3/30/07 Sox @ Braves 6:05 CT

Kalapse

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A plus changeup is what could throw Jenks into the realm of Gagne 2003/4. Even if he were to remain 96-98, as was the range of velocity for large portion of last season, that's still devastating with two effective offspeed pitches.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SO if he hits .275 and fields decently will u have a problem with him or continue to beat a dead horse ?

I think there's a chance he can hit .275 this year, but it'll be with a .320 OBP and sub .400 OPS.

Brian Anderson can hit better than that and his fielding will be much more than "decent."

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
Not every left pitcher throws a changeup that tails away from a righty. And he doubled up on the pitch. Give the pitcher some credit. Even the best hitters make outs 70% of the time.

We lead the AL last year with a .290 average against righties, and we were 11th out of 14 teams in the AL against Lefities. So we can sugar coat it all we want, we need to improve against lefties.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)
SO if he hits .275 and fields decently will u have a problem with him or continue to beat a dead horse ?

If he hits .275, that'll mean that his OBP is (most likely) right around .330. So that'll mean -- not only will we have a below average OBP at the leadoff spot, we'll have a below average OBP at the #2 spot.

Honestly, .275 is right around what I'm expecting from Erstad. .275/.330/.375 seems about right... That'd be awesome if he was on the bench or if he was in left and Anderson was in center.

Willie Harris = 78% success rate on SBs.

Scott Podsednik = 76% success rate on SBs.

And that doesn't take into account the what, 30 (?) or so times that Pods has been picked off over his career. Just 'cause Willie didn't run every time he got on base doesn't mean he didn't know how to steal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
We lead the AL last year with a .290 average against righties, and we were 11th out of 14 teams in the AL against Lefities. So we can sugar coat it all we want, we need to improve against lefties.

I agree we need to improve against lefties but that at bat wasnt sugarcoated. You know as well as I do that Hall and maybe Perez were supposed to help in that area . It just didnt pan out. Sox win 3-2 .

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Willie Harris = 78% success rate on SBs.

Scott Podsednik = 76% success rate on SBs.

And that doesn't take into account the what, 30 (?) or so times that Pods has been picked off over his career. Just 'cause Willie didn't run every time he got on base doesn't mean he didn't know how to steal.

Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt a pickoff count as a caught stealing ?

nice tune up for Mark.

would love to see more games where thornton and jenks clean up for two innings.

brain anderson continues to take on chuck norris dimensions on soxtalk. I hope this debate doesn't end - the love for Brian/hatred for Erstad is pretty funny.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
nice tune up for Mark.

would love to see more games where thornton and jenks clean up for two innings.

brain anderson continues to take on chuck norris dimensions on soxtalk. I hope this debate doesn't end - the love for Brian/hatred for Erstad is pretty funny.

What Anderson love? Seriously, name me more than 2-3 posters that have actually said they really like Anderson as a ballplayer. I know I don't.

Nice job Thornton! Note to KW, make more trades with Basavi.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree we need to improve against lefties but that at bat wasnt sugarcoated. You know as well as I do that Hall and maybe Perez were supposed to help in that area . It just didnt pan out. Sox win 3-2 .

....and why didn't it "just pan out" with Eduardo Perez? Was it his fault the Sox had too many OF's?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
If he hits .275, that'll mean that his OBP is (most likely) right around .330. So that'll mean -- not only will we have a below average OBP at the leadoff spot, we'll have a below average OBP at the #2 spot.

Honestly, .275 is right around what I'm expecting from Erstad. .275/.330/.375 seems about right... That'd be awesome if he was on the bench or if he was in left and Anderson was in center.

When we got him I thought he would be in left and Brian in center especially with Pods injured. I wasnt worried about Estad .I'd seen him at his best and worst and figured if we signed him he was healthy. But apparently Ozzie thinks Pods and his disruptive running ( if he can still do it) is a necessity for this team to win. Doesnt appear he's capable of managing a different style.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt a pickoff count as a caught stealing ?

In classic baseball stats all pick offs are scored as a caught stealing against the batter. Pick off is an unofficial pitcher's stat.