Opening Day: White Sox vs. Indians, 4/2/07 (L)

Steve9347

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Maybe Masset's going through a bit of a dead arm period I don't know. But it's still way too early to judge.

Despite what KW said, these trades were made for the good of the long - term IMHO. But is it going to cost us THAT much in the short - term either. Brandon could struggle to put up an ERA below 5 pitching in Texas this season. Danks could very well match him ERA wise. And Freddy, well he's a wait and see with his arm they way it is at the moment.

It's obvious they were made for the longterm. Williams probably took a long look at his minor league system and realized it required immediate retooling. The sight alone probably made him vomit. Gonzalez and Danks were necessary additions to an otherwise overloaded collection of future #5 starters. Not exactly something which will compete against the pitchers within our division.

Here's the problem though -- I don't believe Danks will match McCarthy. Judging from his last several starts, we may have to endure outings where he's walking four/five batters. This will KILL him in the central division. McCarthy may be surrendering more HRs all season, but I believe he's a safer bet for 2007.

With Garcia, I never questioned trading him. However, I believe including Floyd was a move made with the short-term in mind. As to appease critics; something tangible he could show to people as proof it benefited the 2007 team.

But, really, why lie? I don't expect him to say "i traded our starters because our minor league system sucks" but don't tell me these moves were made for the short term. When you do that, you deserve to be criticized when it blows up in your face. Especially when his idea of "short term" is Gavin f***ing Floyd. Include Fabio Castro and Williams would have had both short term and long term potential.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:00 AM)
I thought Masset looked a bit nervous, but his stuff wasn't bad. The guy I didn't like what I saw from out of the pen was Double A, he worked a magic act to not get blown up.

AAwful? I thought he threw the best set of sliders I've seen from him since joining the ballclub.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
AAwful? I thought he threw the best set of sliders I've seen from him since joining the ballclub.

Yeah I know his stuff is good, but he was 50/50 on balls and strikes and although his 7th was damn good, the 8th was atrocious and probably should have been worse. This pen has a ton of potential, but somebody better throw a damn strike.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
It's obvious they were made for the longterm. Williams probably took a long look at his minor league system and realized it required immediate retooling. The sight alone probably made him vomit. Gonzalez and Danks were necessary additions to an otherwise overloaded collection of future #5 starters. Not exactly something which will compete against the pitchers within our division.

Here's the problem though -- I don't believe Danks will match McCarthy. Judging from his last several starts, we may have to endure outings where he's walking four/five batters. This will KILL him in the central division. McCarthy may be surrendering more HRs all season, but I believe he's a safer bet for 2007.

With Garcia, I never questioned trading him. However, I believe including Floyd was a move made with the short-term in mind. As to appease critics; something tangible he could show to people as proof it benefited the 2007 team.

But, really, why lie? I don't expect him to say "i traded our starters because our minor league system sucks" but don't tell me these moves were made for the short term. When you do that, you deserve to be criticized when it blows up in your face. Especially when his idea of "short term" is Gavin f***ing Floyd. Include Fabio Castro and Williams would have had both short term and long term potential.

My prediction is both Danks and B-Mac have ERA's above 5 this season. And that's not to say they're bad pitchers, they're just going to pitch half of their games in ballpprks which really don't suit them.

B-Mac could suprise more likely, but he's going to have to cut down on the gopherballs, and that's gonna kill him in Texas.

Now this is where I differ from you on Fabio Castro. I think if the Sox rated him, he would have never left this organization in the 1st place. They would have stashed him on the 40 man roster instead of say Paulino Reynoso, and he'd still be here.

But maybe they saw something in him they didn't like, I don't know. Long - term is he going to be a starter, or strictly a lefty reliever? And look at Philly's pen. They've been crying out for bullpen help all off-season, and Castro can't make their pen. Now maybe he's still too young and green, but that tells me something right there. Would he have made our bullpen ahead of Andy Sisco and helped in the short - term like you said? I'd say no.

As for Floyd, well I can't argue with your points there. But we'll see how he does in Charlotte for a while before I pass judgement. But in the long - term it's going to be an interesting race to see who's the better pitcher out of him and Castro.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm not sure if this has been said before or not, but did anyone else think Contreras looks like Pedro Serrano (Major League) with his new facial hair?

TOTALLY!!!!!

Even more so up close. Every time I looked at him (I was standing next to the bullpen while he played long toss) that's all I could think of. I think it looks good.

We could have used a chicken sacrifice yesterday, though...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:00 AM)
I thought Masset looked a bit nervous, but his stuff wasn't bad. The guy I didn't like what I saw from out of the pen was Double A, he worked a magic act to not get blown up.

I would still prefer to see someone else as the long reliever. I was listening on the radio, so I didn't see the gun. I know he put up his best #s as a one inning guy, and his stuff is sick.

I didnt think Masset looked all that bad. He was a bit nervous in his first inning. I think the IBB didnt help matters. It really put the kid into a hole having the bases loaded. His next few innings were pretty good. Remember its all easy and all to play baseball and to throw to the mitt, then its another thing to step up in front of 40k disgrunted fans who are pissed off that we are down a bunch and now you have the bases loaded. I give the kid a pass and less see how he does in his next appearance.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:48 AM)
Haeger's capable of throwing multiple innings. Why wasn't he chosen?

Regardless of his poor spring training statistics, his greatest asset to White Sox is durability. Not to mention a proven track record of success in the minor leagues. Just look at yesterday's game -- Haeger could have relieved Contreras in the second and completed the game. Even if the score remained the same, and he gave up just as many runs as the bullpen, the point is he would have saved the remaining arms.

Looking ahead to Wednesday, Masset won't pitch. I wouldn't count on Sisco or Aardsma beyond one inning. If the worst were to occur and Garland leaves early, it's not going to be pretty. Situations such as these is why Haeger would have been a perfect addition to the roster. It doesn't even matter to me whether he'll walk the world as a reliever. He offers what no one else does.

If the worst happens two starts in a row and the relievers come in in the second inning, it's never pretty for the bullpen regardless of its makeup. I don't think that's a fair criticism.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
Anyone have any reviews on the angled seats down the lines?

I'm in 113, down the 1st base side. I thought it was a nice little improvement. Last year I was always sitting sideways. Yesterday, I just had to turn my head a little. Plus, the park just looks so much nicer now, all in one color.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
That's a good point. Who in the bullpen probably thought: Contreras is starting and we'll be seeing action in... the second inning?

At this point, with an offday today...how different was it from just another ST type outing?

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, and I don't think it warrants a new topic. Here's a little blurb from rotoworld quoting Peralta...

Not only did the Indians knock Jose Contreras out of Monday's start in the second inning, Jhonny Peralta said afterward that Contreras "just wasn't throwing as hard as last year."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=28014

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, and I don't think it warrants a new topic. Here's a little blurb from rotoworld quoting Peralta...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=28014

Either one of two explanations: injury or lack of preparation.

Here's an obvious problem -- within the first month the White Sox play 20+ games against divisional opponents. Contreras better disclose any arm troubles or find his velocity rather quickly.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
Either one of two explanations: injury or lack of preparation.

Here's an obvious problem -- within the first month the White Sox play 20+ games against divisional opponents. Contreras better disclose any arm troubles or find his velocity rather quickly.

The sad thing is the gun at USCF had him constantly at 91. If he wasn't throwing hard, Masset at 92 and Jenks at 93 weren't exactly bringing it either. The fact that really nobody knows Contreras' age is a red flag right now IMO. I know its been beaten to death, but there are a lot of people who would have a better idea than anyone in the US who swear Contreras is older than El Duque. He does take care of himself, but if he really is close to 45 he can lose it in a hurry. I will wait to rush judgement and go with he just had a bad day for now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
The sad thing is the gun at USCF had him constantly at 91. If he wasn't throwing hard, Masset at 92 and Jenks at 93 weren't exactly bringing it either. The fact that really nobody knows Contreras' age is a red flag right now IMO. I know its been beaten to death, but there are a lot of people who would have a better idea than anyone in the US who swear Contreras is older than El Duque. He does take care of himself, but if he really is close to 45 he can lose it in a hurry. I will wait to rush judgement and go with he just had a bad day for now.

He wasn't consistently at 91. I also saw 90, some high and mid-80's, and even some in the high 70's (those may have been erroneous, unless his sliders got real slow). And Jenks hit 95 on one pitch I believe.