Jimbos

WSoxMatt

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ll=chi-news-hed

A tavern near U.S. Cellular Field that has been a gathering spot for White Sox fans for more than 22 years must close by the end of the month, a Cook County judge ruled today.

The owner of Jimbo's Lounge had hoped to win the right to stay open until the end of the current baseball season, but Circuit Judge Sheldon Garber sided with the tavern's landlords, who filed suit last year to evict their longtime tenants.

"It's going to be devastating," said owner Joseph "Jimbo" Levato. "I don't know what we're going to do." "After almost 23 years, I think we deserve better than that," Levato said. "If we could finish the season out, at least we could go out with dignity and pride."

Levato said he had hoped to at least get his case before a jury. Now, he faces the prospect of disassembling the bar even as his customers come and go the final week in April.

"We have people who've been coming there 15, 16 years," Levato said.

Levato and his wife, Joyce, had argued in court that landlord Raymond DeGrazia had promised them orally in May 2006 that he would renew their lease for the 2007 season.

DeGrazia disputed that assertion, and argued that under state law any such agreement would have to be in writing.

Garber today agreed with DeGrazia, granting his request to take possession of the property.

Joseph Levato and his attorney, John Winters of Chicago, said they are considering an appeal. If they do, Winters would likely ask a court to put Garber's order on hold until the dispute can be resolved.

A lawyer for DeGrazia, owner of the building at 33rd Street and Princeton Avenue, could not be reached for comment.

Jimbo's is in an area of Bridgeport where there were few options for social gathering spots before and after games.

Over the years, the bar and outdoor café had been visited by everyone from White Sox players to front office types to actor Keanu Reeves, who stopped by while in town shooting a movie.

Winters said today that he believed that DeGrazia hoped to get a liquor license and operate a bar in the same location or next door.

Joseph Levato said he had renewed his lease without incident until the White Sox began winning, and the team's popularity soared.

"Everything was fine before the Sox started drawing," the tavern owner said. mjhiggins@tribune.com

Edited by WSoxMatt

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
I will now open myself up to new names

Mitchell's Drinker

Those damn landlords are the devil I tell ya. It was obviously because of the popularity of the sox and the title. They had no problem with Jimbo's until now? Please. One of the worst things about the world today is the lack of common courtesy and respect, not to mention the love of tradition.

Mitchell's (Puffers) is better, anyway.

I've been hearing about this Jimbo's thing for more than a few years now, and there is more too it than meets the eye. That said, even if it turns out that the land owner is doing it just because of the recent rise in popularity of the Sox/the surrounding area, too bad...it's their land. I know if I owned something and could make some big cash on it during what could be a limited window of opportunity, I'd do it.

If Jimbo's was so concerned about this for X number of years, prehaps they should have looked to buy/move or sign a longer term lease. I'm sure if things went the opposite, like say, the neighborhood completely fell apart -- Jimbo would have picked up his ball and left -- and used the excuse that it was only a one year lease and he fufilled his end of the agreement.

Two way street even if we only want to look one way.