White Sox vs. Indians, 4/4/07 (L)

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Question: I didn't see Aardsma's first inning of work. Was he around 89-91 with his fastball that inning? I didn't see 1 fastball clocked over 91 in his second inning.

I think he hit a high of 93 - 94. I was surprised he was getting the balls past the hitters, right down the pipe.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Question: I didn't see Aardsma's first inning of work. Was he around 89-91 with his fastball that inning? I didn't see 1 fastball clocked over 91 in his second inning.

I don't know what the gun said and to tell you the truth I don't really care, it looked like he was throwing mid 90's with ease along with great movement both towards and away from righties. He was getting his breaking ball over with great break and excellent command. It was honestly one of the greatest innings ever thrown by a White Sox pitcher. I'm not sure they even touched a pitch he threw.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
I don't know what the gun said and to tell you the truth I don't really care, it looked like he was throwing mid 90's with ease along with great movement both towards and away from righties. He was getting his breaking ball over with great break and excellent command. It was honestly one of the greatest innings ever thrown by a White Sox pitcher. I'm not sure they even touched a pitch he threw.

Alright then. I was just curious. He's supposed to be able to hit 95 consistently. Atleast that's what I've heard/read. But if he can get guys out like he did today, I don't care how hard he throws.

Grady Sizemore looked practically lost against Garland, popping out all three times. And Nixon only had one hit off of Garland and that was on a cookie. And if you tell me that those 3 walks to Hafner were bad, then your nuts. I'd rather see Garland walk Hafner then see Hafner take Garland yard.

Garland isn't getting paid 10+ million a year to be babied. He is getting 10 million to pitch ball games. Ozzie took the ball out of Garlands hand. Listen, I'm not saying leave him in there for even the whole inning. But Garland deserved a chance to at least face Grady. And if got Grady out easy, let him face Nixon. But if Nixon gets on, then it would be the right move to go to the pen. It was just too early to take out Garland.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
I question him handing Pods a job

Although it's the off-season move I probably dislike the most and was 90% sure throughout the 2nd half of last year that he wouldn't be brought back, all of us knew he would be the starting LF and leading off when he was re-signed.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
Alright then. I was just curious. He's supposed to be able to hit 95 consistently. Atleast that's what I've heard/read. But if he can get guys out like he did today, I don't care how hard he throws.

Watching his outings from last season on MLB.tv from last September he was sitting at 94-95 while running it up to 99-100 every once in a while.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
Although it's the off-season move I probably dislike the most and was 90% sure throughout the 2nd half of last year that he wouldn't be brought back, all of us knew he would be the starting LF and leading off when he was re-signed.

Just because we knew it was going to happen doesn't mean it should have been the move that was made. He did nothing to earn his job last year or this spring yet Oz still makes him his starting LF. It's just annoying that a player can be so completely inept and still be handed a major league starting job and a $2.9M contract.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
Just because we knew it was going to happen doesn't mean it should have been the move that was made. He did nothing to earn his job last year or this spring yet Oz still makes him his starting LF. It's just annoying that a player can be so completely inept and still be handed a major league starting job and a $2.9M contract.

I really think that having a speedy lead off man is an obsession for Ozzie and KW. Remember Ozzie's lust for Juan Pierre and players for his mold. Of course, now that Pods would finish second in a race with Ron Santo and still can't get on base ... Judy Barr Tipinca Ozzie Guillen, what was she thinking?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
I really think that having a speedy lead off man is an obsession for Ozzie and KW. Remember Ozzie's lust for Juan Pierre and players for his mold.

Compared to Pods, Juan Pierre looks like Lou Brock at this point.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)

right now, the sox would look good with nixon in left and erstad in center. didnt we sign pods for 2.9 and they got nixon for 3 mil?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
I'm pretty sure fathom would not want a part of either of the two you mentioned.

Are you kidding? I really wanted us to sign Pierre. He does have a lot of deficiencies, but he's the perfect player for how Ozzie wants to play. It's too bad that Cubs had to f*** up the market and put Pierre out of our salary range. Gary Mathews Jr. has been my favorite non-Sox player for years now. The steroid stuff is shocking, as many have told me him and Thome are the nicest two guys in all of baseball.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Uribe was 2/4 Monday, 0/3 today. You're already whining about an upgrade? Pods was bad today. Can you atleast give him a week before you start crying that we should've signed Pierre or Gary Matthews Jr.?

I've been whining about an upgrade prior to the year. I don't care if Pods goes 5-5 tomorrow...I still think it was a horrific decision to bring him back. He's a zero tool player.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
The good news is that it would seem logical (not that logic is a friend to Ozzie Guillen) for Pods to sut vs. a lefty tomorrow. An even better idea might be to change the locks on the door to the lockerroom so Ozzie can't even try to play Pods tomorrow.

Don't worry, Ozzie is going to play as many lefties as possible vs Johan this weekend.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
The good news is that it would seem logical (not that logic is a friend to Ozzie Guillen) for Pods to sut vs. a lefty tomorrow. An even better idea might be to change the locks on the door to the lockerroom so Ozzie can't even try to play Pods tomorrow.

well, he already said on the boers and bernstien show yesterday that pods would play tomorrow

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
Grady Sizemore looked practically lost against Garland, popping out all three times. And Nixon only had one hit off of Garland and that was on a cookie. And if you tell me that those 3 walks to Hafner were bad, then your nuts. I'd rather see Garland walk Hafner then see Hafner take Garland yard.

Garland isn't getting paid 10+ million a year to be babied. He is getting 10 million to pitch ball games. Ozzie took the ball out of Garlands hand. Listen, I'm not saying leave him in there for even the whole inning. But Garland deserved a chance to at least face Grady. And if got Grady out easy, let him face Nixon. But if Nixon gets on, then it would be the right move to go to the pen. It was just too early to take out Garland.

I really can't agree with any of this at all. I don't mind him pitching around Hafner, but on a coldass day, the ball won't carry nearly as well unless you f***ing kill it (or if the wind is blowing out, something I'm not sure of either way).

And Sizemore may have looked lost, but he's an amazing hitter and he can go from being lost one AB to parking one the next - ask Matt Thornton. I think I'll take my chances with a lefty - against whom he has a career .668 OPS - as opposed to Garland, even if he looked lost, because he has and always will kill righties.

Finally, I don't care how much Garland or any pitcher is getting paid, it's still April 4th and you the worst thing you can do to a pitcher is pull a Dusty Baker and make them go 120 pitches early in the season when they are not fully stretched out. That's about the easiest goddamn way to f*** up an arm in a hell of a hurry.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uribe was 2/4 Monday, 0/3 today. You're already whining about an upgrade? Pods was bad today. Can you atleast give him a week before you start crying that we should've signed Pierre or Gary Matthews Jr.?

What's even funnier is that fathom was trying to blow steam up everyone's butts last September by making comments like "say hello to our new LF Juan Pierre" after Pods would do something bad. Now he likes him.

Fathom, do you still think Garland is the most underrated Sox player and that Aardsma sucks and has no hope?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
What's even funnier is that fathom was trying to blow steam up everyone's butts last September by making comments like "say hello to our new LF Juan Pierre" after Pods would do something bad. Now he likes him.

Fathom, do you still think Garland is the most underrated Sox player and that Aardsma sucks and has no hope?

I don't recall ever saying anything bad about Pierre. He was definitely KW's main target going into this offseason, and I always stated that if we're going to play Ozzieball, he'd be a good fit. Yes, I think Garland is underrated and that Aardsma won't be good. With a small strike zone and his shoulder still being tight, I'm surprised Garland didn't give up 20 runs. Garland has got to find a way to come into camp in better shape though (not weight wise, but arm wise).

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
He's gotta get on base to get picked off.

FWIW, I enjoyed your posting today.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 4, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
Don't worry, Ozzie is going to play as many lefties as possible vs Johan this weekend.

I wish that he would. Lefties clearly hit Santana better than righties. He doesn't throw the changeup much against lefties. I don't think Ozzie could hold all of those thoughts in his head and make that decision.