White Sox vs. A's , 4/10/07 (L)

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
So it's easier to blame the loss on Pods and Guillen because discussing the elephant in the room would be boring?

It seems there are a lot more posters here blaming both of them than Jenks. Now why is that?

Oh I'm blaming Jenks too. I'd also like to know who called the pitch sequence to Walker....AJ. And yes, you bet Ozzie gets blame for not putting in defensive replacements in the last inning. Inexusable.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
Just like AJP's bat speed, it was down almost the entire 2nd half of last season. I really wonder what strength program we have with our pitchers, as almost every pitcher seems to have their velocity go down with us.

Yea it was down last year but still 95-97.

Well, there are very few closers that have long productive careers. Look at Lidge, Gagne, Wohlers, etc.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
Does Canseco have a more muscular "top of head" than Pods? Is it more boney?

I've seen pre-teen kids get hit in the melon with baseballs and have it hardly phase them.

Deon Sanders, it's the PERFECT comparison. (I'm really utilizing the selective CAPS tonight, good for me.)

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
Just like AJP's bat speed, it was down almost the entire 2nd half of last season. I really wonder what strength program we have with our pitchers, as almost every pitcher seems to have their velocity go down with us.

Loiaza destroyed his arm with that cutter. We've had a lot of injuries too. There will soon be calls to fire Cooper, lol. Contreras' velocity is way down. Buehrle's was way down last year. I think Thornton is the only pitcher with a reliable fastbal in the middle to upper 90's, although we keep promoting this idea of 6 pitchers in the bullpen with closer's stuff. Huston Street hardly throws 90 and he's more effective than any of our pitchers.

Garcia, but his velocity was already declining when he came here. Garland was down, especially the first inning or so.

Aardsma is nowhere near mid 90's. MacDougal used to throw 98-100. Masset's around 92-94 I would guess.

Heck, we were told Felix Diaz and Jon Adkins were flamethrowers.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
It bounced off his head on the rebound. And Canseco is a huge guy, Pods isn't.

If countless fans across major league baseball can bare-hand catch home runs and fouls balls without shattering their hands, I'm sure a major league ballplayer is capable of sustaining the force of a drifting fly ball hitting them atop their caps.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
Loiaza destroyed his arm with that cutter. We've had a lot of injuries too. There will soon be calls to fire Cooper, lol. Contreras' velocity is way down. Buehrle's was way down last year. I think Thornton is the only pitcher with a reliable fastbal in the middle to upper 90's, although we keep promoting this idea of 6 pitchers in the bullpen with closer's stuff. Huston Street hardly throws 90 and he's more effective than any of our pitchers.

Garcia, but his velocity was already declining when he came here. Garland was down, especially the first inning or so.

Aardsma is nowhere near mid 90's. MacDougal used to throw 98-100. Masset's around 92-94 I would guess.

Heck, we were told Felix Diaz and Jon Adkins were flamethrowers.

Part of the reason for the lost velocity is 1. it's early 2. WGN and comcast's guns are off sometimes

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:22 AM)
Oh I'm blaming Jenks too. I'd also like to know who called the pitch sequence to Walker....AJ. And yes, you bet Ozzie gets blame for not putting in defensive replacements in the last inning. Inexusable.

Everything about AJ irks me right now.

they just replayed it 3 times on WGN, it hit his head, after he jumped.

if anderson was in lf, he makes the play at the plate close, and he catches that ball allowing us to goto extras if not walk away with the win by a thread.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:27 AM)
Part of the reason for the lost velocity is 1. it's early 2. WGN and comcast's guns are off sometimes

If anything, those guns were high. Gaudin was clocked at 94 mph, and I've never seen him over 92 in the past.

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
every season jenks starts out slow on the gun, give him some time to build it up.

Every season? You mean last season. That's 1, hardly a trend. I still think my preseason prediction of MacDougal by week 3 will come true.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
If anything, those guns were high. Gaudin was clocked at 94 mph, and I've never seen him over 92 in the past.

Harden was at 97 occasionally.

Garland reached 90-91, but his velocity has been down (obviously) with his shoulder impingement issues since this spring. I was surprised he found another gear with his fastball late in the first and then into the second, as he was throwing almost every pitch all night long from 85-90 MPH and getting away with it.

I've seen MacDougal consistently at 96-100 in Kansas City, on scoreboard/TV/home/visiting/ESPN.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
Every season? You mean last season. That's 1, hardly a trend. I still think my preseason prediction of MacDougal by week 3 will come true.

If i recall correctly before he had the screw in his arm and when we was first drafted by the angels he started out low on the gun when he was at butte and there was concern there too.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
I just saw another replay. It DID NOT hit the wall first. Right off the dome.

CLTV showed the replay as well. The baseball did not deflect off the wall first, or at all.

And Caulfield, I've like your posts this far -- but this is where you look like an idiot. You only make it worse by saying quotes such as:

The ball hit the wall, then came down and bounced off his head.

Do you need glasses?

Umm...because there's rubber padding out there and Pods hit the wall at the same time, so the padding was pushed inwards, creating more of a downward trajectory for the ball when it hit. If it landed directly on his head, he would have been knocked out.

There's NO WAY IN HELL the ball didn't hit the wall first. The replays will confirm it.

No they won't.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
so the padding was pushed inwards, creating more of a downward trajectory for the ball when it hit. If it landed directly on his head, he would have been knocked out.

This was my favorite. Made me laugh out loud.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
CLTV showed the replay as well. The baseball did not deflect off the wall first, or at all.

And Caulfield, I've like your posts this far -- but this is where you look like an idiot. You only make it worse by saying quotes such as:

No they won't.

At this point, we've already blown more game in the bullpen than the Twins will all season.

The Twins are getting crushed by the Yankees, and we'll still probably be two games out after tomorrow.

Sizemore, undoubtedly, will hit 3 more home runs against us, and somehow, either Thornton or Sisco will give up a homer to Hafner. Maybe they will bring up Logan to do the honors.

We're just not executing well this year AGAIN. We have to score that run to go ahead 2-0, I don't care about the umpiring or whatever excuses DJ and Black Jack make.

We're getting good enough starting pitching now...but Jermaine Dye looks like a shadow of his former self, and, after one week, I'm not sure I would offer him $7 million for next year, let alone 3 years and $45 million.

It's disgusting the way we figure out ways to lose games in Oakland. We're now 5-24 and Buehrle's experience there has been like Little Shop of Horrors.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
It's disgusting the way we figure out ways to lose games in Oakland. We're now 5-24 and Buehrle's experience there has been like Little Shop of Horrors.

horror.jpg

FEED ME