White Sox vs. Twins, 4/8/07 (L)

maggsmaggs

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the stats, having AJ in the lineup today makes sense. One, he's a veteran hitter as a opposed to a weak hitting rookie. Two, we have a rookie pitcher making his first start today and should benefit from having a veteran behind the plate.

Don't say no to Thome, he had decent AB's against Johan last year and has 3 HR's in 21 AB's against him, including a game winner in April last year (a game I was at). I'd give A.J. the day off though and see if we catch lightning in a bottle with Molina, as well as putting Anderson and Ozuna in CF and LF today. Although I can see why we kept Erstad in, he's a vet with a hot bat, and putting Molina vs. Johan would be not fair almost, so I can see why AJ is in too.

As for Danks....kid you might get no help, just pitch your game and throw well. That's all you can do.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
What happened to Contreras starting this game???

Id say unlike the enormous advantage the Twinkies have by starting Johan as much as possible, our "ace" isnt so overwhelming that its worth it to us to skip a man in the rotation.

Have people really soured on Jose already? Only reason he didn't win the Cy Young last season because of his injury-ridden 2nd half. IIRC, he was 9-0 in the 1st half last season, and amongst the most dominating pitchers in the MLB.

Now, he has a terrible Opening Day start, and he's no good anymore?

Edited by SoxFan1

I've seen Ozzie put out worse lineups. Could be a little better (when, exactly, will Anderson get to play?), but it could be much worse.

I think people are skeptical of the Count because they think he still has some problems with his back and won't be able to pitch effectively.

I think its just not worth skipping ahead in the rotation to Jose knowing that he threw about as bad a game as I've seen him throw, results-wise. Lets see what Danks can do here against a guy that has notoriously owned us.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
I think its just not worth skipping ahead in the rotation to Jose knowing that he threw about as bad a game as I've seen him throw, results-wise. Lets see what Danks can do here against a guy that has notoriously owned us.

Just seems illogical to me. You've got a chance to throw your #1 against the best pitcher in baseball, but instead, you decide to go with the guy making his ML debut? I dunno, I hope I'm wrong and Danks gets the W.

I sure do love me some Danks though, I'd just prefer he didn't make his 1st start against Johan.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
Just seems illogical to me. You've got a chance to throw your #1 against the best pitcher in baseball, but instead, you decide to go with the guy making his ML debut? I dunno, I hope I'm wrong and Danks gets the W.

I sure do love me some Danks though, I'd just prefer he didn't make his 1st start against Johan.

This way you give Buehrle an extra day of rest as well, it could be the difference between Mark making his start and having to go to an emergency to starter in his place. And to be honest I feel more comfortable with Danks on the mound than Contreras right now. That's how bad Contreras' stuff looked on Opening Day.

Ozzie was also hinting that Contreras may be having some mental issues right about now, I'd rather not send a mental case out to the mound against a division rival and one of the most dominant pitchers of all time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
This way you give Buehrle an extra day of rest as well, it could be the difference between Mark making his start and having to go to an emergency to starter in his place. And to be honest I feel more comfortable with Danks on the mound than Contreras right now. That's how bad Contreras' stuff looked on Opening Day.

Ozzie was also hinting that Contreras may be having some mental issues right about now, I'd rather not send a mental case out to the mound against a division rival and one of the best pitchers of all time.

Contreras has always had mental issues, we've known that. But it's more so confidence. He had the Javy complex for a while, and now it's back. If he doesn't get his pitches called for strikes, he loses confidence, and goes to the next pitch, usually the splitter. And if he cant get it in the zone, they won't swing, and he'll be forced to throw the fastball in the zone.

Honestly, I think Count will be fine, just some fine tuning and getting used to the air up north. We all know what he can do, he just needs to get the confidence to be dominant. He needs that attitude that will make him a great pitcher.

Why "waste" Jose in a game that most likely we're not going to win? Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'd "save" Jose for a game where we have a better chance to win.

And I like Ozuna in there over Prancer. Nice! I would have liked to see PK and Dye switched too, but oh well. Atleast its one less lefty out there.

The last White Sox starting pitcher to win his debut was ...

... Kip Wells on 8/2/99 (1 ER/5.1 IP).

Since then, we have seen eight debuts: Garland, Biddle, Stewart, Cotts, Diaz, Munoz, McCarthy and Haeger without a win (0-4, 9.53 ERA, 42 ER/39.2 IP).

Ugly thought :P

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
Why "waste" Jose in a game that most likely we're not going to win? Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'd "save" Jose for a game where we have a better chance to win.

And I like Ozuna in there over Prancer. Nice! I would have liked to see PK and Dye switched too, but oh well. Atleast its one less lefty out there.

I don't think I like the idea of conceding games to division rivals. Johan has been beaten before and he can be beaten again.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
I guarantee this is the only time you'll hear me say this during the season, but it won't bother me if we lose today. Of more importance is that Danks shows he can be a competent starting pitcher in the majors.

Getting bested by Johan is nothing to be ashamed of. I just want Danks to pitch a good game and keep the Sox in it. :gosox3:

I never like to concede games, but this is one I won't be yelling at my PC if we lose. I just want to see Danks show that he was the right choice for the 5th spot, keep us in the game, and see if we can get a few breaks.