White Sox vs. Rangers, 4/17/07 (L)

rangercal

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Danks giving some quality bulletin board material if he pitches at Texas this year:

It's a fresh start for a twosome who represent a major part of the Sox's future after facing a similar burden in Texas, where they grew weary of the expectations placed upon them.

"It was all hype," Danks said. "It was one of those things where they build you up. You have one rough game and people write you off. Rangers fans are pretty fair-weathered anyway."

Hey everybody! his name is TejEda not TejAda! he's not a shortstop.

just nitpicking. be on your merry ways.

p.s. GO SOX!!! I bet Konerko kicks his awful streak today. Beating the crap out of whatever he was mad at last game was the solution, I think.

Lets not wake these guys up, makes me feel better knowing their struggling like us, even more so.. :gosox1:

Young: .200, 2, 9

Blalock: .256, 0, 1

Teixeira: .233, 0, 2

Sosa: .175, 2, 7

Catalanotto: .167, 2, 7

Wilkerson: .222, 1, 4

Laird: .129, 0, 2

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Lets not wake these guys up, makes me feel better knowing their struggling like us, even more so.. :gosox1:

Young: .200, 2, 9

Blalock: .256, 0, 1

Teixeira: .233, 0, 2

Sosa: .175, 2, 7

Catalanotto: .167, 2, 7

Wilkerson: .222, 1, 4

Laird: .129, 0, 2

I dont see Ian Kinsler on that list. :D

Good post on Reifert's blog yesterday:

Catching Up

Monday, April 16, 2007

Breaking My Silence

Sorry to disappear last week. The first few days kept me very busy -- what with battling the late night games in Oakland -- and a few personal matters with my family that landed us in the emergency room one night (in the end, all will be well).

Funny how things look 11 games into the season.

Coming out of Tucson, the concern was all about our pitching, particularly our starting pitching.

Just two games into the season, our favorite columnist wrote an angry (imagine that), fevered piece with the header: "Spinning Out of Control ... Let's Start with Sox' Rotation: Just two games into the season, it's already clear that Williams & Co. were all wrong about their staff."

Among the very best quotes ...

"Well, swallow this: The rotation stinks."

"We knew more than you knew."

"... Kenny GM is going to owe fans a major apology for being so smug."

"The Sox are so busy trying to show people how brilliant they are, they twist themselves into silly knots."

Oops. Want a mulligan?

Now, my guess is that this column was actually written sometime during the winter with the columnist's finger poised over the send button waiting for his next opportunity to strike. It might have been a little premature, and perhaps a little wrong.

It took Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley's article on April 13 to correct the newspaper's written record with "Trader Kenny On a Roll."

"Looking back on Williams' trades, he is 3-0-1, and even that tie is swaying heavily in his favor."

Later, Joe concludes with, "Point is, these deals were to be measured in September, not in February. It's way too early to underestimate what Williams did."

Pretty disparate views, huh. Which one do you think is more accurate?

Actually, it's way too early, and way too cold, to draw conclusions one way or the other. I sat through most of those spring games. Arizona weather, Tucson altitude and the hard infield, high sun, do matter, but no one looked like Cy Young in Tucson. Matt Thornton and John Danks were our best pitchers in the spring, while David Aardsma struggled all of March to make the staff.

So where do we stand now?

We are third in the AL in pitching with a 3.54 ERA, while our starters -- despite the rough/quirky first three outings of the year -- are eighth at 3.86. The re-vamped bullpen, led by Aardsma's 0.90 ERA, owns a 3.10 ERA.

We stand at 5-6, and oh for a few clutch hits, this trip could have been 5-1 or at least 4-2.

Offensively, we rank last in the AL with a .222 mark and just ahead of KC with 38 runs scored (to the Royals 36). I think all of us feel pretty comfortable that this team eventually is going to hit and eventually going to score runs.

If not, we have a completely different issue from the one we all anticipated coming out of spring training. (just review your posts on this blog from mid to late March).

What was it that Coop said this spring? "Never evaluate in spring training." Particularly with veteran teams.

Maybe we all learned a lesson.

Edited by The Ginger Kid