Danks wins White Sox fifth starter's job

Linnwood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
I thought Ozzie hated young white kids

Oh, absolutely despises them. It just so happens Guillen sees this image whenever Danks pitches:

15750.jpg

And he's referred to as Jesus Danko -- a second generation Mexican immigrant who is the co-owner of a profitable burrito stand. Side stories help reinforce the decision.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 11:57 PM)
Oh, absolutely despises them. It just so happens Guillen sees this image whenever Danks pitches:

15750.jpg

And he's referred to as Jesus Danko -- a second generation Mexican immigrant who is the co-owner of a profitable burrito stand. Side stories help reinforce the decision.

:lolhitting

Congrats to John. When that trade first happened, I never thought he would be replacing B-Mac as the 5th starter this year.

I hope he is up for Prime Time Baseball on FOX on April 7th vs Sidney Ponson.

Edited by RME JICO

Let's rant for an early Sunday.

So the Sun-Times can't rip the failure of Floyd as Garcia isn't anything at this time. Will they in true Sun-Times fashion admit that maybe Williams was right and compare the ST stats of McCarthy to Masset and Danks as being legit to evaluate the trade at this time. Probably not, they will run a story on how young pitchers are rushed. That's all I got to say about that.

First off, I love that they are going ot use him to pitch every fifth day. THE FIFTH STARTER THING MEANS s*** HE IS AS LIKELY TO FACE A NUMBER 1 THAN A NUMBER 5 AS THE SEASON GOES ON!!!!!!!!!! God I hate the 5th starter term. I like every guy going every time that are due. I think in the grand scheme of things this helps all ofour pitchers.

Second, I gotta say, he looked good, let's hope. Lefties in the Central have success and there are a ton of them.

Finally, I think Pods starts the season on the DL and they blame the cold weather as both Perez and Anderson can make the team. I also think they may try and go with ten pitchers one being Haegar and see how it works...... Put a gun to my head, BA is going to AAA.

Oh and I bought tickets for his first scheduled start. Santana will most likely no-hit the Sox so no beer shower that day.

Edited by Jenks Heat

Unless the Twinkies are going to a 4 man rotation this year (which we know is not the case, right?) Danks will NOT be facing Santana on Saturday April 7th. He will be, most likely, facing Ponson or some other scrub the Twins will be throwing out there...Saturday is the 5th game of the year for the Twins as well gentleman lets get our facts straight ;-)

Danks interview:

Only tried to make a good impression in ST and hoped to get called up later. Friendly competition between him, Floyd, and Haeger. They played golf and cards everyday.

Never got nervous about the competition.

Describes himself as a strike thrower and trying to keep the ball on the ground.

Buehrle treated him very well and put him under his wing. Said he's never been treated better by a veteran.

Wow, that was basically pointless. Of course they were planning on talking to PK and he canceled, so this was on short notice.

Sounds like a confident guy. I like it.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
Unless the Twinkies are going to a 4 man rotation this year (which we know is not the case, right?) Danks will NOT be facing Santana on Saturday April 7th. He will be, most likely, facing Ponson or some other scrub the Twins will be throwing out there...Saturday is the 5th game of the year for the Twins as well gentleman lets get our facts straight ;-)
What are you talking about:

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Congrats to John. When that trade first happened, I never thought he would be replacing B-Mac as the 5th starter this year.

I hope he is up for Prime Time Baseball on FOX on April 7th vs Sidney Ponson.

Edited by RME JICO

What are you talking about:

People in this thread earlier were saying that Danks was going to face Santana on Saturday. If the Twins decide to go on a 4 man rotation it will happen but I don't see them doing that and rather matching Santana vs Contreras on Sunday.

That's what I am talking about.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...on.36727d0.html

Will fans say Danks for nothing?

03:25 AM CDT on Sunday, March 25, 2007

ksherrington@dallasnews.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. – Brandon McCarthy figures there's no reason he'd monitor John Danks' results in Chicago's rotation, which puts the latest Rangers starter in a distinct minority among the faithful of his new team.

Any day now, some smart-aleck desk guy is going to suggest that the paper run their records side-by-side this season.

And if the comparison were to start, say, today, this is how it would look:

Pitcher W-L ERA Inn. H R ER W K

Danks 2-0 4.32 16 2/3 17 9 8 4 12

McCarthy 1-1 10.45 10 1/3 19 12 12 7 11

"I don't put a lot of stock in spring numbers," McCarthy said, and that's exactly what I'd say, too, if those were my numbers.

Unfortunately, casual Rangers fans aren't so sophisticated. They can remember when Danks was the hope of the club's future – the first or last "D" in "DVD," we were never quite sure which – only now Thomas Diamond is on the DL and Edinson Volquez is on the back lot, and Danks is knocking them dead in Peoria.

Your casual Ranger fan was already taking something for his or her blood pressure at the thought of Chris Young in San Diego. And in that deal the Rangers still got Aki Otsuka.

Prediction: If the numbers above hold for the regular season, I'm not thinking fans will console themselves by thinking at least they got David Paisano, too.

An organization historically challenged when it comes to pitching can't make a colossal mistake with a young pitcher, much less in back-to-back seasons. The locals are less forgiving every day in these matters.

All spring they've heard the lone question in the rotation is the battle for fifth, behind McCarthy and Robinson Tejeda. The idea was that assuring McCarthy and Tejeda their spots might take some of the pressure off.

No one's pulling their tickets now, either. Ron Washington claims he isn't even overly concerned that McCarthy has given up five homers this spring, which, extrapolated over a full season, would get you kicked off a slow-pitch softball team.

Washington simply wants McCarthy and everyone else behind Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla to throw strikes.

"Command, command, command," is how he put it.

When 71 pitches don't get you out of the third inning, it can hardly be called a command performance.

Take Saturday's first inning: McCarthy strikes out Oakland's leadoff hitter, Bobby Crosby; gives up a bloop double to Nick Swisher; hits Milton Bradley; breaks Mike Piazza's bat; walks Dan Johnson and strikes out Marco Scutaro.

And that's his best inning. For his part, McCarthy was happy with his strikeout of Piazza in the second. But the same inning, he also gave up a two-run homer to eighth-place hitter Travis Buck.

"I didn't feel like I threw awful," McCarthy said, and you shudder to think just what that might look like.

McCarthy blamed some of his problems on umpire Brian Knight's strike zone, which didn't accommodate McCarthy's money pitch, his change-up.

And in fairness, the strike zone did, indeed, seem a little erratic. But sometimes that happens with humans.

"Maybe the ump missed some pitches," Washington said, "but he didn't miss that many."

So what does it mean? Before anyone panics and starts calling Jon Daniels' deal with Chicago another mistake, you'd be advised to heed McCarthy's counsel on spring numbers.

Better to consider track records, which is how McCarthy ended up in the Rangers' rotation instead of Danks in the first place.

Get this: The performance that fueled the excitement over McCarthy's future came in Arlington. Filling in for El Duque late in the season two years ago, McCarthy shut out the Rangers on a two-hitter over 7 2/3 innings.

He's started two games in the Ballpark. His first one, he gave up four home runs in five innings.

His impression of his new home? "Nice place," he said. "It's hot in the summer."

And windy. Like a big hair dryer.

"My first two starts," he said, dryly, "I felt like I was on the surface of the sun.

"I wished for wind. Any wind."

No you don't, Brandon. This will be hard enough as it is.

Yeah Danks def deserved the 5th spot over Gavin Floyd, but why isn't anyone big on Adam Russel!! He pitched great all spring. Everyone says Danks has great mound presence, etc, how bout Russel standing in at like 6'7 and bringing the heat!!! I hope we see more of him in the future!!