The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

It's time for Greg Walker to go. I know we're missing Jim Thome, but this offense has just been awful.

Coming into tonight we are hitting a collective .225 as a team...last in the AL.

Not only that, our approach at the plate has looked pathetic literally every game. I haven't had the opportunity to catch tonights game, but whatever happened to shooting the ball the other way?

It's time to get some new blood in our dugout.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this, the guys look absolutely horrid. I don't think Walker is a bad hitting coach, but I've also noticed in baseball that sometimes hitters just need a change every few years because for whatever reason the coach just stops having that positive effect on them (maybe the hitters start ignoring him or the hitting coach gets comfortable and isn't able to think as creatively when it comes to fixing guys problems because he's gotten so familiar that he always thinks a certain thing will fix it).

So I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm also hoping the Bats pull out of this because I do think Walker is one of the better hitting coaches in the league. However, like I said, maybe these guys need to hear a new voice.

At this point in time we've been patient enough.

Let's face it, we're not in a division where we can sit back and relax. We are in a highly competitive division, and if we continue to hit like we are...we are going to be 6+ games out within the next couple of weeks.

It's time for a change, otherwise we're going to have to end up playing .800 ball for three months to make the post-season. ( A la Minnesota Twins)

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ May 1, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
At this point in time we've been patient enough.

Let's face it, we're not in a division where we can sit back and relax. We are in a highly competitive division, and if we continue to hit like we are...we are going to be 6+ games out within the next couple of weeks.

It's time for a change, otherwise we're going to have to end up playing .800 ball for three months to make the post-season. ( A la Minnesota Twins)

Wow...the team is only 3 games out and the pitching has been fantastic. This team would be running away with things if the offense was performing so I think you are greatly over-reacting as far as the whole .800 ball.

That said I want the offense to pick up because it can get really frustrating for the pitchers (and you could see them blow up eventually) if they always have to throw shutouts to win.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Wow...the team is only 3 games out and the pitching has been fantastic. This team would be running away with things if the offense was performing so I think you are greatly over-reacting as far as the whole .800 ball.

That said I want the offense to pick up because it can get really frustrating for the pitchers (and you could see them blow up eventually) if they always have to throw shutouts to win.

You may think I'm overreacting, but I'm not.

You have 3 VERY good competitive clubs in front of you. If we continue to hit like we are this week, we are in a deep hole with only two weeks into May.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying it COULD happen. I'd rather not take that chance.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ May 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)

You have 3 VERY good competitive clubs in front of you. If we continue to hit like we are this week, we are in a deep hole with only two weeks into May.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying it COULD happen. I'd rather not take that chance.

I'll take things because this team has played better than pretty much every one of those teams ahead of them aside from the Indians.

I also know the offense will get better and when it does this team will be sick, especially with the rotation/pen. I am more confident in this team than I was last years team.

I was more confident last year for the sole reason that I thought Contreras was a stud at the beginning of last year. Now, he's a shell of his former self, and I'm not sure how he's going to get his ERA under 5 with a 90 mph fastball and no forkball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)

the solid pitching has kept me very optimistic about this team. i think the hitting is going to come around before the Sox get them self in too much of a deficit.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ May 1, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)

I really don't think those teams ahead of the Sox are as good as you're giving them credit for. From what I've seen of Minnesota, they look like the best team right now and have the talent to win 90-95 games if they ever get Punto out of the 2 hole or out of the lineup, whichever you prefer. Detroit's offense is really not very good and the fact that they are 6th in the MLB is smoke and mirrors because they're in the lower half of the league in AVG and OBP, and the only number aside from runs that they are in the top 10 in is doubles, suggesting that their offense has been ridiculously lucky so far. Cleveland could be very scary, but that pitching staff just doesn't seem like it will ever come together. Really, if the pitching can continue to pitch like it has over the course of the year, the only thing stopping the White Sox from winning this division is the offense. However, from how it looks, that offense may never show up without Walker coming out.

So no, I really see around 95 winning this division again, and that number could be either as low as 92 or as high as 100, but I really don't see anything beyond either of those. The White Sox have the potential to do that, but they need the offense to get healthy and they need to start hitting the damn ball.

I do agree that Walker needs to go, because a change absolutely must be made whether it's his fault or not.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ May 1, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
This sucks, KW needs to step up here.

Ben Broussard is another interesting name. I know he's not playing much on the Mariners but he can play the corner OF positions and at one time was a pretty solid player for the Tribe.

I don't follow the Mariners much but I wouldn't think it would cost too much to get him considering he doesn't play a ton anymore (and again, I realize this is a lefty bat and most would prefer the club acquire a righty but I just think this is the type of guy that could be picked up and maybe get hot and be pretty solid).

The pitching keeps my hopes strong for the team, but the hitting approach is an absolute joke. JD striking out in the 8th and complaining about the called 3rd was frustrating after he swung at ball 4.

Thome is a big loss, but JD and PK should be able to step it up and cover for him, he carried them for the first 20 games.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 1, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Cleveland's ERA is 4.21. With their offensive talent, if they can get an ERA anywhere close to that, they'll be fine. They were also missing their #2 pitcher.

I went through the April stats. They were pretty much the second best bullpen in the AL in April too. They were 1st or second in all the telling peripherals.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 2, 2007 -> 04:58 AM)
I went through the April stats. They were pretty much the second best bullpen in the AL in April too. They were 1st or second in all the telling peripherals.

Borowski had one bad game. Outside of that, their pitching has been damn good. Sizemore hasn't even been that good outside of games vs the Sox. Perralta is showing signs of coming out of his year long hitting slump. If he does that, their offense will be top notch again.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 1, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
Borowski had one bad game. Outside of that, their pitching has been damn good. Sizemore hasn't even been that good outside of games vs the Sox. Perralta is showing signs of coming out of his year long hitting slump. If he does that, their offense will be top notch again.

well he was mediocre last year and they scored 875 runs and they've returned essentially their entire offense, or perhaps improved it. So if Peralta is strong this year, people really need to watch out because they might score 1000 runs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
I'll say this, the guys look absolutely horrid. I don't think Walker is a bad hitting coach, but I've also noticed in baseball that sometimes hitters just need a change every few years because for whatever reason the coach just stops having that positive effect on them (maybe the hitters start ignoring him or the hitting coach gets comfortable and isn't able to think as creatively when it comes to fixing guys problems because he's gotten so familiar that he always thinks a certain thing will fix it).

So I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm also hoping the Bats pull out of this because I do think Walker is one of the better hitting coaches in the league. However, like I said, maybe these guys need to hear a new voice.

Like usual, we agree. I've said before that I don't think this slumber is on the hitting coach, however, change might be the best thing, a lot of times something like that will light a fire under the hitters collective arses.

That being said, I'll bet that Walk or no Walk, we'll be going through the same crap in a year or two.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 2, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
well he was mediocre last year and they scored 875 runs and they've returned essentially their entire offense, or perhaps improved it. So if Peralta is strong this year, people really need to watch out because they might score 1000 runs.

Not to mention the fact they were playing Marte/Boone as well as not getting great production from their OF platoons...and 2B was a wasteland as well.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ May 1, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm not ready to fire Walker, but who would we replace him with if he were to be fired? I keep hearing he should go but no names to replace him.

TONY PHILLIPS!

put him and ozzie in the same dugout, somebodys going to end up getting hurt.