Postgame Thread 4/8

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(forrestg @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 07:57 PM)
Danks pitched well except for one pitch? Actually he pitched great but it was 3 straight pitches that they saw real well. I was at the game.. I don't know who is responsible for the pitch selection but danks was holding the twins at bay except for those 3 pitches the final one of course Morneau's home run. Each of the hits was solid the first 2 base hits were hit very hard the last morneau go under. What pitches were hit? I'm blaming AJ for calling those beach balls...

I never said that.

I'd take this outing out of Danks any day of the week, and twice on Sunday... 7 out of 10 times, IMO, this team would have scored enough for a win, but they had to face no other then Johan Santana.

If Danks does average 6 innings pitched, and 3 runs per game, in 27 starts which is a fair amount of starts for a rookie, he will finish up with an ERA of 4.5, and I'd take that anyday.

Bullpen looked great once again.

Also, my lineup for today would have looked a little something like this...

Podsednik, LF

Erstad, CF

Thome, DH

Konerko, 1B

Dye, RF

Pierzynski, C

Mackowaik, 3B

Cintron, SS

Ozuna, 2B

We'd still have the big boppers, but a bunch of speedy "grinders" to try and pick away.

I liked the outing from Danks, but was disappointed that we couldn't get any runs in either of the first two innings. 3 runs from Danks in any 6 inning start is better than most of the 5th starters in baseball, and one that the Sox should win most of the time.

It's not so much the fact that we can't score against Johan it's the way we seem to just f***ing give up every time he takes the mound

Kong sure looked frustrated after his last at bat, the line out to rf.

It's hard to believe one pitcher (Johan) can be so dominant against us.

Is this gonna continue all year and for years to come?

I hate to be an ass, but for some reason I'm not a big Erstad fan. Just not.

At least our pitching was good again today.

So there's hope. But I think you all have to admit it wasn't a good homestand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
send down BA too since he can then play everyday, apparently Erstad has won that spot.

Yeah, Erstad has earned that spot. I doubt BA can competently hit to oppo field right now, lay down bunts, drag them or steal. he should be in the minors working on it.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Kong sure looked frustrated after his last at bat, the line out to rf.

It's hard to believe one pitcher (Johan) can be so dominant against us.

Is this gonna continue all year and for years to come?

I hate to be an ass, but for some reason I'm not a big Erstad fan. Just not.

At least our pitching was good again today.

So there's hope. But I think you all have to admit it wasn't a good homestand.

No, it wasn't good overall but it was promising in a lot of ways. Gotta be impressed with Javy, and especially Danks. QS in his first start, only gave up a hit in one of his 6 innings. Not too shabby! Besides, did you really expect the matchup of Johan Santana v. John Danks to work in our favor? It was a penciled-in loss all the way

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Danks was pretty tough yesterday. If he goes out and gives us that kind of an outing every 5th day, I will be thrilled.

You're telling me, he was awesome yesterday. He just had 1 bad inning, Mauer had a 2 strike hit, Cuddyer with a bloop single, and Morneau with that long bomb.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
It's not even Hawk, it's just common sense to anybody. You really can't hit any of his other pitches, no matter who you are, so your only prayer is sit on the fastball.

um...his changeup looks like a fastball when it comes out of his hand. It's one of the reasons it's so nasty.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
They REALLY miss Danks. 80 some odd posts on a guy that is no longer in Texas.

I just had to smile reading it.

I shouldn't mention the Frank Thomas 500 thread right now should I :P

Anyway, I really think Danks and Brandon will cancel each other out once all is said and done. I think both of them will settle in the middle of their respective rotations over the next few years. Massett is the guy they are really going to miss when all is said and done. His stuff is just electric, and he really seems to have a plan on how to use it.

Thats the thing. Maybe Danks and BMAC are a wash, though I think Danks is more suited for our ballpark and he is a lefty. The kicker is that we got Masset who has looked nothing short of great at some times. The combination of the two is what makes KW a winner here.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Thats the thing. Maybe Danks and BMAC are a wash, though I think Danks is more suited for our ballpark and he is a lefty. The kicker is that we got Masset who has looked nothing short of great at some times. The combination of the two is what makes KW a winner here.

bingo

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
I understand your point Dick Allen, but if you just sit fastball all game, you at least probably get lucky and get a run or two, and that could have been the difference today. Your not going to hit any of his other pitches, so it's the only prayer really. But I mean, it's not like we're asking for a blow torch being taken to him, we got good enough pitching to win today.

Btw, off topic, but I apologize to all those who expected a doom and gloom thread when they saw I started it :(.

I remember a couple years back with Pedro Martinez when he was with the Bosox and someone had written that we were doomed in that game. I posted then that I thought the secret is not to worry about Martinez/Santana/ or some other stud our hitters have trouble with, but just to play them tough and close until you can get to their bullpen. We had a our chance and it's too bad Danks gave up the three run homer. It's a long season though and no reason to get real down about the loss. Danks looked real good.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
I remember a couple years back with Pedro Martinez when he was with the Bosox and someone had written that we were doomed in that game. I posted then that I thought the secret is not to worry about Martinez/Santana/ or some other stud our hitters have trouble with, but just to play them tough and close until you can get to their bullpen. We had a our chance and it's too bad Danks gave up the three run homer. It's a long season though and no reason to get real down about the loss. Danks looked real good.

i went to a pedro v. sox game, he was tough all game, we were down 4-2 bases loaded, pedro v. frank thomas. It was like a 17 pitch at bat and it was epic, pedro finally k's him with a wicked breaking pitch. But frank knocked pedro out of the game, and Joe Crede hit a 3 run homer the next inning, we won 5-4 i think. It was a great game, one of my favorites in attendence.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 05:33 PM)
i went to a pedro v. sox game, he was tough all game, we were down 4-2 bases loaded, pedro v. frank thomas. It was like a 17 pitch at bat and it was epic, pedro finally k's him with a wicked breaking pitch. But frank knocked pedro out of the game, and Joe Crede hit a 3 run homer the next inning, we won 5-4 i think. It was a great game, one of my favorites in attendence.

I was there and also remember that Thomas v Pedro battle.