Danks wins White Sox fifth starter's job

Linnwood

Danks wins White Sox fifth starter's job

03/24/2007 7:22 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen officially named John Danks the White Sox fifth starter on Saturday afternoon, a move decided upon during a morning meeting with his coaching staff and general manager Ken Williams.

Danks actually was called into Guillen's office and found out the news after Guillen had provided the information to the media only minutes after a 5-4 loss to the Diamondbacks.

"I thought I was going to the other side," said Danks with a smile, who talked briefly with Guillen and assistant general manager Rick Hahn but thought he might have been reassigned to the Minor League camp. "It's usually not good when you get called in, but I'm excited about it. Now, I have to go out there and do the job."

Over six Cactus League games, including two starts, Danks posted a 2-0 record and 4.32 ERA in 16 2/3 innings. Guillen liked the way Danks attacked the strike zone and appeared almost fearless on the mound, a quality that will be put to the test in Danks' first Major League season.

The 21-year-old from Round Rock, Texas, made just 13 starts and pitched in 14 games overall during his lone Triple-A stop last year with Oklahoma. Danks has one more Cactus League start Wednesday against Arizona at Tucson Electric Park and will make his big-league debut in an afternoon contest at U.S. Cellular Field against the Twins on April 7.

"If I'm not getting the job done, I know they're going to bring in the best option for my spot," Danks said. "But I'm glad to be given the first opportunity. The ball's in my court just like it's been all spring.

"Now, it's time to go out there and get outs," Danks added. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can live with this. I was thinking: "Maybe I should get his name on a jersey--I like that name."

Then reality fell on me like a piano--WTF was I, thinking?

(from a guy who bought a Loaiza jersey two weeks before he was traded).

But hey at least we can stop talking about it now and move on to more important things, like bring Rowand back...

J U S T K I D D I N G....

//dives for cover

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
So much for Russell getting a say in the competition.

Not that it means he shouldn't get a thought, but he did have a 4.75 ERA in Birmingham last year.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)

I bought a Rowand jersey a few weeks before he was traded. Still wear it to games proudly though :P

Edited by Felix

I think a Rowand jersey will never go out of style.

BTW I like what I saw of Erstad today. The team seeems to like him. Jon Garland spoke highly of him in the booth. Speaking of which, have they been doing that all ST? I was startled that after pitching, there he was, on the air with Hawk & DJ. Cool.

No doubt he pitched the best, so he deserves it. I like how he is a fighter and will pitch in the strike zone. He's got good enough stuff where when he pitches in the zone, he won't get lit up. I think Danks will be a top-rookie of the year candidate. As the fifth starter, he should be going up against other teams s*** starters and I like Danks' chances to have a 4.5 ish ERA or maybe lower and with our offense, being in the fifth spot, 14 wins is not out of the question.

At least KW bit the bullet with Floyd. I am not enamoured with the thought of Danks being in 2007s rotation, but I do hope he does well obviously. I would be shocked if he didn't suffer some growing pains during the season, and also believe he will most likely be a resident of Charlotte, NC at some point this summer. One thing about him is even if he does get his brains beat in and he isn't ready, he doesn't appear to be the type that will let ruin any chance of success later on. It will be interesting to see how he and McCarthy compare this season. I do like the fact that Danks throws strikes. Ozzie also said earlier that he wanted Logan to be the long man. I guess this would mean that Sisco will be on the team as a reliever.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
No doubt he pitched the best, so he deserves it. I like how he is a fighter and will pitch in the strike zone. He's got good enough stuff where when he pitches in the zone, he won't get lit up. I think Danks will be a top-rookie of the year candidate. As the fifth starter, he should be going up against other teams s*** starters and I like Danks' chances to have a 4.5 ish ERA or maybe lower and with our offense, being in the fifth spot, 14 wins is not out of the question.

Considering he won 9 games combined in AA and AAA last year, and is making a pretty big leap, 14 wins is a little unrealistic.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Congrats to Danks, he definitely proved himself over Floyd this spring. Still, I feel as if we are rushing him along... I guess time will tell.

He's been rushed at every level and he adjusted. The guy is a gamer, and flat out went to the park every day and took that damn job. He already has shown me more desire and will than other pitchers have after several seasons.

2 Lefties too!!!

And then this is the headline on the rangers page:

Brandon McCarthy had trouble finding a groove on Saturday as he allowed five runs on six hits and four walks in 2 2/3 innings.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
He'll be fine. All we want is a .500 ish record and an ERA below 5. He can do it. Congrats Danks and I'm glad we made this decision.

I'm actually expecting slightly less in regard to ERA. Perhaps 5.00-5.50 with a record around .500.

Oh, and guess who he'll be pitching against his first start in the majors? Johan Freakin' Santana. Good luck, son. Better keep us in the game.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
Oh, and guess who he'll be pitching against his first start in the majors? Johan Freakin' Santana. Good luck, son. Better keep us in the game.

Damn, and against a division rival at that. Welcome to the bigs kid.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I'm actually expecting slightly less in regard to ERA. Perhaps 5.00-5.50 with a record around .500.

Are you sure about that? Minnesota usually isn't a team to skip the 5th spot, especially that early.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
Damn, and against a division rival at that. Welcome to the bigs kid.

Can't make excuses for Danks. That's the hand he's dealt. His first several projected starts are: MIN, @CLE, TEX, @KC, ANA.

Considering this game is on FOX, and may possibly be seen by a large percentage of the nation, Danks could really make a name for himself with a good outing.

I figure if he's exiting the first month of the season with 25 innings pitched and ~5.40ERA, we're in fairly good shape concerning his development.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
Are you sure about that? Minnesota usually isn't a team to skip the 5th spot, especially that early.

Actually, I'm not too sure. There's a good chance you're right with Minnesota's off day on the 5th. Danks may be spared Santana depending on Minnesota's desire to avoid their 5th starter.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
I can live with this. I was thinking: "Maybe I should get his name on a jersey--I like that name."

Then reality fell on me like a piano--WTF was I, thinking?

But hey at least we can stop talking about it now and move on to more important things, like bring Rowand back...

J U S T K I D D I N G....

//dives for cover

Time to buy a Pods jersey and a Vazquez jersey.