Ozzie: "If we don't win, fire me"

witesoxfan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Give me a $106M payroll and I'll kick Bavasi's ass, I'm pretty sure he's partially retarded. The man has NO clue.

So yeah it was Bill.

that's so easy, I think 50% of the people on this board could do a better job than Bavasi. Well, 50% is a lot, but there are a ton of people on here who could do the same or better job than Bavasi.

While as I have posted above, think Ozzie will never get fired because of the team's performance, it doesn't mean that at some point, if the team sucks he would deserve it. Take Gene LaMont. LaMont won 2 divisions and if you believe all would have won the WS if there was one in 94. In 95, his GM gives away his ace, and gives him Chris Sabo and John Kruk. The team sucks and he gets fired only 31 games into 1995. On top of all that, he his replaced with perhaps the biggest baffoon in major league baseball managerial history.

Players (mostly pitching and defense) win pennants, not managers.

I don't think anybody managing the Sox would satisfy some of the

vocal Internet bashers.

You wait and see.

Piniella will fail this season because the Cubs have no pitching

with the Pryor/Wood fiasco continuing.

And what will Moronotti write?

I guess he'll blame the GM, not the manager since he switches off between those

two in his simplistic columns.

Possibly but I'm already walking a thin line saying I'm superior to 2 GMs, if I add a 3rd I'm basically guaranteeing a fight. My biggest assets as a GM would be my complete lack of an ego, not hiring a bunch of f***tards as my assistants and no real desire for a legacy. If you surround yourself with the right people and avoid becoming attached to your players you should be able to get by. Hell if the Lightning can have an illiterate GM, I feel I have a shot.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
that's so easy, I think 50% of the people on this board could do a better job than Bavasi. Well, 50% is a lot, but there are a ton of people on here who could do the same or better job than Bavasi.

Well he's turned a perennial powerhouse into a laughing stock despite having a massive payroll, at the worst they'd break even with you or me as the GM.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Possibly but I'm already walking a thin line saying I'm superior to 2 GMs, if I add a 3rd I'm basically guaranteeing a fight. My biggest assets as a GM would be my complete lack of an ego, not hiring a bunch of f***tards as my assistants and no real desire for a legacy. If you surround yourself with the right people and avoid becoming attached to your players you should be able to get by. Hell if the Lightning can have an illiterate GM, I feel I have a shot.

While I don't necessarily think I could do a better job than a professional GM, I think my common sense would prevent me (and most of us) from screwing up a team and killing their payroll flexibility. I would never sign the Zitos, Meches, and Marquis to the contracts they got, mainly because simple common sense would pretty much tell you not to do it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
While as I have posted above, think Ozzie will never get fired because of the team's performance, it doesn't mean that at some point, if the team sucks he would deserve it. Take Gene LaMont. LaMont won 2 divisions and if you believe all would have won the WS if there was one in 94. In 95, his GM gives away his ace, and gives him Chris Sabo and John Kruk. The team sucks and he gets fired only 31 games into 1995. On top of all that, he his replaced with perhaps the biggest baffoon in major league baseball managerial history.

This kinda touches on another point. If the sox were to fire Ozzie, who would replace him? If you look at the managerial history of this franchise, I don't know if I would necessarily trust them to hire a competent replacement.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Krivsky?

I actually like Wayne Krivsky, the guy is doing a pretty damn good job in Cincinnati right now. That Harang deal is one of the best you're going to see. Atleast he's identifying his most productive players and doing everything he can to keep them around.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
This kinda touches on another point. If the sox were to fire Ozzie, who would replace him? If you look at the managerial history of this franchise, I don't know if I would necessarily trust them to hire a competent replacement.

Steve Stone will have a big time position with the Sox within 2 years.

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 12:12 AM)
So would that mean that there's no chance of Moises Alou getting a job with the Sox?

boy, he'd have no one at his booth at soxfest to shake his hand thats for sure

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 07:57 PM)
Just some behind the scenes stuff I've heard for years now. I truly believe if the Sox didn't make the playoffs in 2005, KW was gone.

I have the most respect for Steve Stone EVER, so I hope you are on to something.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
I have the most respect for Steve Stone EVER, so I hope you are on to something.

Ah true, but this is Ozzie when it's never too early to say anything...bad, good, or indifferent. Kenny's response of "Ozzie being Ozzie" pretty much summed it up for me. I give a thorough "yawn" to this story.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
I don't think KW needs Ozzie's approval or permission to fire him.

:bang

Kw probably has no say if Ozzie gets fired or not.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Probably the same delusional half that think they'd make way better major league managers than him...

you are damn right about that one sleepy. I will never forget the Bevington and Manual days.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
BTW....a little early for Ozzie to be starting this crap right now. This is going to be a long season.

all the crap he has said the last 2 years has led to 189 wins and a world series title. keep the crap coming Ozzie! :cheers

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Too early for him to say, "If we don't win, fire me."

Guess he should say it midway through the season or at the end.

When else would he say it? Jeez.

Might not have a feeling this team can get it done... :ph34r:

I like hearing Ozzie run his mouth

I hate when Ozzie

-keeps starting pitchers out there after they are gassed

-kept playing Pods in 2006

-played Mack in center

-plays Erstad over BA

-brought in Hermanson in a crucial extra inning game last year

I'm not saying he should be fired though. Although that could change at the end of the year.