Jermaine Dye??

watchtower41

With Dye being out of lineup again today, and not a single mention as to why.....does this have anyone overly concerned?? Usually when I team tries to hide behind why a player isnt on the field doesnt lead to good news. All the media stories and articles about last night's game was commenting on how we were able to muster enough runs and offense without our beat weapon, Thome, becuase of the rib soreness. But nowhere did I see anything commenting about Dye. I'm sure most figured that it was just a routine day off, but with 2 in a row now....that doesnt look to be the case.

Anyone?? Anything??

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
With Dye being out of lineup again today, and not a single mention as to why.....does this have anyone overly concerned?? Usually when I team tries to hide behind why a player isnt on the field doesnt lead to good news. All the media stories and articles about last night's game was commenting on how we were able to muster enough runs and offense without our beat weapon, Thome, becuase of the rib soreness. But nowhere did I see anything commenting about Dye. I'm sure most figured that it was just a routine day off, but with 2 in a row now....that doesnt look to be the case.

Anyone?? Anything??

Yeah, this is a little disconcerting. To think we might have a $100 million dollar payroll and still can't muster an OPS over 1.000 from all our outfielders combined...well that would put a damper on the season.

Well this is exactly what Kenny was talking about when in the offseason he was talking about our team getting old, slow, and stale if we dont do anything. And you know what hes right. This team is showing its age. We have a bunch of 30+ year old sluggers, granted they can still hit the crap out of the ball, but they are beginning to show their age. You could notice this last year with the 4 or 5 game stints that would land Thome and Dye out of the lineup; hamstring, hip flexor, calf, etc. We cant allow ourselves to become the Giants of the AL with a ton of aging players. To be honest all these "nagging" injuries that you are going to see with Dye and Thome this year are really starting to and are going to get very frustrating. It happened last year and it will happen again this year. These older guys will get hurt, not enough to go on the DL, but enough to weaken our lineup and bench for a good week or so a few times during the year. Its kinda of a shame to have to go through. I think this might be the reason KW will let and Dye and Thome walk at the end of the contracts they are old and beginning to show the signs of age.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
Well this is exactly what Kenny was talking about when in the offseason he was talking about our team getting old, slow, and stale if we dont do anything. And you know what hes right. This team is showing its age. We have a bunch of 30+ year old sluggers, granted they can still hit the crap out of the ball, but they are beginning to show their age. You could notice this last year with the 4 or 5 game stints that would land Thome and Dye out of the lineup; hamstring, hip flexor, calf, etc. We cant allow ourselves to become the Giants of the AL with a ton of aging players. To be honest all these "nagging" injuries that you are going to see with Dye and Thome this year are really starting to and are going to get very frustrating. It happened last year and it will happen again this year. These older guys will get hurt, not enough to go on the DL, but enough to weaken our lineup and bench for a good week or so a few times during the year. Its kinda of a shame to have to go through. I think this might be the reason KW will let and Dye and Thome walk at the end of the contracts they are old and beginning to show the signs of age.

Then why in the world did he bring back Pods also, who has the durability of an 80 year old?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
I thought that was for defensive purposes and injury prevention with how wet the field was. He was due for a day off.

Originally, that was what everyone assumed. Now that he's out of the lineup the next day, people have begun to question it.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Originally, that was what everyone assumed. Now that he's out of the lineup the next day, people have begun to question it.

From ESPN 1000 this afternoon on my way home from work, Dye has some sort of sprain on his hip. It was not for defensive purpose that he was replaced by Pablo last night. Stop bashing Ozzie blindly when people don't even know the fact!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
It was Mack for Dye, Ozuna for mack actually.

Mack and Anderson were already in the OF and Pablo was subbed in for Dye. Even though he ended up playing LF he was still subbed in for Dye which is a terrible defensive replacement.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
Mack and Anderson were already in the OF and Pablo was subbed in for Dye. Even though he ended up playing LF he was still subbed in for Dye which is a terrible defensive replacement.

Dye has a better arm, Pablo more mobility. either way he was subbed cause he was hurt.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
Dye has a better arm, Pablo more mobility. either way he was subbed cause he was hurt.

I'm just saying it would have made no sense to sub in Pablo for defensive purposes when he's a joke of an outfielder. It was a major red flag when Dye got pulled last night.