(Breaking News) 2016 Olympic Announcement

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
I really think they chould build an indoor stadium to be used for late season football, and early/late season baseball by both tthe cubs and Sox, Final Fours and the Superbowl. Hell, shot for a BCS game.

s***, this ain't a bad idea, specifically the FF and Bowls part. If they are going to have to build a stadium anyway, might as well kill 2+ birds with one stone, if at all possible. Having FF's, super bowls, and college bowls here would be sweet.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
s***, this ain't a bad idea, specifically the FF and Bowls part. If they are going to have to build a stadium anyway, might as well kill 2+ birds with one stone, if at all possible. Having FF's, super bowls, and college bowls here would be sweet.

Damn that was a fantastic idea. The only problem is that they are only building a temporary stadium, as a permanent one would make Soldier field and many others in the city worthless for parts of the year. Whose money does that subtract from?

They should have put a retractable roof on soldier field in the first place.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Damn that was a fantastic idea. The only problem is that they are only building a temporary stadium, as a permanent one would make Soldier field and many others in the city worthless for parts of the year. Whose money does that subtract from?

They should have put a retractable roof on soldier field in the first place.

Good point, but you'd bring in a boatload of money hosting super bowls, ff's, and college bowls. You would have to think something could be worked out, perhaps.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
Good point, but you'd bring in a boatload of money hosting super bowls, ff's, and college bowls. You would have to think something could be worked out, perhaps.

We would all benefit, but you know they wouldnt let it get done. Unless there was a serious college team in town, we are pretty much stuck with the temp stadium. Of course afterwards I beleive they are turning it into a renovated olympic park thing.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
Buy vacant land south of 43rd street all the way out to Kankakee.

Jesse Jr. can go all out for this third airport.

Daley can go after his cross-town highway now.

That major transportation project connecting all forms of public transportation can also be worked in.

What is the negative out come of the Olympics coming to town....traffic is bad for two weeks?

This is a huge deal and economic boom for the city's union labor as the housing market tanks. Also think about how much funding will go into the police, fire and other public entites t oimprove the infrastructure. All of this is a bad thing. Sure there will be waste involoved but no greater than the schooling systems currently in place.

A great Olympics can benefit Chicago for the next 50 years and change the city flag, adding one more star.

I really think they chould build an indoor stadium to be used for late season football, and early/late season baseball by both tthe cubs and Sox, Final Fours and the Superbowl. Hell, shot for a BCS game.

Well, wasn't Athens well over budget and had financial issues and huge debts after 2004?

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
Well, wasn't Athens well over budget and had financial issues and huge debts after 2004?

The population of Greece is only about 1 million people more than the entire Chicago metropolitian area, not to mention the HUGE income disparity. Greece also was the first post 9-11 summer games, and they did not plan for the new security needs that came with that. We now have fair notice. We also have the entire US to support this bid, versus something the size of Greece/Athens.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
The population of Greece is only about 1 million people more than the entire Chicago metropolitian area, not to mention the HUGE income disparity. Greece also was the first post 9-11 summer games, and they did not plan for the new security needs that came with that. We now have fair notice. We also have the entire US to support this bid, versus something the size of Greece/Athens.

Some good points. I was just asking cause I would be worried about money issues.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
Some good points. I was just asking cause I would be worried about money issues.

I will give Daley credit here, he knows he can't finance this on taxpayer backs in general, and he really has gotten local corporations to pony up for this. I don't doubt that cost over runs will happen, and we will end up paying something, but he has worked hard to pay for this.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
I will give Daley credit here, he knows he can't finance this on taxpayer backs in general, and he really has gotten local corporations to pony up for this. I don't doubt that cost over runs will happen, and we will end up paying something, but he has worked hard to pay for this.

I believe the thing that put us over the top was a local insurance company ponying up 500 million.

The thing about cost over-runs is they will occur in infrastrucure that the city can use prior to and after the games. The third airport and transportation upgrades for instance. The Olympic village will be sold before it is even built. The reasoning for additional hotel space as well. The only thing that may be built that is kind of worthless is the aquatic center.

My feeling is that the city sprawl will be to the aquatic center area by 2016 thus putting that facility in a high rent district, same as the stadium.

This entire situation is long range. US Cellular field will be 25 years old at this time about the same age the HHH dome currently.......

When does the Bears lease run out? The park district losses money on the Bears. Think someone bright would build a domed stadium for the SB and FF. The option to convert to baseball for a couple of months would be intriging as well. Think about the ability to move the game depending on the temperature at any time. The state owns US Cell correct, as they do the McPier crap, the city owns Solider Field. See where I am going.

Am I incorrect in the estimation that the Super Bowl adds $1B to the local economy. The USOC wants the games of 2016 in the US and the IOC does as well. The stadium falling apart cost New York the games, the USOC will not let that happen again. The thinking of the Chicago folks on their idea of a stadium worked on the USOC. The USOC now takes a more active role and can call the shots. Should there be a privately or pubically financied dome stadium, it would be quite a coup by the folks of Chicago. It need not be retractable as there are plenty of open air stadiums. Attach it to McCormick place and you have the locale needed in regard to the athletes as well as US Cell and Solider Field.......

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
For those who are already home owners, that is a huge positive.

Yes yes yes. I close on my first house on Friday, and am looking for it to appreciate at a great rate, since I'll probably sell in 8-10 years.