Gar/Javy/Danks and the pen is Jenks/Mac/Thorton/Aardsma/Sisco/Logan or Masset then where does Floyd go. Do the sox just give him the last pen spot where he didn't beat our the other two guys just by default cuz he is out of options. That would be awful, holding our team and pen back not to mention the other guys becuase of that, but if he cant go to AAA then what do you do? Cut him, waivers, trade?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
He has an option.

I'd be furious if he made it over, say, Haeger.

Floyd is garbage.

Haeger hasn't done anything either to earn the spot. Right now, it seems to be between Floyd, Haeger, Aardsma, and Sisco for the final spot in the pen, and none of those guys really deserve it, but if I was a gambling man, I'd bet Floyd would make the team.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Haeger hasn't done anything either to earn the spot. Right now, it seems to be between Floyd, Haeger, Aardsma, and Sisco for the final spot in the pen, and none of those guys really deserve it, but if I was a gambling man, I'd bet Floyd would make the team.

What exactly are you basing that on, performance?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I am basing the Floyd pick on that Kenny Williams really likes Floyd, and wants him to make the team one way or another.

I'll be very upset with Williams if he gives Floyd a bullpen position.

Hell, even with Haeger's bed wetting several days ago he has at least proven himself capable of succeeding in the minor leagues. His durability also far outweights Floyd's Arizona fall league potential.

Let him go to AAA and speak to Coop through a video phone. The team shouldn't suffer because Williams and our scouts noticed something in Floyd which nearly every piece of evidence suggests doesn't exist.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:21 AM)
So we've got Floyd, Aardsma, Sisco for the last spot(assuming Masset and Logan are in).

Its like the best of the worst to me...I'd go for Sisco, let Floyd go work in the bandbox, Knights Stadium.

You forgot Haeger, who is also in the running for the pen.