Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
Yep, it's called Rock Band. http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/rockban...=result;title;1

I heard it was $200, but still. That's damn near enough for an entire console.

so now talentless losers can think they can play better than professionals but in a group setting!

I'm pretty sure I read that verbatim on their marketing website, too.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
Full album downloads available and online play mean I'll buy Rock Band and probably a guitar. Hopefully one of my friends is willing to blow $80 on a plastic drum set.

Or for the same money you could buy a REAL guitar. :D

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Guitar Hero is prolly one of my favorite games ever.. I cant wait till the 3rd one comes out in a couple of months

Skip it and get Rock Band. You won't regret it and your money will be going to the right people in Harmonix.

I still think the wii is a fad and will soon fade. It's fun, I grant you that, but everyone I know who owns a wii is back to xbox or sony. It's a secondary system at this point with a schtick to catch people to buy it. But really the games look terrible graphically and it's only going to get worse.

I'm not a Nintendo hater either. I thought re 4 was pretty fun, as are mario party 8 and wario world. But thats me playing for an hour, not an entire night.

Who knows, I might be suprised.

But the Wii will be played by gamers and non-gamers. I'm not a "gamer", but I love my Wii system. I know my in-laws have fun with it also. I think it will survive due to it being more than a "gaming system". It will be the thing that when you have family over they will want to play, unlike an XBox and such. Once upon a time board games were HUGE family entertainment. The Wii is the board game for the new age.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
But the Wii will be played by gamers and non-gamers. I'm not a "gamer", but I love my Wii system. I know my in-laws have fun with it also. I think it will survive due to it being more than a "gaming system". It will be the thing that when you have family over they will want to play, unlike an XBox and such. Once upon a time board games were HUGE family entertainment. The Wii is the board game for the new age.

I agree, it won't die out because it has mass appeal. The problem is that many gamers can become instinctively prejudiced against a system that prides itself on its non and party games. It seems like Nintendo, the company that beat Sega and won our hearts, is giving up. Like they are selling out to the lowest common denominator: party games and can't-miss sequels to proven franchises.

I want to like Nintendo as much as I used to, but it's hard when it seems like they are focusing harder on broadening their base than pleasing the core gamers that made them the company they are today.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
I agree, it won't die out because it has mass appeal. The problem is that many gamers can become instinctively prejudiced against a system that prides itself on its non and party games. It seems like Nintendo, the company that beat Sega and won our hearts, is giving up. Like they are selling out to the lowest common denominator: party games and can't-miss sequels to proven franchises.

I want to like Nintendo as much as I used to, but it's hard when it seems like they are focusing harder on broadening their base than pleasing the core gamers that made them the company they are today.

I think Nintendo is looking at it like there is a whole new wave of gamers every year now, and its time to stop selling ONLY to the hardcore gamers and time to start drawing in different demographics. And I think the hardcore Nintendo gamers are looking for the games like Zelda:twilight Princess, Metroid 3 Corruption, and Super Mario Galaxy and those types of games, so nintendo looks like they are on the way to pleasing both newcomers and hardcore gamers.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
Skip it and get Rock Band. You won't regret it and your money will be going to the right people in Harmonix.

If I can get a PS3 or 360 by the time it comes out maybe I will just go for that instead.. you cant go wrong with 70 songs, plus you dont HAVE to play with all the instruments to play the game

Also looks like one of those everyone come over, get drunk, and have a s*** load of fun games

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Madden 2008 for the ps3 WILL be 60 fps, but NCAA will still be at 30 fps for the ps3. Good news.

I haven't heard this but huge save by Sony if this is true. PS3 needs all the system sellers it can get and Madden has always been one.

Great video here of one of my most anticipated games: Left 4 Dead. In short, it's 28 Days Later the game.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/left-4-dead-278432.php

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Just had to comment, it's hilarious that my PS3's wireless internet was 10x easier to set-up than my Linksys wireless home computers.

Gah, I'm so torn. I want a ps3, but I dont want it. I'm afraid if I get it all it's going to do is collect dust, like my Wii, until MGS4 comes out. I could wait a month and buy Madden on ps3 along with GTAIV, and basically play Ncaa08 and halo on 360 and madden and gtaiv on ps3. I'm not really sold on Haze yet so that doesn't really excite me.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Gah, I'm so torn. I want a ps3, but I dont want it. I'm afraid if I get it all it's going to do is collect dust, like my Wii, until MGS4 comes out. I could wait a month and buy Madden on ps3 along with GTAIV, and basically play Ncaa08 and halo on 360 and madden and gtaiv on ps3. I'm not really sold on Haze yet so that doesn't really excite me.

As someone who owns both a 360 and PS3, the 360 is the one collecting dust. Got both at the same time. 360 really doesn't excite me. In fact, if someone robbed me of it, I wouldn't even realize it until maybe years later.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
As someone who owns both a 360 and PS3, the 360 is the one collecting dust. Got both at the same time. 360 really doesn't excite me. In fact, if someone robbed me of it, I wouldn't even realize it until maybe years later.

If I got PS3 today, what's one game I would need to get? (Besides Resistance and Ninja Gaiden, I've heard those are both awesome). Also, I'd need to buy the HDTV AV cables right?

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)

I'm in the same boat as you Chimpy. I want it but at the same time I am torn and it's a tough choice. Also, $500 is a big investment for a gaming system.

Buying an Xbox 360 was one of the worst video game decisions I have made, Right up there with buying the Dreamcast at launch. What is worse is that I had a chance to trade someone straight up for a PS3 and turned it down. :crying I'm probably going to end up taking a 50% loss on what I paid for it when I sell it and I'll be stuck backward with a PS2. No hard feelings on being backward though, because even though I love playing, I don't have the time to do so.

NCAA 08 is great.

The new legend mode is absolutely fantastic. They improved on the race for the heisman mode in a huge way. You create a guy and take him through his HS playoffs, then try and work your way up the depth chart at whatever school you go to. You also only control your one guy. IE: if you're a qb and the coach calls a handoff, you just hike the ball and hand it off and don't control the runner. It's different, but I love it.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 17, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
NCAA 08 is great.

The new legend mode is absolutely fantastic. They improved on the race for the heisman mode in a huge way. You create a guy and take him through his HS playoffs, then try and work your way up the depth chart at whatever school you go to. You also only control your one guy. IE: if you're a qb and the coach calls a handoff, you just hike the ball and hand it off and don't control the runner. It's different, but I love it.

Yeah I agree the new legend mode is nice. It's cool to be able to skip to plays until you're involved. I played the entire HS playoff, killing everyone we played. My guy is a QB and had 4 and 5 star and I ended up getting scholarships to play anywhere I wanted, but only a few places would let me start right away.

Did you think the response for menus and play calling were slow? I heard that was a gripe from people before I got it and I understand what they're talking about. Still though, I've always enjoyed this series and look forward to the new recruiting system once I start up my dynasty.