Any updates on Big Jim?

Grindersrule

May 3 Mark Gonzalez, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago White Sox DH Jim Thome (rib cage) is scheduled to play in a short minor league rehabilitation assignment before he rejoins the team. Thome is eligible to come off the disabled list May 13.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
God will it be nice to get him back.

I just hope he's fully healed before he gives it another try. Another couple of weeks on the DL could be devastating to this team, although I do think the offense will come around.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
I just hope he's fully healed before he gives it another try. Another couple of weeks on the DL could be devastating to this team, although I do think the offense will come around.

I think he learned his lesson the first time around. If he doesn't get back in the line up too soon last time, he could be playing by now.

From Rotoworld Today

Jim Thome-DH- White Sox May. 7 - 9:38 am et

Jim Thome (rib) will be examined by team doctors Tuesday and could begin a minor league rehab assignment this week.

Barring a setback, Thome could come off the disabled list as soon as Sunday. Thome has missed seven games thus far.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
I think he learned his lesson the first time around. If he doesn't get back in the line up too soon last time, he could be playing by now.

I would rather have a player that wants to be in the line-up too soon rather than one who always seems to be injured and milks his time on the DL. I think Thome knows his body...those rib cage injuries are so delicate, you can feel 100% and then you're back to zero after resting it for as much as 3-4 weeks. It's the worst injury a player in a sport where there's a violent swing can have, with the possible exception of golf or tennis.

Maybe, just maybe....we can tread water and will have discovered that Sweeney can be the answer in RF or LF and we can survive and adapt without Pods in the second half.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
I would rather have a player that wants to be in the line-up too soon rather than one who always seems to be injured and milks his time on the DL. I think Thome knows his body...those rib cage injuries are so delicate, you can feel 100% and then you're back to zero after resting it for as much as 3-4 weeks. It's the worst injury a player in a sport where there's a violent swing can have, with the possible exception of golf or tennis.

Maybe, just maybe....we can tread water and will have discovered that Sweeney can be the answer in RF or LF and we can survive and adapt without Pods in the second half.

There is a big difference between wanting to play, and doing something stupid that costs your team games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
There is a big difference between wanting to play, and doing something stupid that costs your team games.

The problem is, you never know when you're 100% with that injury.

You can not feel it at all taking swings in BP, and then one swing in a game and you're history.

It's not the type of injury you can easily measure or do MRI's on...for instance, he had ACL surgery and his range of motion is 85% of normal, there's no modern medical miracles that have been invented to treat this type of injury, shark cartilage (Hawk's thing), copper or magnetic bracelets, etc.

Let me just say this... Thome could feel 100% and then re-aggravate this injury. Especially with the ferocity that he swings the bat.

I don't expect this to be his final DL stay of the year... but if he can manage to stay healthy and we can get any semblance of the Podsednik back that started the season, we can win the Central with this pitching staff that I don't see tailing off.