Bad Opening Day starts

StatManDu

Here are some candidates for bad starts by Sox pitchers on Opening Day. ... Bannister was really bad in '83 home opener

BAD OPENING DAY STARTS SOX PITCHERS

Year Pitcher................. IP HRERBB K Badness

2007 Jose Contreras......1-7-8-7-1-1.......Gave up bomb on 2nd pitch ... all downhill from there

2001 Jim Parque.............5-8-4-4-1-1......Home opener; 6th inning was fatal

1999 Mike Sirotka...........5-9-9-3-2-2......Home opener; also committed 3 errors

1995 Alex Fernandez....2.2-5-8-4-5-1......Surrendered 1st inning grand slam

1993 Wilson Alvarez........3-5-4-4-3-4......Home opener; couldn't retire anyone in the 4th

1991 Jack McDowell......2.2-5-6-6-3-0......New Comiskey opener; All 6 runs came in 3rd inning

1987 Neil Allen................2-4-3-3-0-1......Home opener; Yielded leadoff homer to Whitaker

1986 Tom Seaver.........5.1-7-5-5-0-3......Home opener; gave up roof shot HR to Rob Deer

1983 Floyd Bannister.....1.2-7-7-7-2-2......Home opener; Banny's Sox debut; Gave up 2 bombs

1982 Jerry Koosman......5.2-8-6-6-2-2......No decision

1977 Ken Brett.................3-9-5-5-0-4......1st game in Tor; Gave up 2 HRs

1970 Tommy John..........4.2-8-6-5-1-3.......Home opener; Gave up 3 in 1st thanks to his 2 errors

1967 John Buzhardt...........4-4-4-4-5-0....Sox lost at Boston

Edited by StatManDu

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
definitely looks like it

Since people are always looking for connections to previous seasons when the Sox were successful, Floyd Bannister's line was similar to Contreras'.

Which means.............WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE DIVISION!!!! YES!!

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Im guessing this is HOME OPENERS. IIRC, David Wells was the opening day starter in 2001.

Yes. I remember that the flag raising and Durham's lead off HR at the 2001 home opener were the bright spots i a game that shouldn't have gotten away from them but did.

I was at four of these turkeys as a mater of fact. Dang, I miss Friday home openers that I could actually fly in for. :crying

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Since people are always looking for connections to previous seasons when the Sox were successful, Floyd Bannister's line was similar to Contreras'.

Which means.............WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE DIVISION!!!! YES!!

Winning Ugly is back!

Also:

Contreras' abbreviated outing, the shortest for a White Sox Opening Day starter since Claude "Lefty" Williams also went one inning against St. Louis in 1917, allowed Guillen and the White Sox fan base to get a look at almost the entire roster.
What did the Sox do in 1917? Edited by RME JICO

I was at the 1970 opening day 12-0 loss to the Twins. What a miserable day! :crying

It was noteworthy only for the major league debut of the one and only John "Pineapple" Matias (who went 0-3 with a strikeout). And get this: it was an opening day crowd of 11,473. Ahhhh, those were the days.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im guessing this is HOME OPENERS. IIRC, David Wells was the opening day starter in 2001.

Yes. Wells bested Colon that sunny day in Cleveland in 2001 and we thought all was right with the world.

If the badness came in a home opener that wasn't the overall opener it was noted in the line of text next to the stat.