Revisiting Hawk Harrelson

FlaCWS

Hawk  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Hawk Harrelson?

• Keep him
    • Replace him
    • Don't care either way

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
Ed Farmer makes Hawk Harrelson seem like the greatest announcer ever.

As someone who just started listening to Farmer, I'd agree fully. He really is horrible.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the most part I love hawk

I don't see why people don't like hawk being a homer, we are watching whitesox baseball on chicago television and we are all whitesox fans, why should we complain when the announcer is on our side? it makes the dramatic moments more exciting with his intensity an joy when we succeed, and I personally think he does an excellent job of letting the game speak for itself in tense situations rather than talking about nothing

On the otherside, when things are going bad some of the stories he brings back are so entertaining it takes away from the depressiveness of the game

He may get a little dull from time to time, but I think he's great

I've sort of grown used to Hawks 'antics'. DJ I don't like at all. He really doesn't bring a heckuva lot to the booth. That caught stealing yesterday was quite embarassing, and I don't think that's the first time something like that has happened.

I really wish the Sox would've found room for Stone in one of the two booths (radio or TV). As it is now, I don't think any of the four broadcasters we currently have are anything special, so I just listen to Hawk and DJ (because turning on the radio just isn't worth it).

Sigh... come back, Rooney.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 03:14 AM)
I can't imagine watching White Sox baseball without Hawk. I love it that he cares as much as I do. The perfect example came today when Thornton hit the ball in the gap. He said nobodies gonna get that, and then let out a genuine "dag nabbit." He was just as pissed as I was that Thornton screwed the pooch. It's not fake, and that's why I love his announcing so much. I know enough about the game. I don't need an announcer to sit there and be objective and tell me what I'm seeing.

Jack McDowell will be replacing Hawk this coming week. I can't say I'll complain about that.

Love Hawk, he's as important to the face of the Sox as any player or coach. I will agree in the past couple years his stretch calls have been, well... used when it's a routine ball hit to center, but I can't see our broadcasting any way else. Put it on the board, yes!

I know enough about baseball to where I don't need announcers describing the various intricacies within a game. A typical announcer exists to educate the casual fan -- who makes up a majority of the viewing audience -- rather than those who've followed the ballclub for numerous years and spend countless hours on an internet message board.

I'm a fan of Hawk. What annoys me, however, is just the spin he puts on a situation whenever something doesn't go the White Sox way.

I just don't believe many realize how much they'll miss him when he's no longer announcing games. I can't imagine a game not announced by Hawk, yet, the sad reality is one day it'll happen.

Even through the blatant homerism I don't take his presence for granted. He's unique and one-of-a-kid. As others have said, take advantage of the free MLB package on digital cable and pay attention to the announcers of other teams. Everyone sounds the same. One bland color commentator after another.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Personally, I expect and even enjoy the homerism. Feels like I'm sitting with a fellow fan. I hate the canned phrases and synchronized "yes." When it becomes a performance without thought, it loses its value. It's kind of like profanity. If one uses it all the time, every third word, it loses its impact when its really appropriate. Just my $.02.

I actually like Hawk more than DJ. For a color commentator, DJ's stories sure are slow and he doesn't have much of a delivery. Hawk on the other hand can tell a story like nobody else, even if he is a super-homer. Beyond that, the initial point of this post was that Chicago fans are sophisticated and don't need to be coddled into liking the Sox. To that I say, we're sophisticated enough to know how the game's going without Hawk's every cue. That's where the weatherman analogy falls through. If Hawk's job were to merely announce facts, he'd be a damn poor play-by-play guy but it's not.

Also I think his codgery dust-bowl-era sayings are highly amusing, and when he gets so into the game on a Joe Crede walkoff that he can barely speak, that's when I'm most glad to have him. He's on our side.

As a Sox fan, I love Hawk. When I tape a game on my DVR and a big moment occurs, I love to just rewind and watch it again and again. A big part of the reason I can do this is because he gets so genuinely excited about the moment. I think a lot of us have many Sox memories, and when we think of them, we can still hear his voice, breaking from the excitement. He truly cares about that team, and I feel that anytime the Sox win or lose.

In my opinion, Hawk is great.

DJ is OK, too.

I wish they wouldn't yell, "put it on the board ... YES" in unison, though.

I wonder why DJ started butting in on that.

That's Hawk's call and I wish he'd do it alone.

As far as blatant homerism, I still think if you watch a full game, Hawk

will utter some negative comments about the Sox. Maybe not this

early in the season when criticism is stupid, but as things progress he

will criticize the Sox some.

Except for Steve Stone, I can't think of another announcer who will do

so.

I challenge you to find me announcers anywhere who will criticize except

the old guard guys.

Maybe Uecker will do it or Scully. I don't listen to them.

But Hawk is great. My only mild complaint is DJ has to also yell "yes"

on Hawk's homer call. I don't understand that one.

p.s. Anybody who says "I have a mancrush on (fill in the blank) should

be castrated. Dumb saying and my new pet peeve.

Its funny, a lot of people who complain about Hawk's "homerism" also complain that the national media including network announcers and ESPN and the Tribune are all anti-Sox. Maybe some of his stuff is a little over the top, but he loves the Sox just like everyone on this board. I hardly think thats a bad thing.

I like Hawk, he's everything an announcer SHOULD be.

He works for the Sox.

He loves the Sox.

He's a complete homer for the Sox.

Oh, and he's in the unique position to announce for the Sox.

He SHOULD be biased. And why?! Because he's OUR announcer, not theirs.

If that were me, I'd be JUST as bad. I'm not there to entertain or announce for the opposing team -- they have their own radio announcers -- I'm there for THIS team. F*C* the other team right in the A**. My best friend is a Cubs fan, and he agrees, being one of the few Cubs fans that likes Hawk...he believes Hawk does exactly as he should, with being biased toward the Sox, and he wishes the Cubs announcers would do the same.

Oh, and if you don't like it, buy the MLB game package online and you can listen to the other teams radio or tv announcers all you want. I'll keep Hawk & DJ on my TV.

kthnxbai

Edited by Y2HH

Anyone here remember Hawk and Don Drysdale? That was a GREAT Duo. Hawk doesn't respect DJ (especially during the beginning of working relationship)- I think that is abundantly clear.

DJ is intimidated by Hawk and agrees with him 100% of the time and when he doesn't he hardly argues his point he just buckles like a little Sally.

But Hawk really respected Drysdale and I thought they were an awesome duo. It was the 80's so a lot of you younger punks don't remember them but they were great.

Hawk has gotten on my nerves as much recently as he ever has. I grew up with him just like many others on this site, and I have heard his stories a million times and I know I am gonna hear them a million more before he is done. I feel much the same way that Flash feels about him, I appreciate him for his homerism and I know that when he is gone, im gonna miss him.

Does anyone think Rally Crede would have gained superstar status on this website without Hawks heart attack/call on his extra inning homerun in 2005? How many of you say to yourself "Gaaaas" or "He gawn" when someone strikes an opposing batter out, or even going through the game threads when someone strikes out, there is an image on Hawk saying "He Gawn".

He may be a biased, homer announcer. But he is our biased, homer announcer.

And to say there arent other announcers out there who are as blatant homers as Hawk, you should watch Twins games through their announcers, they are just as bad. And how about Rex hudler for the angels and his million nicknames and pot smoking attitude? There are equals out there, if not worse.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:44 AM)
My biggest issue w/Hawk right now is his "stretch" call. He should be able to judge the trajectory of the ball better than those watching television, but his constant overreacting to any deep fly ball does get annoying.

See, this is something I have no problem with. If he doesn't say "stretch" to deep fly balls when should he say it? To ball that are definitely gone? or to lazy pop ups? I dont think so. The whole point of "stretch" is the hope that some how those deep balls stretch a little more.

It would be totally different if he constantly was going in to his homerun call on deep fly balls with the whole "That ball hit deep, way back, he looks up...caught" That would get annoying and would be overreacting.