Where are all you Erstad haters now?

Dan

They know the web gems that ESPN shows them.

Why have Rowand, Uribe and Crede been snubbed?

They aren't a "name".

Chavez is better; Rowand's overrated (and Hunter's better); Uribe has been gipped, as has Everett. Adam Everett.

All the same, the system has flaws like any democratic system but it definitely isn't the sham you're making it out to be.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
The Palmiero story is true.

Nobody said it isn't. All I said, with regard to it,

All the same, the system has flaws like any democratic system but it definitely isn't the sham you're making it out to be.

I'm not going to sit here arguing with you over whether or not Gold Gloves mean a damn thing. I think they do and that's it from my end.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
The Palmiero story is true.

i was laughing because you said Gold gloves are a made-up award by the media.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
I'm not going to sit here arguing with you over whether or not Gold Gloves mean a damn thing. I think they do and that's it from my end.

Uhh...you're already arguing it.

You're missing knightni's point. Sure, they might occasionally get it right. But it's the voters following the clippings, not the other way around. They don't tell us anything. Hunter is so good that he gets noticed, even in Minny. Jeter gets noticed just because he's in NY, so his big plays get magnified. The award itself has almost nothing to do with that year's performance. Chavez healthy IS probably better than Crede. But he keeps winning the award however stiff his back makes him in a given year.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
..and even with his night full of singles, his OBP remains at .335.

But hey, if bumping month old threads gives you that funny feeling, more power to you.

In case you haven't noticed, he's on a 6 game hit streak, chief.

I fail to see the point of bumping a month old thread after the mighty Darin grindErstad has a 3 single night!!!

I guess we can expect this thread to be found and bumped once a month now for similar reasons.

Geez, I know it goes against what all the soxtalk experts predicted as far as Erstad being horrible and worthless, but it shouldn't have to deter you so much from giving the guy a little credit when it's due.

Don't worry, you're all still excellent baseball analysts.

Maybe alot of us are all a bit tired of the act of Hawk and DJs endless knob slobbering over an average CFer's every AB, putout, slide, baserunning, bowel movement??

He has had some success, I don't think you see any of us lamenting that.

"God damn it!! I hate when Erstad does something that helps us win!! Stupid bastard, I hate him!!"

Maybe if we were all saying that, it would be a different story. We're ALL happy with the things he is doing to help this team, even if we are stuck with him at leadoff instead of a more natural #2 spot.

Perhaps we're all just a bit tired of having Sir Grinderist of the Center Fielders shoved down our throat incessantly by anyone associated with this White Sox organization? Could that be it?

Nah, its because we all hate him.

Its got absolutely NOTHING to do with 'swaying opinions' as you say. Having respect for what a new Sox player doing, and maybe even being a fan of said accomplishments is one thing. Having every single routine catch, swing of the bat, step he takes on the basepaths, ALL be revered as the second coming of Christ in baseball is a wee bit excessive. Its unescapable.

Maybe alot of us are sick of being force-fed every minute acclaim of an average 30-something free agent signee, who is really not all that awe-inspiring in the grand scheme of baseball?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 22, 2007 -> 05:28 AM)
Geez, I know it goes against what all the soxtalk experts predicted as far as Erstad being horrible and worthless, but it shouldn't have to deter you so much from giving the guy a little credit when it's due.

Erstad's OBP sits at .315 after tonight. Among CFers who play everyday for their teams in the AL, I could find two CFers who had a lower OBP than that -- Corey Patterson and Coco Crisp. If you did this for leadoff hitters, I'm sure it would be even worse.

Erstad has been every bit as bad at the plate as most of us expected. In fact, the line he's putting up right now -- .269/.315/.353 -- looks exactly like what various projections systems pegged him at. I'm glad Erstad has made most of his hits count, and he's done a pretty good job in CF outside of the weak arm. None of that changes the fact that he's still a bad offensive player, and unfortunate as it is, he's the best option the team has out in CF right now.

If that $6 million option is activated, though, there are going to be a lot of (rightfully so) pissed of people.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
Erstad's OBP sits at .315 after tonight. Among CFers who play everyday for their teams in the AL, I could find two CFers who had a lower OBP than that -- Corey Patterson and Coco Crisp. If you did this for leadoff hitters, I'm sure it would be even worse.

Erstad has been every bit as bad at the plate as most of us expected. In fact, the line he's putting up right now -- .269/.315/.353 -- looks exactly like what various projections systems pegged him at. I'm glad Erstad has made most of his hits count, and he's done a pretty good job in CF outside of the weak arm. None of that changes the fact that he's still a bad offensive player, and unfortunate as it is, he's the best option the team has out in CF right now.

If that $6 million option is activated, though, there are going to be a lot of (rightfully so) pissed of people.

There's more to the lead-off spot than the numbers. After all, he pretty much leads off only once a game. But I agree, 6 mil is not what Erstad deserves.

I'm glad Erstad has made most of his hits count

You should be. He's one of the very few who is doing it on this team, as most are severely underachieving, so his production, although average in certain areas, is helping us win.

QUOTE(Dan @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
I didn't know a 3 time Gold Glover translated into mediocre. Thanks for clarifying.

I hope that you're not using that as justifcation that he's a good defensive CFer. He's above average defensively, but that doesn't make up for being below average, though acceptable, at the plate.

His last gold glove came at 1B, and the last time he won a gold glove in CF was 2002. Check your facts and numbers, cuz that's 5 years ago. You think he still has the range of a 28 year old with no past injuries, considering he's now 33 (or rather, 33 in 2 weeks) with injuries in his past, some of them due to not being able to play CF? Give me a break.

That's not taking anything away from the gold glove award; that's an argument for a different day. When you're using a gold glove won 5 years ago as justification that a player is good defensively, then I begin to wonder if you think Bret Boone, Luis Castillo, or Steve Finley are gold glove caliber defensive players right now.

.339 OBP as leadoff hitter, .296 BA

That's the biggest $1.25 million bargain in the FA market. Tomo Ohka didn't work out so well for the Blue Jays at that price.

Yes, we all prefer (if he returns) that he make $3.25 million instead, but where is the outcry for Mackowiak and Cintron soaking up their millions of dollars on the bench???

His OPS is 720+ as leadoff hitter. Not great, but, once again, HE'S not the one who is hurting us offensively, not by any stretch of the imagination.

And to compare him to Bret Boone and 40+ year old Steve Finley (whoever did that), PRICELESS. Makes me want to bump these threads too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Dan @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In case you haven't noticed, he's on a 6 game hit streak, chief.

..and it only took you a month to wait for a streak like this. Think he'll catch at least Pete Rose's 44?

Darin Erstad had three hits and three RBI to help the White Sox beat the A's 8-5 on Monday night.

Erstad has been as below average as usual, but he keeps on doing just enough to remain in the lineup as an everyday player. Manager Ozzie Guillen surely likes the fact that he's batting .333 in 36 at-bats with RISP. That's the big reason that he has more RBI (20) than runs scored (18) even though he's hit leadoff most of the time.