MMA Thread

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
I read in the paper today that the laws permitting UFC in Illinois flew through the state Congress, and Helmet Hair is expected to sign off on them, so UFC could put on a card in Chicago by December or January.

I'd be there.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I agree, but him trying to deny being knocked out was quite funny.

it was like the Matt Hughes/Carlos Newton finish. Newton had him in a choke while Hughes had him in the air, Hughes basically passed out, when he fell it knocked Carlos Newton out. that's a great finish to a fight.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Couture/Gonzaga in August and Henderson/Rampage in September really has me pumped for the next few UFC shows.

Im really looking forward to the Hollywood/Rampage match up. I think Henderson is gonna pull it out. I do love me some Rampage quotes though, that guy is hilarious.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
Im really looking forward to the Hollywood/Rampage match up. I think Henderson is gonna pull it out. I do love me some Rampage quotes though, that guy is hilarious.

I take it you've seen the video of Rampage in the Japanese department store as well?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 12:51 AM)
Anybody here catch the PPV?

SPOILERS BELOW!!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE OUTCOMES OF THE FIGHTS

Yeah, I watched it, it was a very good PPV. The Big Nog/Herring match was crazy. Herring had him all but finished with a left high kick late in the 1st and didn't finish him. Nog recovered for the victory.

Sherk looked like an animal and basically dominated his fight. He had a few scary moments with knees and choke attempts, but he controlled most of the time.

Evans/Ortiz ended in a draw. Ortiz had a point taken away in the 2nd for a fence grab that prevented an takedown.

Silva dominated Marquardt. TKO in the first. Unless Rich Franklin has improved a ton he will get ripped apart in the rematch

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
SPOILERS BELOW!!! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE OUTCOMES OF THE FIGHTS

Yeah, I watched it, it was a very good PPV. The Big Nog/Herring match was crazy. Herring had him all but finished with a left high kick late in the 1st and didn't finish him. Nog recovered for the victory.

Sherk looked like an animal and basically dominated his fight. He had a few scary moments with knees and choke attempts, but he controlled most of the time.

Evans/Ortiz ended in a draw. Ortiz had a point taken away in the 2nd for a fence grab that prevented an takedown.

Silva dominated Marquardt. TKO in the first. Unless Rich Franklin has improved a ton he will get ripped apart in the rematch

I thought the PPV was kinda disapointing. Herring should of had that fight won. Sherk did look like an animal in there, but I still wonder if he can actually finish a fight. Evans seemed to fight as if he was scared to get taken down by Tito. A damn shame he lost that due to trying to grab the cage. Silva owned. I don't know anyone who's gonna take the title away from him. It's gonna have to be someone that can match his reach and outdo him on the ground.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:00 AM)
I thought the PPV was kinda disapointing. Herring should of had that fight won. Sherk did look like an animal in there, but I still wonder if he can actually finish a fight. Evans seemed to fight as if he was scared to get taken down by Tito. A damn shame he lost that due to trying to grab the cage. Silva owned. I don't know anyone who's gonna take the title away from him. It's gonna have to be someone that can match his reach and outdo him on the ground.

It depends what they do with Dan Henderson after the Rampage fight. He also holds the PRIDE 183 belt, so if he loses the Rampage fight and put him in the 185 class, I could see that as a good fight

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 02:02 AM)
So Sherk & Franca both tested positive for steroids. Idiots.

The best thing was the Inside the UFC Special on him before the fight when they talked up how Sherk was such a workout warrior and all natural. Waive bye bye to your title Mr. Natural.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
The best thing was the Inside the UFC Special on him before the fight when they talked up how Sherk was such a workout warrior and all natural. Waive bye bye to your title Mr. Natural.

I'm hoping once they strip him of the title that they do a one night tournament.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
I'm hoping once they strip him of the title that they do a one night tournament.

I'm pretty sure those can't be sanctioned in the US, and Dana White has stated in the past he doesn't like them. If that's the case, have 2 elemination matches in October and have the title fight in January.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
anybody grabbing the PPV tonight?

i'm still trying to decide

I am, but I buy all the UFC's. :ph34r:

Gotta see Randy, the heat in the building will be unreal for that fight.

I also wanna see if GSP can bounce back tonight.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)
I am, but I buy all the UFC's. :ph34r:

Gotta see Randy, the heat in the building will be unreal for that fight.

I also wanna see if GSP can bounce back tonight.

Who all saw the fights? I was very pleased with the result of the main event.

Randy is awesome. Not a whole lot more to say about him at this point. I wonder who'll they'll have him face next. I wouldn't be upset if Cro Cop beats Kongo, you give him the shot. The GG upset was stunning, but I think Cro Cops record should allow for that to be slightly overlooked.

Maybe they'll give Nogueira a fight soon then have him fight Randy.

I saw that Dana White is talking with Fedor's people on Thursday. I would, Dana would and the whole MMA world would LOVE a Fedor/Randy fight. I guess the main sticking issues are Fedor wanting to fight in Sambo competitions and bring some of his teammates to the UFC with him. Supposedly money is not the issue and UFC has made the biggest $$ offer (that is gathered from different reports from Meltzer, who's usually on with his stuff).