MMA Thread

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 27, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Completely agree on everything. I enjoyed the event so damn much.

Seems to be what everyone has been saying, it's a great time to be a fan of MMA. Great fights, and even better build up to the fights.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
I think i'm more excited for Rampage's next fight than this one. Rampage vs. Henderson is going to be a very good fight and I guarantee Dan will be a very good match for Rampage. He isn't a 2 weight champion in Pride for no reason.

Rampage vs. Henderson in the UFC... if I would have told you that at the beginning of the year you thought I would have been nuts!!

It will be interesting to see what they do with PRIDE now, it seems UFC is just signing all their top fighters to UFC contracts, taking the "Superbowl of MMA" idea out of the picture.

Rumors had Shogun Rua being announced at 71, that didn't happen, but that would be another crazy sign to the 205. Wanderli Silva might take a year off, IMO there's still a ton of money in the Chuck vs. Wandy match, now they can sell it as a redemption match for both fighters.

I really hope Fedor signs with PRIDE/UFC, there was some talk he might sign exculsively with Bodog, which would be terrible, since his competition would be a joke.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Rampage vs. Henderson in the UFC... if I would have told you that at the beginning of the year you thought I would have been nuts!!

It will be interesting to see what they do with PRIDE now, it seems UFC is just signing all their top fighters to UFC contracts, taking the "Superbowl of MMA" idea out of the picture.

Rumors had Shogun Rua being announced at 71, that didn't happen, but that would be another crazy sign to the 205. Wanderli Silva might take a year off, IMO there's still a ton of money in the Chuck vs. Wandy match, now they can sell it as a redemption match for both fighters.

I really hope Fedor signs with PRIDE/UFC, there was some talk he might sign exculsively with Bodog, which would be terrible, since his competition would be a joke.

Agreed, it's been a crazy year so far.

I would love to see Shogun in the UFC. However, it will be interesting to see how Chute Boxe fighters handle not having soccer kicks/head stomps. I do think Shogun is a good enough fighter to overcome that though. It does seem like they are just trying to unify the titles with news that Henderson's Pride belt will also be on the line against Rampage.

I think soon enough we will see Fedor sign. He isn't an idiot and I am sure he will go where he can make the most money before he retires. He is a big name in MMA circles and a top fighter in the world. It would be a shame to see him go fight to such weak competition for the rest of his career.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 27, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
Las Vegas would. Liddell was a favorite to win the fight. He was -140 or something.

-140 isnt a big favorite for a fight. but I think he went off at around -200.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
I believe last I saw was he was -140 and Rampage was +200. Either way he was favored.

I think MMA is one of the hardest things to put any considerable odds on. Any fighter can be beaten at any time.

Just look at the upsets already this year:

Gonzaga over Cro Cop

Serra over St Pierre

Dan Henderson KO of Silva

Couture over Sylvia (arguably)

The list goes on. There is no sure thing in MMA. Guys develop new attacks, new skills and new fight approaches every fight. The amount of adaptation in the sport is unreal. I think most MMA fans who are not just "UFC" fans knew that Rampage had a very good shot at taking Liddell out.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 29, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
I think MMA is one of the hardest things to put any considerable odds on. Any fighter can be beaten at any time.

Just look at the upsets already this year:

Gonzaga over Cro Cop

Serra over St Pierre

Dan Henderson KO of Silva

Couture over Sylvia (arguably)

The list goes on. There is no sure thing in MMA. Guys develop new attacks, new skills and new fight approaches every fight. The amount of adaptation in the sport is unreal. I think most MMA fans who are not just "UFC" fans knew that Rampage had a very good shot at taking Liddell out.

Tell me about it. Its hard to bet on something where a guy can dominate for three rounds and lose because of one punch or kick. I think the Gonzaga over Crocop was the biggest upset so far this year.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Tell me about it. Its hard to bet on something where a guy can dominate for three rounds and lose because of one punch or kick. I think the Gonzaga over Crocop was the biggest upset so far this year.

That and GSP losing to craptastic Serra.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)

I tend agree about the CroCop loss. However, I think Nick Diaz beating Gomi at the last PRIDE show in Vegas is an underated upset (Although Diaz got that win pulled because he tested positive for marijuana, still in the fight itself it was quite an upset.)

Upsets will happen in MMA a lot more than boxing because of the different things people can do to improve. Look at the CroCop/Gonzaga loss. It looks to me CroCop saw the kick coming, and was actually dropping it from his head to protect a lower kick. To me, CroCop just never saw Gonzaga kick that high and was caught offguard by it. Good job by Gonzaga to evolve his game.

Just a general MMA note, Saturday night, K-1 is running a show in L.A. and will be on PPV. Former WWE wrestler Brock Lesnar will headline.

The match of note to me is a rematch of Sakuraba "the Gracie Hunter" and Royce Gracie. There first match went something like 90 minutes with Sakuraba winning. Many people point to that as the turning of MMA from Gracie Jiu Jitsu ground dominating to the more overall game of today. I'm a pretty big MMA fan, but not sure if I'll get this.

p.s. If you want to see a fun/crazy MMA fight youtube takayama vs frye

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Here is another Youtube classic. Rampage buying a jock in japan. He tells everyone he has a big dick, and the jocks they have are too small.

Haha, what happened to your chops. That's great.

So what do people here think of Lesnar's chances in his first K-1 fight? I know he has a very solid college wrestling background. I'm interested to see what others think he will do.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 31, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Haha, what happened to your chops. That's great.

So what do people here think of Lesnar's chances in his first K-1 fight? I know he has a very solid college wrestling background. I'm interested to see what others think he will do.

He will need to work on his submissions. Wrestling helps with take downs and ground control. However watching great wrestlers like Kostchek look lost after they mount, is what I would worry here. He really needs to know how to get into position to strike or he will need to be able to submit and defend against submissions. Plenty of wrestlers look great on the take downs, but cant do anything once they get control. I dont think he can go toe to toe striking yet. He is strong but it takes time to get that part going.

Having Gracie as your trainer cant hurt on the submissions.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 31, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
He will need to work on his submissions. Wrestling helps with take downs and ground control. However watching great wrestlers like Kostchek look lost after they mount, is what I would worry here. He really needs to know how to get into position to strike or he will need to be able to submit and defend against submissions. Plenty of wrestlers look great on the take downs, but cant do anything once they get control. I dont think he can go toe to toe striking yet. He is strong but it takes time to get that part going.

Having Gracie as your trainer cant hurt on the submissions.

From what I understand that was more publicity than reality. I heard he trained with Militech for awhile and the Showtime show hyping the PPV mentioned two others that slipped my mind.

Lesnar is a freak athlete, I'm interested to see how he does. If he gets against a good striker he may be in trouble

QUOTE(zenryan @ May 31, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
my mistake.

Rampage was going off at +200. Midday Saturday he was around +160.

I think it was only an upset to those who only follow the UFC.

I saw it as a coin flip or a slight edge to Chuck. Yes, Jackson dominated him in the first fight, but since then Chuck was undefeated, and I guess people will question the competition, but I think Randy's title win justified those 2 victories a lot. Jackson lost twice to Wanderli (granted one of those was the same night he beat chuck), lost to Shogun Rua, won a split with Ninja Rua, and his wins against Lindland and Eastmen were nothing spectacular. I was in no means shocked, I think Rampage is a bad matchup for Chuck, and he proved it again.

The rumors are really flying that they will sign the Chuck vs. Wandy fight. That should be an awesome fight, both those guys really need that win.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ultimate Fighter Finale is on Saturday at 8:00 pm CT on Spike. Main events are the tournament final and a rematch of Penn vs. Pulver. It's free (yes, I know, cable is not free, but it's on basic cable, not PPV). It should be really good, both Penn and Pulver need a win.

Friday night is Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni on Showtime PPV. This is a hyped fight, these guys really don't like each other. (Check out the preview show on Showtime, it's hysterical)

UFC has some great cards coming up for their PPVs, July 7th is Ortiz vs. Evans, the Debut of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (sp?) vs. Heath Herring, Sean Sherk vs. Franca for the 155lb belt and headlined by the 185lb championship fight of Anderson Silva vs. Marquardt.

and the Aug and Sep ppvs are setting up to be sick as well, here's a link to rumors of the upcoming cards.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/rumors.asp

Finally, a Russian website is reporting that Fedor and the UFC have reached a verbal agreement, so hopefully, IMO, the #1 fighter in the world will soon be in UFC

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Couture/Gonzaga in August and Henderson/Rampage in September really has me pumped for the next few UFC shows.

Yeah, CCs comeback is scheduled for that September card as well. I'm going to be in Vegas in the Sept one, but it's in England, so it should start 12:00 p.m. Vegas time, that will be sweet.

There's also a rumor that Mach Sakuri is going to fight Sanchez (I think on the Aug. card), that will be a solid fight as well