DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

Since the Prez Candidate thread is getting quite large...

This thread for DEM candidate talk.

New poll of Dem candidates says Obama now tied with Clinton, both at 32%. Edwards at 17, Richardson at 3, others 1 or less.

ETA: Inside the numbers... Obama has the highest core support, and has a large advantage among "unaffiliated" voters. So it seems Obama is in the strongest position as of today. Clinton's UNfavorable number is still a very high 49%.

The following candidates have higher UNfavorable than favorable views in latest polling: Clinton, Biden, Dodd and Kucinich.

Candidates with 70% or less total recognition (in other words, more room for getting known, and therefore a potentially higher ceiling if they can raise their profile) include Richardson, Kucinich, Dodd and Biden. My guy Richardson is the only candidate to NOT have higher UNfavorable than favorable AND have significant room for recognition.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this isn't like the "only" party threads, and we can cross comment...

Anyways, does anyone else feel like this race so far is pretty much like watching ESPN? You can pretty much only hear about what the Yankees and Red Sox are doing, unless you watch really closely, then you might pick up something else.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)

Anyways, does anyone else feel like this race so far is pretty much like watching ESPN? You can pretty much only hear about what the Yankees and Red Sox are doing, unless you watch really closely, then you might pick up something else.

I totally agree, and I am so over Clinton and Obama. Seriously, new choice please!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)

Its about Dem CANDIDATES, not just for Dems to discuss. Everyone is invited! Same with the other thread! Its just that the primaries make more sense to be party-specific, when discussing the candidates.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I totally agree, and I am so over Clinton and Obama. Seriously, new choice please!

richardson2.jpg

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm the only person in America that still longs for a President Feingold. . . :crying

Ew.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Its about Dem CANDIDATES, not just for Dems to discuss. Everyone is invited! Same with the other thread! Its just that the primaries make more sense to be party-specific, when discussing the candidates.

richardson2.jpg

Ew.

Yeah, I know. But his snowball had a better chance in hell than Kucinich's. :)

I did one of those online questionnaires a little while back to see which candidate I coincide with the most and no surprise it's Kucinich. I am leaning Obama at this point though.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
I did one of those online questionnaires a little while back to see which candidate I coincide with the most and no surprise it's Kucinich. I am leaning Obama at this point though.

Kucinich is just not electable. And although I don't align well with him politically, I've always said (he ran in 2004 too), he may be the most honest person out there running.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
And that is entirely the reason I will not vote for him. And I do agree he seems the most honest.

This is one guy who has never waivered from his personal beliefs and isn't afraid to tell you about it. I may disagree with him hugely, but I applaud him and actually respect him for being the most stand up guy running for president.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The two front-runners in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination rebuked Republican White House rival Rudy Giuliani on Wednesday for suggesting the United States could face another major terrorist attack if a Democrat is elected in 2008.

Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, said the man who served as New York mayor's during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks should not be making the serious threat that faces the country into "the punchline of another political attack."

"Rudy Giuliani today has taken the politics of fear to a new low and I believe Americans are ready to reject those kind of politics," Obama said in a written statement. "'America's mayor' should know that when it comes to 9/11 and fighting terrorists, America is united. We know we can win this war based on shared purpose, not the same divisive politics that question your patriotism if you dare to question failed policies that have made us less secure."

Sen. Hillary Clinton -- without mentioning Giuliani's name, although an aide said the statement was responding to him -- said in a written statement that "politicalrhetoric" won't stop plots currently in the works against the United States.

"We have to protect our country from terrorism -- it shouldn't be a Democratic fight or a Republican fight," the New York senator said. "The plain truth is that this administration has done too little to protect our ports, make our mass transit safer, and protect our cities. They have isolated us in the world and have let al Qaeda regroup.

"The next president is going to be left with these problems and will have to do what it takes to make us safer and bring Democrats and Republicans together around this common mission of protecting our nation."

Edwards joins in with a stronger statement than either of those 2.

"Rudy Giuliani's suggestion that there is some superior 'Republican' way to fight terrorism is both divisive and plain wrong. He knows better. That's not the kind of leadership he offered in the days immediately after 9/11, and it's not the kind of leadership any American should be offering now.

"As far as the facts are concerned, the current Republican administration led us into a war in Iraq that has made us less safe and undermined the fight against al Qaeda. If that's the 'Republican' way to fight terror, Giuliani should know that the American people are looking for a better plan. That's just one more reason why this election is so important; we need to elect a Democratic president who will end the disastrous diversion of the war in Iraq."

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
This is one guy who has never waivered from his personal beliefs and isn't afraid to tell you about it. I may disagree with him hugely, but I applaud him and actually respect him for being the most stand up guy running for president.

I actually did vote for him in the 2004 primaries. I think by the time I did, though, Kerry had all but locked up the nomination. I'm still thinking of voting for him next time around, but John Edwards is seeming better lately.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I actually did vote for him in the 2004 primaries. I think by the time I did, though, Kerry had all but locked up the nomination. I'm still thinking of voting for him next time around, but John Edwards is seeming better lately.

Personal plea: please re-think Edwards. Dig a little deeper - I think there is very little substance there.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 07:50 AM)
Personal plea: please re-think Edwards. Dig a little deeper - I think there is very little substance there.

Eh, I'm probably going to end up voting Kucinich again. I like voting for someone that actually thinks like me (although about a foot shorter).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 05:50 AM)

I'm still leaning in Obama's direction, but honestly, Edwards has run a much better and much smarter campaign the last 2 months. Just look at their 2 statements...Obama comes off whining about Rudy being mean, and Edwards just comes out and calls B.S. on a B.S. statement. The correct response to this sort of impugning of the Dems is exactly what Edwards did; call B.S. on it and actually come out looking strong. Edwards seems to be setting the curve on everything...trying to control carbon emissions as part of his campaign, being the first to pull out of the Fox News hosted debates, getting policy positions out there that make sense.

Obama's a hell of a speaker, but in terms of running the campaign, Edwards seems a step ahead of him at every point. And we've seen in the past 2 elections that no matter what you do, if you run a crappy, disorganized campaign, the Republicans are going to win.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
I'm still leaning in Obama's direction, but honestly, Edwards has run a much better and much smarter campaign the last 2 months. Just look at their 2 statements...Obama comes off whining about Rudy being mean, and Edwards just comes out and calls B.S. on a B.S. statement. The correct response to this sort of impugning of the Dems is exactly what Edwards did; call B.S. on it and actually come out looking strong. Edwards seems to be setting the curve on everything...trying to control carbon emissions as part of his campaign, being the first to pull out of the Fox News hosted debates, getting policy positions out there that make sense.

Obama's a hell of a speaker, but in terms of running the campaign, Edwards seems a step ahead of him at every point. And we've seen in the past 2 elections that no matter what you do, if you run a crappy, disorganized campaign, the Republicans are going to win.

I agree Edwards is an excellent campaigner. But that's not the same as an excellent candidate. I realize that part of the thought process needs to be about winning the national, but for now, most of my focus is still on the best candidate in each party on merit. But maybe that's because I'm not heavily invested in either party.

The RNC must know the only way they can win this is to get our vain, dumb-as-f*** media stars to focus on the trivial. This is the entirety of the press release sent out about the debate tonight.

We've just received the RNC's "W2W4" for tonight's debate. That's "What to Watch For" to you and me, and here's the sum total -- we swear -- of the issues that the RNC says voters should be monitoring as the Democrats meet in South Carolina:

1. Will Sen. Hillary Clinton Adopt Her "Southern Drawl" for Her Debate In South Carolina?

2. Will Former Sen. John Edwards Show Up With a New Makeover?

3. What Part of His Resume Will Sen. Barack Obama Exaggerate?

4. Will Gov. Bill Richardson Arrive at Debate on a Horse, Helicopter, or Corporate Jet?

5. Will Sen. Joe Biden Proclaim That He Is a "Northeast Liberal" ... Again?

6. Will Sen. Chris Dodd Be Asked to Show Identification Before Being Allowed on Stage?

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/200...bate/index.html

Any guesses on how many of these topics Maureen Dowd writes about in her next column?

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
The RNC must know the only way they can win this is to get our vain, dumb-as-f*** media stars to focus on the trivial. This is the entirety of the press release sent out about the debate tonight.

Any guesses on how many of these topics Maureen Dowd writes about in her next column?

Why do you care what the RNC thinks of the Dem debate? Why would you or anyone care what Howard Dean said about a GOP debate?

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Why do you care what the RNC thinks of the Dem debate? Why would you or anyone care what Howard Dean said about a GOP debate?

Because it foreshadows how they plan on framing each candidate through the rest of the campaign. And it's always interesting to see Chris Matthews' and friends giggle over the trivial crap sent out in these press releases.