so... it looks like Danks?

bkmoney

With Danks doing pretty well today and Floyd well doing pretty bad, you guys think the race is over? I know there is definitely time for another start for both of them, but I think Danks just has it already.

I haven't been following Russell much though, when is he supposed to be pitching next? Does he really have a shot?

I want to see some talk from ozzie, KW and coop on whats going down.

:gosox3:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danks looks to be the one.. 2 lefties in a rotation can never hurt. Let him take his bumps at the mlb level. Even if he starts his career in the majors like Garland did and slowly develop over the years.. im fine w/ that. If he did get that 5th spot, Kudos to him for steping up his game at the perfect time!

Contreras, Buerhle, Garland, Vazquez and Danks...

not too shabby!

I would have hated it if Danks would have started then Buehrle the next day, but since Count is the starter if it goes 5th, 1st, 2nd, etc.. then it's a nice mixup. Danks has earned it. Floyd is done IMO maybe one more shot but his chances are very, very slim. Looks more like a Russell-Danks battle now.

Good! He has earned it. I'm not concerned about pushing him out there too soon. I like the kids makeup and he realizes he'll take his lumps at times starting out. Hopefully the fans will realize this and cut him a little slack. I like having 2 lefties in the rotation as well.

If it all works out I only wish we could have gotten the same return from the freddy deal as the mccarthy deal, but oh well.

I hope we aren't rushing him either.. we'll see

*edited to not be backwards, thanks Wanne*

Edited by bkmoney

QUOTE( @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Good! He has earned it. I'm not concerned about pushing him out there too soon. I like the kids makeup and he realizes he'll take his lumps at times starting out. Hopefully the fans will realize this and cut him a little slack. I like having 2 lefties in the rotation as well.

I don't expect him to immediately pitch lights out, but -- at the least -- match McCarthy's production in Texas. Which is, what, ~5.00-5.50ERA with 160-180 IP? That's hardly an unreasonable expectation for our top pitching prospect.

As much as we don't see it, there are pitchers out there who immediately produce. It's not a foreign concept. We'll need Danks or whomever to produce reasonably well if we want to win this division. This doesn't mean our success alone hinges on the 5th starter. Or that mimicking Liriano's domination from last season is necessary. He just can't be providing the ball club with a 7+ERA. Perhaps in 2005 the rotation could have absorbed such a record, but I'm not as confident with the current veterans.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
I just hope we're not moving him too quickly...

My thoughts exactly.

Still he's earned it with his pitching so far in ST

I was really hoping Floyd would be the one who came out and pitched well, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
My thoughts exactly.

Still he's earned it with his pitching so far in ST

I was really hoping Floyd would be the one who came out and pitched well, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I was hoping Floyd would pitch well too. If he doesn't get the 5th starter job, they should keep him in the bigs to work long relief. I think that Floyd needs to work on throwing strikes/getting ahead of hitters. From what I've seen and heard of him, that is his only obstacle to success.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
I was hoping Floyd would pitch well too. If he doesn't get the 5th starter job, they should keep him in the bigs to work long relief. I think that Floyd needs to work on throwing strikes/getting ahead of hitters. From what I've seen and heard of him, that is his only obstacle to success.

Um, please don't put him on the 25 man roster. This guy needs to prove he can get minor leaguers out, and then he can think of getting major leaguers out in a year.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:41 AM)
So what are the drawbacks to Danks? He tends to be a bit wild, doesn't he?

His high fastball is going to go a long way at the Cell.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)

I have this persistent sinking feeling that either Floyd begins the season in the bullpen, or begins in AAA and is immediately promoted (regardless of success in Charlotte) once someone begins to struggle.

Answer this for me -- how does Williams answer the question of trading Garcia, and the perceived benefits it was supposed to provide the 2007 White Sox? He mentioned it on numerous occasions when media members were wondering whether such a move was a precursor to rebuilding.

His only saving grace would be if Garcia is injured and requires a large amount of time on the disabled list.

Now, because someone is bound to misinterpret what I'm saying, I believe dealing Garcia was necessary. Problem is, when the general manager mentions himself a trade was configured for our short-term and long term success -- and there's no 'short -term' option to speak of -- you're going to look rather foolish.

Even though many of you guys will disagree with me, I still think we are moving him too fast. Another year in the minors and he should be set for next year. The way the Sox are talking this might be(should be) our number 1 starter in a couple of years. I think if he went to the minors he would come back next year ready to make a HUGE impact. I know we dont have much of a choice with Floyd pitching the way he is, but I dont agree with him starting the season with the sox.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:44 AM)
I have this persistent sinking feeling that either Floyd begins the season in the bullpen, or begins in AAA and is immediately promoted (regardless of success in Charlotte) once someone begins to struggle.

Answer this for me -- how does Williams answer the question of trading Garcia, and the perceived benefits it was supposed to provide the 2007 White Sox? He mentioned it on numerous occasions when media members were wondering whether such a move was a precursor to rebuilding.

His only saving grace would be if Garcia is injured and requires a large amount of time on the disabled list.

Now, because someone is bound to misinterpret what I'm saying, I believe dealing Garcia was necessary. Problem is, when the general manager mentions himself a trade was configured for our short-term and long term success -- and there's no 'short -term' option to speak of -- you're going to look rather foolish.

You're better off just forgetting that quote by KW. It seems like KW was intent on trading a starter at the Winter Meetings, and he might have been a little quick to pull the trigger on the last day. It's pointless trying to prove to some people on this board that baseball executives were shocked at how little we got for Garcia. It was the same people who were quoting Garcia's trade prestige in that GM poll before the trade happened (and how they thought we'd get the world for him).

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
Oh CRAP don't tell me that, LOL!

Well on the upside, didn't Thorton have control issues before Coop got a hold of him?

Yeah, he also had a 97 mph fastball.

QUOTE(whitesox07champs @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
Even though many of you guys will disagree with me, I still think we are moving him too fast. Another year in the minors and he should be set for next year. The way the Sox are talking this might be(should be) our number 1 starter in a couple of years. I think if he went to the minors he would come back next year ready to make a HUGE impact. I know we dont have much of a choice with Floyd pitching the way he is, but I dont agree with him starting the season with the sox.

I'm not thrilled with rushing him, either. Danks just happens to be the best option available. The priorities are either to secure the 5th starters spot with the best available pitcher, or the next best (which is likely Russell) in place of developing John in AAA.

If Russell dominates Texas tomorrow, it may present our coaches with an interesting decision. Both could use seasoning; but both can't be sent down either. One has to be selected.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)

Flash, hindsight is 20/20. And Arizona isn't the best place to prove your pitching prowess. At the time, Floyd was a good choice for the 5th starter. Just like Sirotka was for the Blue Jays, Benson was for the Orioles, etc. You can't live in the past andput every trade under the microscope based on a short amount of Spring Training time. You just can't.

GM's are like quarterbacks...they get too much credit for a good trade and are ripped too much for a bad one.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 02:17 AM)
Flash, hindsight is 20/20. And Arizona isn't the best place to prove your pitching prowess. At the time, Floyd was a good choice for the 5th starter. Just like Sirotka was for the Blue Jays, Benson was for the Orioles, etc. You can't live in the past andput every trade under the microscope based on a short amount of Spring Training time. You just can't.

GM's are like quarterbacks...they get too much credit for a good trade and are ripped too much for a bad one.

What in the world has Floyd done to be a good choice for 5th starter coming into this season?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
Um, please don't put him on the 25 man roster. This guy needs to prove he can get minor leaguers out, and then he can think of getting major leaguers out in a year.

His high fastball is going to go a long way at the Cell.

I agree to some extent, but Floyd has spent quite some time in the minors now. Perhaps just spending some time in the big leagues will calm him down and allow him to relax and just throw. Working with Cooper HAS to be better than going to Charlotte.

And while Floyds high fastballs will get rocked, so will s***ty knucklers. Haeger did well last year, but I'm not convinced that he will be an effective bullpen option this year. When he is bad, he is going to get lit up in ways only Clif Politte can envision.

I think Floyd to the pen is the right move.