MMA Thread

Quick reminder for everyone that UFC 75 is on Spike TV Saturday night on a tape delay from England.

It is a really solid card headlined by Rampage vs. Henderson (UFC 205 champ vs. Pride 205 champ), big comeback match for Cro Cop vs. Kongo. It's "free" (it's on basic cable, so past the normal subscription rate it's free).

A few things. I am going to be rooting for Hollywood Henderson on Saturday. I think Rampage will beat him, but I have always loved the former Olympian.

Concerning Fedor Emelianenko.. there is not too many places he could fight. He fought Matt Lindland in Bodog, so I'd never rule them out. Fedor wants to fight in Sambo compeitions too from all the rumors. UFC does not allow other competitions really (ex: UFC guys grappling in the ADCC). Fedor likes one fight contracts too, which is why he was always at odds with DSE. He also doesn't fight for the hell of it, he fights cause it's his job. While I hope he comes to the UFC, I really can't see Zuffa and Dana White wanting Fedor to be champ over the American hero Randy Couture. IMHO he is one guy we won't see in the UFC anytime soon, I hope I'm wrong. He's said to be attending this weekend. I just don't know if I see it. Now I'm just babbling too haha.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
Today is the day...

My prediction:

Hendo by unanimous decision.

Whoops.

---------------------------

I was pretty pissed about the Bisping decision, too. After the fight, Bisbing had the "I lost" body language while Hamill's trainer/friend was carrying him around the ring. I was pretty stunned with the split decision to Bisping.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
Whoops.

very unhappy with the UFC tonight. I think Henderson was right there with Jackson, and felt the match could go either way... but the judges score cards were ridiculous. But what do you expect... UFC can't have the "UFC Guy" lose to the "Pride Guy"

but BY FAR the worst outcome in a long time was the golden boy Bisping being given the fight.

I like Bisping... but everyone in the building knew he lost that fight. Dana White (or maybe I should call him Don King) better have the rematch already signed up.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
very unhappy with the UFC tonight. I think Henderson was right there with Jackson, and felt the match could go either way... but the judges score cards were ridiculous. But what do you expect... UFC can't have the "UFC Guy" lose to the "Pride Guy"

but BY FAR the worst outcome in a long time was the golden boy Bisping being given the fight.

I like Bisping... but everyone in the building knew he lost that fight. Dana White (or maybe I should call him Don King) better have the rematch already signed up.

I missed the show last night, but I've seen many angry posts online about the Bisping decision.

One of the first reasons I got into the UFC (besides the interesting mixture of fight styles, of course) was the idea that the better guy that night wins. If they start throwing boxing-style decisions at me, that's gonna dampen my interest level pretty quickly.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Yeah, Bisping was clearly handed that match. Everyone I was watching it with was surprised and pissed that he someone got 2/3 of the judges' decisions. And to make things worse, he talked s*** in the post-match interview. Hamill was gracious about the "loss," which was a classy move.

Hamill deserved to lose. How many more times must this idiot try to stand up and strike with clearly superior punchers. Hey Matt, take a clue, you are a wrestler, take the other fighter down to the ground. This is the same s*** he did in the Ultimate Fighter. He is too headstrong to be a true champion in MMA.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
Hamill deserved to lose. How many more times must this idiot try to stand up and strike with clearly superior punchers. Hey Matt, take a clue, you are a wrestler, take the other fighter down to the ground. This is the same s*** he did in the Ultimate Fighter. He is too headstrong to be a true champion in MMA.

Please tell me what Bisping did to win the fight.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Please tell me what Bisping did to win the fight.

Neither one of them did much, but through the fight, Bisbing was clearly the more active and accurate striker. Hamill eats more punches than many people you will see fight in the UFC. The guy clearly does not belong on his feet. I think the pure amount of strikes he took throughout the later stages of the fight swayed the judges.

Hamill is the better fighter, but when will he figure out that he cannot rely on his stand up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Neither one of them did much, but through the fight, Bisbing was clearly the more active and accurate striker. Hamill eats more punches than many people you will see fight in the UFC. The guy clearly does not belong on his feet. I think the pure amount of strikes he took throughout the later stages of the fight swayed the judges.

Hamill is the better fighter, but when will he figure out that he cannot rely on his stand up.

Just about all the punches Hamill took were all to his arms -- Bisping had very few shots on Hamill's head.

And Hamill let Bisping up at least twice during the fight. He wanted to dominate Bisping at his own game. I don't know how you could score the fight when the two were on their feet in Bisping's favor -- he was on his heels after the first part of the first round. Combine that with the few takedowns that Hamill did have and I don't know how you could honestly say Bisping won that fight.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Just about all the punches Hamill took were all to his arms -- Bisping had very few shots on Hamill's head.

And Hamill let Bisping up at least twice during the fight. He wanted to dominate Bisping at his own game. I don't know how you could score the fight when the two were on their feet in Bisping's favor -- he was on his heels after the first part of the first round. Combine that with the few takedowns that Hamill did have and I don't know how you could honestly say Bisping won that fight.

Dude, you have got to watch that fight again. He was swallowing punches with his face. He blocked many of them, but also showed that his stand up is not as good as Bisping. Now with that said, Bisping did nothing IMO to win that fight, he just didnt lose it clearly enough to sway the judges that were clearly making a decision based on the last 2 rounds and also on the fact that the UFC wants to make a new market in the UK.

It was a shoddy decision, but not the worst I have seen. Either way Hamill needs to remember what he does well, and needs to approach a fight that way. Until he can do that, he will be an also-ran in MMA.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
It was a shoddy decision, but not the worst I have seen.

I was going to say -- at least you're conceding this. If I found something online I certainly would watch the fight online. But after one watch, it looked pretty clear that Hamill had that fight. He controlled it. He dictated whether the fight was on the ground or on their feet -- he let Bisping up a couple of times.

Not trying to be a dick here, but my one good buddy who really knows a lot about UFC had the same thoughts I did about the fight -- you're really one of the few I've seen try and put up an argument that Bisping deserved the decision.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
I was going to say -- at least you're conceding this. If I found something online I certainly would watch the fight online. But after one watch, it looked pretty clear that Hamill had that fight. He controlled it. He dictated whether the fight was on the ground or on their feet -- he let Bisping up a couple of times.

Not trying to be a dick here, but my one good buddy who really knows a lot about UFC had the same thoughts I did about the fight -- you're really one of the few I've seen try and put up an argument that Bisping deserved the decision.

Whoa. I did not say Bisping deserved the decision, I said Hamill deserved to lose. He was on Bispings home turf with a very obvious push for the UFC to become bigger in the UK. He had to go out and completely dominate that fight, which he could have done if he took him to the ground and either pounded him out or submitted him. When he decided to stand up he put himself at great risk of losing a decision, which he did.

• 2 weeks later...

UFC this Saturday could be interesting. See how Liddell bounces back against someone he should clearly dominate. Shogun's debut should be a good one, Forrest is a scrapper, but in a lot of people's opinion Shogun is the top 205 in the world.

The Machida/Nakamura match could be good too. Machida is kind of an internet legend due to some of the people he has beat... http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfi...?FighterID=7513 . Nak is a solid vet who should give him a fight http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfi...?FighterID=6943

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Iceman should win easily, who he faces next is the question. I also hope to see Rua dominate Forrest, mainly because I don't care for him.

well, they're billing Wand Silva for the December card, I guess if Chuck rips through Keith he would be able to fight him that night.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Iceman should win easily, who he faces next is the question. I also hope to see Rua dominate Forrest, mainly because I don't care for him.

Griffin submitted Shogun in the 3rd round. Rear Naked Choke

Jardine defeats the Iceman split decision. Jardine with a very strong finish.

Edited by southsideirish71