Sweeney Called Up

Heads22

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Well, that's how this happens. Anderson is just one little Sweeney hot streak away from the minors. If Sweeney struggles here, BA gets a reprieve.

I'm sure Anderson will be sent down before Thome gets back. The Sox have an open spot on the 40 man roster, they're looking to bring someone in.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)
Anderson is never going to have a career with the Sox, Sweeney should have a pretty long one.

the fact that this is the outlook already on Anderson makes me wanna puke.

Edited by Scwible

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
I think the only real offensive prospect in the Sox system is Cunningham. I don't mean to bash Sweeney, but he's struggling in AAA. And even if he weren't, it's not like he'll be a better hitter than Mackowiak. The Sox system is very weak, and if they want to compete they should really trade for an OF that can hit. They'll need one next season anyway.

Fields??

So does this mean he gets the nod for JD's spot for 08?? That is unless they resign him or acquire someone else.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
You the man Heads22! Actually I was thinking hat Sweeney would be called up I just didn't want to ruin your status. :D

:P

I all but figured he was the guy after not playing for Charlotte yesterday.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
Fields??

So does this mean he gets the nod for JD's spot for 08?? That is unless they resign him or acquire someone else.

Fields K numbers are pretty bad. That like of ability to make contact has derialed better prospects than Fileds (Borchard, Dallas MacPherson). I'm not real optimistic that he'd hit at the major league level. But, that's just my uninformed opinion...

I'm sure the Sox have Sweeney pencilled in RF for 2008. A Pods-Erstad-Sweeney OF would be one of the worst I've ever seen. They might not hit 10 HRs as a group. The Sox will absolutely need to acquire at leats one OF (preferably 2) from outside the organization if they are going to compete in 2008.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Fields K numbers are pretty bad. That like of ability to make contact has derialed better prospects than Fileds (Borchard, Dallas MacPherson). I'm not real optimistic that he'd hit at the major league level. But, that's just my uninformed opinion...

I'm sure the Sox have Sweeney pencilled in RF for 2008. A Pods-Erstad-Sweeney OF would be one of the worst I've ever seen. They might not hit 10 HRs as a group. The Sox will absolutely need to acquire at leats one OF (preferably 2) from outside the organization if they are going to compete in 2008.

Yes his K numbers are not good, but if he's hitting for power the K's are a lesser issue.

Now look at Pods, his K numbers for a leadoff hitter with no power should not be ignored.

Fields definitley has to learn how to fight the bad pitches off with 2 strikes and make better contact though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
:P

I all but figured he was the guy after not playing for Charlotte yesterday.

The funny thing is that the press box wasn't notified he got scratched, so he was announced as the hitter. However, it was Andy Gonzalez at the plate. I know they look similar and all.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)

You're absolutely right. In comparing their first years at Charlotte, Fields struck out in 29% of his ABs in his while Anderson (only) struck out in 26% of his ABs. Of course, Fields hit for a bit more power (about 65 OPS points), but anyone who thinks Fields is going to come up here and not struggle is fooling themselves.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
the fact that this is the outlook already on Anderson makes me wanna puke.

It's worrisome...but not a death knell yet. The exact same thing was being said about Boone Logan last year, and suddenly...he looks damn good.