DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) today sent the following letter to President Bush requesting that he ensure that the National Guard has the resources necessary to respond to domestic emergencies and disasters:

The text of the letter is below:

Dear President Bush:

I’m troubled by reports that our emergency response capabilities continue to be hampered because National Guard resources have been diverted overseas. The Guard provides our first defense against disasters that strike on our soil. In light of the tragic events in Greensburg, Kansas, I’m writing to ask you that the federal government ensure that the National Guard has the resources necessary to respond to disasters here at home.

In my home state of Illinois, the Air National Guard reports shortages of trucks, earth movers, and other equipment critical to emergency response. According to the Government Accountability Office, the Illinois National Guard only has 45.6% of its dual-use equipment on hand. That’s under half of what we need to dam the Mississippi if it overflows. That’s under half of what we need to respond to deadly tornadoes. That’s under half of what we need to evacuate wounded civilians from an attack.

Our National Guard should never be overstretched to the point where we allow our homeland security and emergency response capabilities to erode. We must provide our troops with all of the resources they need to perform their missions overseas, but we must also ensure that civilians at home are protected from natural disasters and security threats.

Governor Sebelius was right to question the diversion of the Guard’s resources and personnel overseas. There’s no question that this has undercut our emergency preparedness and our homeland security. While the Emergency Management Assistance Compact allows states to cooperate in times of emergency, you know that during a disaster, time equals lives, and the extra time needed to mobilize outside assistance cannot compare with the effectiveness of having people and equipment positioned and ready to respond to a disaster. Your administration should make available all aid necessary to help the residents of Greensburg recover from the tragedy that leveled their homes. The National Governors Association has requested budget authority to reequip Army and Air National Guard units returning from overseas missions – and that authority should be granted.

We cannot afford to learn a lesson about unmet needs each time a disaster strikes. The National Guard is the essential mechanism through which states prepare for and respond to emergencies. If your administration chooses to divert state resources to assist the military overseas, this gap should be filled in order to protect Americans at home.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I can't remember the last time a Presidential candidate tried the humor route in advertising (speeches yes, but not ads). Mr. Richardson has decided to do just that in two new ads. Seems a bit campy, but I have to say, I chuckled a bit.

Anyone think that any other candidates will try that angle? Anyone see any other interesting ads yet?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
So, I can't remember the last time a Presidential candidate tried the humor route in advertising (speeches yes, but not ads). Mr. Richardson has decided to do just that in two new ads. Seems a bit campy, but I have to say, I chuckled a bit.

Anyone think that any other candidates will try that angle? Anyone see any other interesting ads yet?

I think those are great.

I like this...

In a wide-ranging interview, Mr. Obama, a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, said affirmative action programs should ultimately become “a diminishing tool for us to achieve racial equality in this society.”

Asked if his two young daughters should benefit from those programs when they apply to college, he said they should be treated “as folks who are pretty advantaged.”

“I think that we should take into account white kids who have been disadvantaged and been brought up in poverty and shown themselves to have what it takes to succeed,” Mr. Obama said. He added, “There are a lot of African-American kids who are still struggling — even those who are in the middle class may be first-generation as opposed to fifth- or sixth-generation college attendees, and that we all have an interest in bringing as many people together to help build this country.”

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
:lolhitting

Having worked as a director @ Union Board @ Indiana University, let me tell you, that was the fee for a mid-level speaker of some notoriety. When we had Colin Powell or Elizabeth Dole, they were several times that fee for a single appearance.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
Having worked as a director @ Union Board @ Indiana University, let me tell you, that was the fee for a mid-level speaker of some notoriety. When we had Colin Powell or Elizabeth Dole, they were several times that fee for a single appearance.

i know, it's just funny to me that he charges $55,000 to talk about poverty.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 22, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
i know, it's just funny to me that he charges $55,000 to talk about poverty.

Colin Powell spent most of his talk @ IU talking about America's promise, a group he founded to help underpriveledged youth. The amount of money we paid him to talk about that was incredible.

Sadly, this is just how the lecture circuit goes. These universities have money to spend on lecturers, and it gets spent, oftentimes regardless of the person or the work they've done.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:24 AM)
oh, i'm not suprised. just like the irony of the situation. :D

The guy is a multi-millionaire ambulence chaser who is talking about things like poverty, enviornment, health care reform, higher taxes etc. He is a walking contradiction.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
The guy is a multi-millionaire ambulence chaser who is talking about things like poverty, enviornment, health care reform, higher taxes etc. He is a walking contradiction.

But he looks good in his $600 haircut.

I'm uninterested in this whole matter for the most part other than to agree with both sides in part. The college lecture circuit is what it is, the markee speakers have been getting obscene engagement fees for a long time, and I wish to hell I could land that kind of gig. At the same time, it would have been a slam-dunk for Edwards to have stipulated that his fee in this instance be donated to Oxfam or some other high profile poverty relief organization.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:29 AM)
But he looks good in his $600 haircut.

I'm uninterested in this whole matter for the most part other than to agree with both sides in part. The college lecture circuit is what it is, the markee speakers have been getting obscene engagement fees for a long time, and I wish to hell I could land that kind of gig. At the same time, it would have been a slam-dunk for Edwards to have stipulated that his fee in this instance be donated to Oxfam or some other high profile poverty relief organization.

It would have made a big difference if he had done it ahead of time. If he does it at this point, he is pretty much pandering to stop the "controversy".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
It would have made a big difference if he had done it ahead of time. If he does it at this point, he is pretty much pandering to stop the "controversy".

I agree with that, donating the fee now would ring hollow.

Senator John Edwards released the following statement today about the latest congressional developments on a bill to fund the war in Iraq.

"The so-called compromise under discussion in Congress that would give the president another blank check to continue his failed war is a serious mistake. Full funding is full funding, no matter what you call it. Every member of Congress who wants to support our troops and end the war should oppose this proposal. If you're in Congress, and you believe this war is wrong, I urge you to use every power you have to stop it if it's brought up for a vote. Block the blank check.

And I urge all Americans who want this war to end to tell your representatives in Congress that you will support them if they stand up to the president. Tell them you understand that when the president vetoes a bill that funds the troop and ends the war, he is the only person in America stopping support for the troops. It is time for this war to end. As I have said repeatedly, Congress should send the president the same bill he vetoed again and again until he realizes he has no choice but to start bringing our troops home. Anything less is everything he needs to prolong the war."

Seriously, for the other campaigns, there is no excuse for why Edwards is always first out of the gate with these statements. This one is so incredibly obvious that campaigns should have been on it last night.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
Seriously, for the other campaigns, there is no excuse for why Edwards is always first out of the gate with these statements. This one is so incredibly obvious that campaigns should have been on it last night.

they want to do some more polling before they decide what their public stance will be. :D

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
they want to do some more polling before they decide what their public stance will be. :D

And its' been another 24 hours, and neither Obama or Hillarity have come out with a position on this yet.

That's it, f*** these people. I'm back to undecided and leaning Edwards until they get their act together. This is total B.S. on their part. This is the easiest decision they should ever have to make.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)

The $40,000 he received from my University was actually a fund raiser and they did very nicely having him there, I wonder how many of these appearances are fund rasiers? It probably wouldn't make a difference to anyone.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 25, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
The $40,000 he received from my University was actually a fund raiser

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

that makes it 10 times worse (only three times more hilarious)

the guy goes to speak at a fundraiser to help alleviate poverty... but demands $40,000, which if he waived his fee, would have gone to the poor.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ May 25, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

that makes it 10 times worse (only three times more hilarious)

the guy goes to speak at a fundraiser to help alleviate poverty... but demands $40,000, which if he waived his fee, would have gone to the poor.

The fund raiser went to the University foundation, We also had President Bush a couple years back, Guilani, Powell, and Stormin' Norman. They all command that kind of price tag and all generate way more in community visibility and donations,

From the foundation board it's a simple decision to hire big name and therefor high dollar speakers,

BTW, sports stars and etc, charge waaaaay more than these guys,

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 25, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
The fund raiser went to the University foundation, We also had President Bush a couple years back, Guilani, Powell, and Stormin' Norman. They all command that kind of price tag and all generate way more in community visibility and donations,

From the foundation board it's a simple decision to hire big name and therefor high dollar speakers,

BTW, sports stars and etc, charge waaaaay more than these guys,

none of which has anything to do with the fact Edwards is a total phony. if you are worth like 200 million dollars and give a speech at a fundraiser to help the poor and demand a $55,000 speaking fee you are a total ass

Edited by mr_genius