3/31/07 Sox @ Braves 12:05 CT Game Thread

RME JICO

Final Spring Training game, lets end it on a good note.

Starters:

Vazquez vs Redman

Lineups:

Chicago

Podsednik, LF

Ozuna, 2B

Thome, DH

Konerko, 1B

Dye, RF

Crede, 3B

Cintron, SS

Anderson, CF

Molina, C

Atlanta

Johnson, K, 2B

Renteria, SS

Jones, C, 3B

Jones, A, CF

Pena, B, C

Francoeur, RF

Thorman, 1B

Wilson, DH

Langerhans, LF

Hopefully Vazquez shows us something today.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
sweet... I love having the sports package on my TV. Get all the local sports channels, so I can watch the game on tv today.

well, I have other things to do today, so I am gonna tivo the game and watch it later.

u rock bear sox, forgot about the directv

Konerko doubles home ozuna

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
misjudged by BA - that should've been an out

...and the extra out gives the braves a 2 run lead.

I wonder where everybody is to not come and jump on BA for a misjudged ball? :P

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
I wonder where everybody is to come jump on BA for a misjudged ball? :P

Can't see the game....but I can already tell you it's going to get annoying when any ball Erstad doesn't catch turns into "Brian Anderson would have had that".

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Can't see the game....but I can already tell you it's going to get annoying when any ball Erstad doesn't catch turns into "Brian Anderson would have had that".

Absolutely. Good to see that BA is hitting the ball better though. Hopefully that will continue into the regular season.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
Wow. That was a solid turn by Pablo on the low shuffle. And he has a pretty good arm as well

Pablo was actually an infielder by trade, before we acquired him. I personally think he's close to as good at 2B or 3B as Cintron is, defensively (possibly better, at 2B). I'd be curious how he'd do at SS.

Vazquez looked overall very good, IMO. His only real problem was that he was having some control issues. But I'd take 7 innings (or 6 2/3 in this case) and only 4 runs any time, because this offense should be able to put up 5 runs.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
Pablo was actually an infielder by trade, before we acquired him. I personally think he's close to as good at 2B or 3B as Cintron is, defensively (possibly better, at 2B). I'd be curious how he'd do at SS.

Ozuna's natural position is short. He is much better than Cintron there as he has an above average arm. He just doesn't get the opportunity as when he is needed he is somehow designated as a left fielder because he has speed. He has gotten some time in center in the spring. If he seems to play there better than left you may see Anderson is left and he in center. There is a debate that center may or may not be harder to judege a ball off the bat because it is hit right at you and doesn't tail as much as in left or right. I heard this discussed by Steve Stone this spring while they were talking about Soriano. This has been discussed previously and I guess it depends on the player.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
Ozuna's natural position is short. He is much better than Cintron there as he has an above average arm. He just doesn't get the opportunity as when he is needed he is somehow designated as a left fielder because he has speed. He has gotten some time in center in the spring. If he seems to play there better than left you may see Anderson is left and he in center. There is a debate that center may or may not be harder to judege a ball off the bat because it is hit right at you and doesn't tail as much as in left or right. I heard this discussed by Steve Stone this spring while they were talking about Soriano. This has been discussed previously and I guess it depends on the player.

I personally think center is easier then left or right. Usually a team sticks their worst defending OF'er in LF but that isn't because it is easier then CF, but because either their arm isn't good enough or they aren't fast enough, IMO. Ozuna would make a decent fit in CF. The ball is easier to judge (again, IMO), and Ozuna has the speed and arm to be able to play a decent centerfield. I'm not saying he will automatically become a stud OF'er, but he should be better then Mack out there in CF.

And you are right about Ozuna at SS. He plays a pretty good overall defense at SS, IMO. He has good range and an arm to make all the neccassary throws. His glovework needs some addidtional help though. He was once a top 10 prospect at SS. If Uribe falters again this season, I will be the first one to call for Ozuna as the fulltime SS.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
I personally think center is easier then left or right. Usually a team sticks their worst defending OF'er in LF but that isn't because it is easier then CF, but because either their arm isn't good enough or they aren't fast enough, IMO. Ozuna would make a decent fit in CF. The ball is easier to judge (again, IMO), and Ozuna has the speed and arm to be able to play a decent centerfield. I'm not saying he will automatically become a stud OF'er, but he should be better then Mack out there in CF.

And you are right about Ozuna at SS. He plays a pretty good overall defense at SS, IMO. He has good range and an arm to make all the neccassary throws. His glovework needs some addidtional help though. He was once a top 10 prospect at SS. If Uribe falters again this season, I will be the first one to call for Ozuna as the fulltime SS.

I'm just wondering if you've ever played centerfield at a level higher than Little League because from my experience centerfield is a whole lot harder than you make it up to be. There isn't a harder ball to read than one hit directly at you in centerfield. It's probably the hardest position I've ever had to play outside of catcher, reading the ball off the bat is especially tough considering the amount of ground you have to cover and the incredibly small window you have to make your read. I personally want no part of Ozuna in CF, EVER. I watched Podsednik play out there for 2 seasons in Milwaukee and I'd much rather not see that relived through Pablo on the South Side.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I'm just wondering if you've ever played centerfield at a level higher than Little League because from my experience centerfield is a whole lot harder than you make it up to be. There isn't a harder ball to read than one hit directly at you in centerfield. It's probably the hardest position I've ever had to play outside of catcher, reading the ball off the bat is especially tough considering the amount of ground you have to cover and the incredibly small window you have to make your read. I personally want no part of Ozuna in CF, EVER. I watched Podsednik play out there for 2 seasons in Milwaukee and I'd much rather not see that relived through Pablo on the South Side.

well, that is where we differ... I always though CF was easier then the corner outfield spots. But I was really good at reading balls right off the bat, and some don't have that skill.