"Baseball Instincts"

Jim Fainter

I remember a game 2-3 years ago that we lost, and JM criticized one of his players to the press afterward -- I think it was Greg Norton. Norton had made an obvious f*** up, and JM chose to note it by saying the play in question showed "poor baseball instincts" and we don't want to have players with that quality (words to that effect). Well, let's talk about poor baseball intincts, because if we wanted to keep track of them all this season, we could fill up several pages. The worst offender is Jiminez. He did it again last night as he has done so often this year, and he'll keep doing it as long as he plays. I stayed away from criticizing him, because I really wanted him to do well and make at least one trade look well, but he has convinced me that he is a problem, not a solution, and he should be sent down to the minors or whatever. Those San Diego players knew what they were talking about when they jumped on him in Spring Training.

There are several short term solutions, but the thing that the Sox must recognize is that this team shows "poor baseball instincts" and Manual does nothing about it except watch.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game as it was not broadcast in my area of the country, however, I sat in front of the computer watching MLB game day and when the 10th came along and we had three straight hits and couldn't bring in the run I was screaming. For one thing I can't see how Jimenez didn't score from 2nd, then Lee doesn't go to right field or just try to hit the ball in the air to the OF somewhere-anywhere. I agree that baseball instincts are seriously lacking and at some point players that can't play the game and do the fundamental things needed to win have to be replaced.

I warned folks about Jiminez since before the Sox got him. I got roasted somewhat, the Sox took him anyway and now you see the results. Our whole up the middle situation is bad except for Olivo. I'm old fashioned, I think you need to be strong up the middle to win ball games.