Obama with another gem of a quote

whitesoxfan101

http://www.nbc5.com/politics/13288631/deta...l=headlineclick

Obama Vastly Overstates Kansas Tornado Death Toll

Senator Mistakenly Says 10,000 People Died In Twister

POSTED: 4:14 pm CDT May 9, 2007

UPDATED: 4:32 pm CDT May 9, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

RICHMOND, Va. -- Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, caught up in the fervor of a campaign speech Tuesday, drastically overstated the Kansas tornadoes death toll, saying 10,000 had died.

The death toll was 12.

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed," the Democratic presidential candidate said in a speech to 500 people

This is the same man who said he wouldn't have been born without the 1965 march in Selma, Alabama. Too bad he was born in 1961.

Keep being the cool, young, and black candidate that everybody has to love because he's those 3 things, and try to talk as little as possible, Barack. The more you speak, the more we learn. And that part of your campaign is not going well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
http://www.nbc5.com/politics/13288631/deta...l=headlineclick

This is the same man who said he wouldn't have been born without the 1965 march in Selma, Alabama. Too bad he was born in 1961.

Keep being the cool, young, and black candidate that everybody has to love because he's those 3 things, and try to talk as little as possible, Barack. The more you speak, the more we learn. And that part of your campaign is not going well.

Maybe he and Al Gore created the internet together?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
Right...and when was the bicentenial? He misspoke. Big deal.

He has now missed on a tornado death toll by 9,988 and claimed his birth wouldn't have been possible without an event 4 years after his birth. That's pretty bad, lol.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
He has now missed on a tornado death toll by 9,988 and claimed his birth wouldn't have been possible without an event 4 years after his birth. That's pretty bad, lol.

I'm sure he had Iraq, Katrina and who knows what else spinning in his mind as he spouted out that number. It was a mistake. In the scheme of things I don't think voters will shun him based on that. If he is not able to formulate clear stances on how to solve major issues than I can see people tuning him out.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 10, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm sure he had Iraq, Katrina and who knows what else spinning in his mind as he spouted out that number. It was a mistake. In the scheme of things I don't think voters will shun him based on that. If he is not able to formulate clear stances on how to solve major issues than I can see people tuning him out.

Agreed on your last part, but it's ironic that "he made a mistake" is said about Obama, and if the cheese head in the White House misspeaks, it's earth shattering news and he should be hung for it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
...if the cheese head in the White House misspeaks, it's earth shattering news and he should be hung for it.

Well I think there are 2 ways to "misspeak". One is an accident like this instance with Obama or when Bush screwed up the bicentennial thing the other day. Another way to misspeak is to pretty much lie. That's where a lot of people hammer the Bush administration.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Well I think there are 2 ways to "misspeak". One is an accident like this instance with Obama or when Bush screwed up the bicentennial thing the other day. Another way to misspeak is to pretty much lie. That's where a lot of people hammer the Bush administration.

Or to intentionally throw out a huge number to increase the dramatic effect of your oratory to preacher-like levels. Wouldn't that be a lie? You are assuming that he just made a mistake. maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Noone in his audience seemed to cathc of, they were all nodding in agreement when he said it. look at the people behind him when he says it, not one look of "what did he just say?" I read that the level of missing equipment and guard troops was also wrong, although on that one he supposedly got his info from the governor.

So, when a Republican like Dubya misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's cute, it's part of his down-home country charm. But when a Democrat misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's proof of his sinister, duplicitous, evil nature.

I get it. Thanks.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Or to intentionally throw out a huge number to increase the dramatic effect of your oratory to preacher-like levels. Wouldn't that be a lie? You are assuming that he just made a mistake. maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Noone in his audience seemed to cathc of, they were all nodding in agreement when he said it. look at the people behind him when he says it, not one look of "what did he just say?" I read that the level of missing equipment and guard troops was also wrong, although on that one he supposedly got his info from the governor.

No one would ever believe that 10,000 people died in a tornado, so throwing out "a huge number to increase the dramatic effect" in a situation like that would never, ever work. And, if it was intentional, they'd have to realize that the media would pick up on it and it would look bad.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(Balance @ May 10, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
So, when a Republican like Dubya misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's cute, it's part of his down-home country charm. proof of his sinister, duplicitous, evil nature.

But when a Democrat misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's proof of his sinister, duplicitous, evil nature. it's cute, it's part of his down-home country charm.

I get it. Thanks.

Fixed that for you. It's how it's portrayed every day around here.

BTW, I know Obama misspoke... and I don't care. But it amazes me to see the flocks defend him, just like the "fixed quote" above when the tables are turned.

Edit: and Balta just made my point for me... note the word RESUME in his post.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
Edit: and Balta just made my point for me... note the word RESUME in his post.

Well, you know what they say. Fool me once, shame on, shame on you...

Fool, you can't get fooled again.

:P

Too many of these sorts of flubs and Obama really should take a hit. Mr. Bush deserved to take a much bigger hit for his gaffes than he ever really took, Howard Dean took a gigantic hit for a few of his gaffes and those hits followed him even when he made correct points. Obama's had a bit of a rough month or two, and it's starting to even drag on his poll numbers. He really does need to step up the quality of the campaign he's running here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Well, you know what they say. Fool me once, shame on, shame on you...

Fool, you can't get fooled again.

:P

Too many of these sorts of flubs and Obama really should take a hit. Mr. Bush deserved to take a much bigger hit for his gaffes than he ever really took, Howard Dean took a gigantic hit for a few of his gaffes and those hits followed him even when he made correct points. Obama's had a bit of a rough month or two, and it's starting to even drag on his poll numbers. He really does need to step up the quality of the campaign he's running here.

I agree... you have to be careful what you say. It's crazy to even think about, on both sides of the aisle. This is truely just a silly misspeak, yet, we're all talking about it, which goes to show everyone's watching.

What was it I said a while back, that candidates for this race will be more scrutinized than any ever before? Sheesh.

Anyway, Obama is more likely to suffer for this kind of thing than many other candidates, for a few reasons. One, since he is seen by many as lacking substantive experience, if his charisma and charm fade, that's a big problem for him. Two, there will be a segment of the population that will think of these verbal gaffes as somehow related to race (that's B.S. of course, but some will think it the case). Third, after having a President in office who is by far the worst public speaker of the TV era, the American public is now maybe a little leary of what those gaffes say about the person behind them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
What was it I said a while back, that candidates for this race will be more scrutinized than any ever before? Sheesh.

Anyway, Obama is more likely to suffer for this kind of thing than many other candidates, for a few reasons. One, since he is seen by many as lacking substantive experience, if his charisma and charm fade, that's a big problem for him. Two, there will be a segment of the population that will think of these verbal gaffes as somehow related to race (that's B.S. of course, but some will think it the case). Third, after having a President in office who is by far the worst public speaker of the TV era, the American public is now maybe a little leary of what those gaffes say about the person behind them.

That is exactly my worry about it. I don't think that we got all of the facts before heading into Iraq. Numbers and details need to be checked and accurate. The more of these mistakes I see, the more leery I grow of a candidate because it shows a lack of concern about details.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)

Third best imo.

The second best is the one in my sig, and the best one is this one that suggests that on paper anyway W is at least as smart as the average Texas highschooler:

"As governor of Texas, I have set high standards for our public schools, and I have met those standards."

--CNN online chat, Aug. 30, 2000

:bang

QUOTE(Balance @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
So, when a Republican like Dubya misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's proof of his sinister, duplicitous, evil nature. But when a Democrat misspeaks, or even dissembles, it's proof of his sinister, duplicitous, evil nature.

I get it. Thanks.

nah... in reality it's THAT ^

both sides do it to the other...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
The fact that people think Obama can defeat Hilary is pretty funny to me. Not to say I am a Hilary fan either, but Obama can't beat her, poll numbers be damned (because we know how much those matter).

I'm not sure how you can say that this early in the race. We already know he can keep up with her financially. Once the Gravels and Kucinichs of the world begin dropping out I think things will get tighter in the polls.