White Sox vs. Yankees, 5/16/07 Lets Play Two!! (W), (L)

RME JICO

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
He kept complaining about how the pink bats, which were being used to support breast cancer charities, were taking away from the spirit of the game and had no business being used. This coming from someone who can't go longer than 2 minutes before promoting some type of Diabetes thing.

Wow what an asshole.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
Uribe with a nice step in the bucket there. His front foot moves towards third base, and then he swings. Dont they fix that s*** in high school. What does Walk do again.

Nothing wrong with stepping into the bucket once in a while... Sometimes you need to guess as a hitter.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
Nothing wrong with stepping into the bucket once in a while... Sometimes you need to guess as a hitter.

If a catcher sees a hitter cheating trying to step in the bucket to get around on something, they usually setup away and make it nearly impossible for the hitter to make contact with the ball. 2 things they fix before you get to college. One is a hitch in the swing, the other is stepping into the bucket. If you dont fix that, pitchers will exploit you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
If a catcher sees a hitter cheating trying to step in the bucket to get around on something, they usually setup away and make it nearly impossible for the hitter to make contact with the ball. 2 things they fix before you get to college. One is a hitch in the swing, the other is stepping into the bucket. If you dont fix that, pitchers will exploit you.

I didn't see the AB, but if it was once or twice times where he stepped into the bucket, there is no problem with that. Garrett Anderson is a perfect example of guessing for the inside pitch, and stepping into the bucket every so often.

Personally, I'd like to see Sweeney do that. Sometimes when he has that 2-0, 2-1 count, he should guess and step into the bucket, get those hips open and drive the inside pitch. Right now the scouting report teams have on him looks something like bust him in with fastballs.

But you're right. Consistantly stepping into the bucket is no good.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
I wish there was reason for optimism about this offense for the next few years. When Konerko, Thome, and AJP are the only people you know will be here in two years, that's troubling.

I wouldn't be shocked if the White Sox endured a 90+ loss season within the immediate future. There's numerous positions which require an upgrade (or atleast a cheap(er) alternative), and even our perceived strength -- starting pitching -- may not provide immediate help for 2008.

I hope for nothing more than Sox fans to apply tremendous pressure on management beginning this June. First order is the draft. I'm first looking forward to faces behind the picks on TV. Aside from that, I'm hoping the employees involved with the amateur draft are beginning to feel the threat of a pink-slip down their necks. Production from our selections-- especially those from within the first round-- needs to improve now. It's not enough to talk about our lack of top round picks, or how we've fared in the latter rounds; the first round has been pitiful for over a decade with this organizaiton.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
I didn't see the AB, but if it was once or twice times where he stepped into the bucket, there is no problem with that. Garrett Anderson is a perfect example of guessing for the inside pitch, and stepping into the bucket every so often.

Personally, I'd like to see Sweeney do that. Sometimes when he has that 2-0, 2-1 count, he should guess and step into the bucket, get those hips open and drive the inside pitch. Right now the scouting report teams have on him looks something like bust him in with fastballs.

But you're right. Consistantly stepping into the bucket is no good.

I have never been a proponent of opening up. You can clear your hips by using a quicker stride, or just shifting your weight instead of striding on the inside pitch. Generate some better bat speed and allow that to help you clear through the hitting zone. As a pitcher, when you see a hitter flying open it you never throw something inside that they can cheat on. Uribe was flying open, on outside pitches which he has no chance to hit. Most guys who stand open, close off as part of their timing mechanism. Driving towards the pitching plate, and getting your bat around on the inside pitch is more timing than something you need to change in your mechanics.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 17, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
I hope for nothing more than Sox fans to apply tremendous pressure on management beginning this June. First order is the draft.

The Sox have 2 of the first 100 draft picks. This is not a draft to restock the farm or find an immediate impact guy.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 17, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
The Sox have 2 of the first 100 draft picks. This is not a draft to restock the farm or find an immediate impact guy.

You have to begin somewhere. I'd rather they adopt new evaluation techniques (rather than focusing on "athletes" or "safe" selections) now, give perhaps a year to judge the results, then go onwards from there.

I'm not expecting immediate production from anyone selected in June. Just prove to me, and anyone else critical of recent failures, that new measures are being adopted for evaluating players. Because whatever the White Sox have been using recently hasn't worked.