DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
I agree. I also find it amazing how much support he is getting from the grass roots level. All the $100 or less donations have added up to quite a large sum in Q1. He really has a huge buzz and feel-good aura about him that few politicians ever get. He also seems to be quite liked by moderates even though his voting record has been quite left-leaning.

I think the most amazing thing about Mr. Obama goes along with this. Normally, at this point in a campaign, candidates can turn out people in the hundreds, even if they're going for bigger rallies and not small meetings with big donors. Obama has been turning out crowds in the tens of thousands and has been doing so regularly for months. It's simply hard for me to fathom how that will impact the race, but it's a phenomenon I don't think we've ever seen. At this point in 03, the Dean campaign was just barely holding its first meetups, and I doubt Dean could have turned out 10k from the entire country.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Do you seriously believe that only the RNC does this to its opposition?

If I did I would have said so. I think what's important is what the RNC has decided to focus on. Hillary's fake, Edward's is a f**, Obama's an exaggerator (there's a new one) and so on and so forth.

They've got very little to go on, so this is what they want the media to focus on. And you can bet the bank that a number of them will.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Yep... this is the Hannity and Limbaugh talking points.

Like they need it anyway.

I'm not really referring to them, so much as the Matthews', Dowd, and O'Donnell gigglefests.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
I'm not really referring to them, so much as the Matthews', Dowd, and O'Donnell gigglefests.

Well, to them, the RNC talking that way is "funny" ... and that they are spinning it that way, not that they are being called out that way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
Well, I missed the debate. Anyone see it? Thoughts? Any good stuff?

I don't even know what channel it was on.

Was on MSNBC. Pretty tame for the most part.

I think Clinton, Dodd, Kucinich and Edwards did the best. Obama seemed too hesitant at times. The Senator from Alaska is crazy and Richardson lost my interest after Brian Williams stated that Richardson is the NRA's #1 candidate in the race by either party. :P

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Was on MSNBC. Pretty tame for the most part.

I think Clinton, Dodd, Kucinich and Edwards did the best. Obama seemed too hesitant at times. The Senator from Alaska is crazy and Richardson lost my interest after Brian Williams stated that Richardson is the NRA's #1 candidate in the race by either party. :P

The more I hear, the more I like :cheers

Clinton and Biden did well IMO, and the rest of the group was pretty average.

Richardson surprised me by saying he thought Byron White would be his ideal Supreme Court Justice. Byron White was one of the most socially coservative justice before retiring in 1993. I thought Richardson's choice was odd, but then when Williams wanted him to mention "someone of the living," he chose Ruth B. Ginsburg, who is the most socially liberal justice on the current court.

I don't think this debate will impact the race mainly because it is so far out from the primaries, plus there is less media focus now. I am a political junkie, so I love this stuff.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
Well, I missed the debate. Anyone see it? Thoughts? Any good stuff?

I don't even know what channel it was on.

You know how if you missed the Sox game last night, you are a better person for it? Same with this "debate".

"In one sentence, describe how you would save the world?"

"Well, I would..."

"You're time is up."

"Next, raise your hands if you think Dennis Kucinich is crazy. Good. Next question for John Edwards. You want to be President, yet you had an expensive haircut. Explain this discrepancy."

This was designed purely for "gotcha!" soundbites, not to learn anything about what any candidate would offer the country as president. And we've got 2 more years of this nonsense.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
If I did I would have said so. I think what's important is what the RNC has decided to focus on. Hillary's fake, Edward's is a f**, Obama's an exaggerator (there's a new one) and so on and so forth.

They've got very little to go on, so this is what they want the media to focus on. And you can bet the bank that a number of them will.

If you seriously believe that only the RNC does this kind of stuff, there isn't much point in even talking to you about politics at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 06:46 AM)
If you seriously believe that only the RNC does this kind of stuff, there isn't much point in even talking to you about politics at all.

The only difference between the two is the RNC is much better at this and has control of the publics perception of the media (against the GOP, helpful to Dem) and the opinion talk shows. The RNC doesn't have to control the media, all they had to do is discredit it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 07:25 AM)
The only difference between the two is the RNC is much better at this and has control of the publics perception of the media (against the GOP, helpful to Dem) and the opinion talk shows. The RNC doesn't have to control the media, all they had to do is discredit it.

Obviously it is pretty much the opposite of that. If the GOP agenda is making it out into the public hands, and the DNC isn't. If they had such good control of things, there wouldn't be leaks, for example, like the DNC. They get their message out, and no one even seems to notice it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
Obviously it is pretty much the opposite of that. If the GOP agenda is making it out into the public hands, and the DNC isn't. If they had such good control of things, there wouldn't be leaks, for example, like the DNC. They get their message out, and no one even seems to notice it.

When the media reports on GOP failings, the GOP radio network, and their loyalists, start screaming media bias. Teflon. It's easily the single greatest political strategy of our time. They have insulated themselves from criticism. :notworthy

It's not about message. It's about the GOP faithful believing that any bad news is just media falsehoods and any good news is obviously fact and probably underplayed. Like I said, it's brilliant. Reagan had it by his larger than life personality and charm. They figured out how to synthesize it and wrap even someone like Bush in it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
When the media reports on GOP failings, the GOP radio network, and their loyalists, start screaming media bias. Teflon. It's easily the single greatest political strategy of our time. They have insulated themselves from criticism. :notworthy

It's not about message. It's about the GOP faithful believing that any bad news is just media falsehoods and any good news is obviously fact and probably underplayed. Like I said, it's brilliant. Reagan had it by his larger than life personality and charm. They figured out how to synthesize it and wrap even someone like Bush in it.

And there is never anything coming from the other side of the aisle... Yikes. You guys really are brainwashed.

Yes the GOP is a complete multimedia machine which is unopposed by anything known to modern man, and has the power to control the thoughts of every man woman and child on the planet. That's why President Bush has a mid 30's approval rating.

You keep buying the Clinton company line about a vast right wing conspiracy, because tin foil looks good on you.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
They don't have to go after him. That's the really sad part. The other issue is we love Governors, not Senators.

The only governor running in the GOP is Romney and he's from Mass no less.

Both sides do it. The RNC is just way better at it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
And there is never anything coming from the other side of the aisle... Yikes. You guys really are brainwashed.

Yes the GOP is a complete multimedia machine which is unopposed by anything known to modern man, and has the power to control the thoughts of every man woman and child on the planet. That's why President Bush has a mid 30's approval rating.

You keep buying the Clinton company line about a vast right wing conspiracy, because tin foil looks good on you.

LOL. The GOP has been screaming media bias for so long, it worked. 24/7 conservative talk. It's amazing. Be proud GOP_man.

And I assume you are exaggerating, or else here's the tin foil :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
LOL. The GOP has been screaming media bias for so long, it worked. 24/7 conservative talk. It's amazing. Be proud GOP_man.

And I assume you are exaggerating, or else here's the tin foil :lolhitting

No acutally I am not exaggerating. There is already on guy in this very thread who said he believes that ONLY the RNC partakes in these kind of activities, and you seem to believe that the media is a GOP controled machine. You guys are brainwashed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
No acutally I am not exaggerating. There is already on guy in this very thread who said he believes that ONLY the RNC partakes in these kind of activities, and you seem to believe that the media is a GOP controled machine. You guys are brainwashed.

No re-read what I wrote. They can't control the media, even better, and this is what is genious, they control how you view the media. They have convinced a large segment of the population that the media has a liberal bias, is out to *get* the GOP, and is not to be believed. That is the beauty of their strategy. :notworthy

The talk radio is dominated by GOP leaning hosts. Just look at the shows that are available. How can you compare? The GOP lined up some great advertisers who will sponsor those shows in any market regardless of ratings and demographics. Brilliant. Be proud GOPers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
No re-read what I wrote. They can't control the media, even better, and this is what is genious, they control how you view the media. They have convinced a large segment of the population that the media has a liberal bias, is out to *get* the GOP, and is not to be believed. That is the beauty of their strategy. :notworthy

The talk radio is dominated by GOP leaning hosts. Just look at the shows that are available. How can you compare? The GOP lined up some great advertisers who will sponsor those shows in any market regardless of ratings and demographics. Brilliant. Be proud GOPers

Oh, so we just control people's minds, the advertisors, and the radio. Yeah, brainwashed.