DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 06:30 AM)
Even if she loses NC and IN she can still win the election on the supers. This thing will drag on for as long as possible.

Looking at the remaining contests, if she loses NC and IN, she'd need to do very well in the remaining group AND get a whopping 75% or so of the remaining superdelegates, in order to win. Do you think that 75% of those remaining party elders are going to go against the will of the people, as expressed in the delegate count, and the popular vote?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NC GOP group to run "Rev. Wright" video attacking Obama and his supporters

This morning, NBC/NJ’s Carrie Dann reports, the North Carolina GOP will unveil a 30-second ad that attacks Democratic gubernatorial candidates Beverly Perdue and Richard Moore for their endorsements of Obama. The ad, per the party, will reference "controversial figures from Barack Obama's past" and raise the question of the candidates' "judgment" in supporting him.

The ad will be unveiled at an 11:00 am press conference. So far, the Democratic gubernatorial campaigns say that they have not yet seen it and declined to comment before knowing the content. But it's anticipated by Democratic bigs in the state that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright will play a starring role.

RNC... DONT!

Per the RNC, the national leadership of the Republican Party has been in contact this morning with the North Carolina GOP, urging them to refrain from running the "Extreme" ad. The party says that the content of the anti-Obama ad, which references the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, is "not appropriate" and "unhelpful."

The NC GOP is an independent organization not bound to the recommendations of the national party. A spokesman from the NC party declined to comment on any conversations between the RNC and the North Carolina team.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Looking at the remaining contests, if she loses NC and IN, she'd need to do very well in the remaining group AND get a whopping 75% or so of the remaining superdelegates, in order to win. Do you think that 75% of those remaining party elders are going to go against the will of the people, as expressed in the delegate count, and the popular vote?

No. I don't think she will win it, but she won't drop out, either. She'll drag it on and continue to beat up on Obama so that he's nice and soft by the time McCain and all the "independent" Republican groups get a hold of him.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
I have no idea what cattle futures is all about but I doubt Obama will be bringing up the Lewinsky or Whitewater anytime soon.

Hillary Clitnon was caught conducting insider trading of cattle futures, but was not caught until the statute of limitations was up.

The Clintons would not release their taxes from the late 70s/early 80. It wasnt until they were forced to release them that it was found.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
And then Obama becomes "just another politician."

This will not end well for Democrats.

I have an interesting point. the campaign doesnt have to talk about it. All the have to do is say they MAY and the media runs with it from there. (Clinton has been doing this all year) We are talking about it now, arent we? ;)

Clinton's Moving Goal Posts: Now the Popular Vote

First it was delegates. Then it was who won big states. Then it was who won only the primary states. Then it was superdelegates. Now... it's the popular vote that is most important. Interviewed on MSNBC Hillary top adviser Terry McAuliffe continued their efforts to make the case that the pledged del count isn't the metric for who wins.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Hillary Clitnon was caught conducting insider trading of cattle futures, but was not caught until the statute of limitations was up.

The Clintons would not release their taxes from the late 70s/early 80. It wasnt until they were forced to release them that it was found.

I wouldn't call it insider trading BY her. I would call it bucketing trades on her behalf. There is a difference, but both are just as illegal.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Funny analogy someone typed in a blog:

Or the CPU opponent in Madden who is down by 3 TD's and a FG who runs the 2 minute drill every time they get the ball.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)

This is what I don't understand when her people claim she's been "fully vetted." Being fully vetted implies that you've checked out clean. If she had checked out clean, I would probably not have been so god damn anti-Hillary for the last few months, and I'd have no problems with her getting the nomination. It's kind of conveniently glossed over that there is plenty of dirt there, much worse than anything Obama has ever done or thought about doing, but the only reason it's not ever talked about is because it's old news and the media bringing it up wouldn't attract any attention. But could you imagine if Obama had said "screw 'em?" Or even Hillary saying it recently, for that matter.

Hillary did make up some 200,000 votes in the popular count

I bet she is going to argue with numbers like

Popular Vote (w/FL & MI)

Obama: 14,973,720 - 47.4% Hillary: 15,095,663 - 47.8%

She will then say that she is the choice of the people and not counting MI and FL is disenfranchisement.

Clinton is Not Too Sure On The Facts

“After last night's decisive victory in Pennsylvania, more people have voted for Hillary than any other candidate, including Sen. Obama."

Except it's not true. She excludes 15 caucus states (this is base don her personal beliefs that caucuses dont count) and includes MI and FL. Since FL and MI are not being included in the delegate count, the REAL total vote is 14,214,171 for Obama and 13,630,267 for Clinton.

In PRIMARIES ONLY (not including MI, but INCLUDING FL), she is STILL behind Obama. 14,345,011 - 14,255,747.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

FROM TPM's Josh Marshall:

The Bright Side

I've said this a number of times in conversations with friends and I'm not sure if I've written it up on TPM or not. But while there a lot of downsides for the Democrats about the current primary campaign (regrettably, so many self-inflicted), there is one thing that I think bodes well for the Democrats -- or at least shows a problem for John McCain.

That is this: right now McCain is enjoying his post-nomination-clinching honeymoon. He's also got the field completely clear. No one's out there whacking him everyday, which means the press has no McCain-whacking stories to churn through. On the other hand, the Democrats are beating each other senseless. They daily hit on each others' weaknesses, which not only airs their dirty laundry, and gets the press to talk about it. It also breeds resentment between the supporters of the Democratic candidates, thus pushing up the number Democrats saying they're unwilling to vote for the possible nominee. Put that all together and John McCain is enjoying the most favorable environment he's going to get right now and the Democrat (whoever is the nominee) is probably suffering the worst. And with all that, the race appears to be essentially tied.

I don't want to be Polyannish. With all the terrible news Republicans are getting these days and with an incumbent Republican president who is now more unpopular than any president in modern history, the fact that the Republicans have a nominee who is very much in the race is little short of astounding and very disheartening for any Democrat. With all that said, though, this simple fact should not be forgotten. I assure you smart Republican strategists are not.

--Josh Marshall

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
FROM TPM's Josh Marshall:

I have another take. Obama and Clinton are getting hammered now, but McCain is not. That means come general election time, HE'LL be the one with "new" negative information about him. Yes the GOP will try to bring up Wirght and Ayers, but most people will yawn and say it's old news.

Edwards Backers Team Up With Obama

No, John Edwards has not yet endorsed a candidate.

But nearly 50 of his most prominent backers lined up behind Senator Barack Obama today, in a gesture designed to give Mr. Obama a heavy boost of support less than two weeks before the North Carolina primary on May 6.

The group includes Ed Turlington, Mr. Edwards’s former national general campaign chairman; three North Carolina members of Congress; and 46 local activists, philanthropists and business leaders, among others.

We're gonna close this megathread for the Dem Primaries and replace it up top with the two candidate specific threads. Since this thread has become little more than support one, bash the other anyway - it will make for easily sortable reading.

Thanks,

Rex Kickass