MMA Thread

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
So I thoroughly enjoyed UFC 80. Whether it was Penn making Stevenson bleed like a faucet, or Gonzaga losing another one. Maybe the fact that it was all knockouts. I'm hoping Penn runs through Sherk in their matchup.

I enjoyed it too. No classic fights, but KOs galore and the the Penn/Stevenson blood bath was something to see.

Really looking forward to see what Lesnar can do against Mir, Mir is potentially a top tier fighter (was once HW champ, had a horrific motorcycle accident, see if he can completely bounce back). The Big Nog/Sylvia fight is something I'm also anxious to see

Edited by SoxFan562004

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2008/01/22/an...or-emelianenko/

at the bottom of the interview says Fedor will fight next in Chicago for M-1's first U.S. show. I've been hearing some rumors about this, including his brother is going to fight Josh Barnett. Would be interested to see where this is, would definitely go if tickets were somewhat reasonable

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)
How do true UFC fans feel about Lesnar? Im just curious if they think he is going to be the real thing, or if he is just a big talker and wont be nearly as great as he tells everyone

I think him fighting Frank Mir should show everyone exactly where he is. But even after that fight i wouldn't be ready to crown him the greatest thing ever.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
I think him fighting Frank Mir should show everyone exactly where he is. But even after that fight i wouldn't be ready to crown him the greatest thing ever.

Whenever I think of Lesnar I think of him breaking Kurt Angles neck and then almost breaking his own in the same match.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)
How do true UFC fans feel about Lesnar? Im just curious if they think he is going to be the real thing, or if he is just a big talker and wont be nearly as great as he tells everyone

With his NCAA record I take him seriously. It's a unique situation. Ideally a fighter like this should fight at smaller shows and build up, but the $$ is there with Lesnar. Mir is a tough fight, I am extremely interested to see how that plays out.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
To be fair to Lesnar, he had Mir in some trouble, and he was landing a bunch of shots while Mir was not really "intelligently defending himself". I've seen fights stopped before in a similar situation.

That was a hell of a countermove by Mir to get the kneebar.

From what I read on Foxsports, Lesnar screwed himself over when he had Mir down because he landed a punch to the back of Mir's head, which stopped the fight and allowed Mir to gather himself.

Still though, I expected Lesnar to do better

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
From what I read on Foxsports, Lesnar screwed himself over when he had Mir down because he landed a punch to the back of Mir's head, which stopped the fight and allowed Mir to gather himself.

Still though, I expected Lesnar to do better

After the first taking down Lesnar got a warning and then a timeout and deduction from the ref. It was hard to catch the warning and some people have been b****ing, but the dvr confirmed he received it after the first glancing blow.... which he quickly followed with another direct shot.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
From what I read on Foxsports, Lesnar screwed himself over when he had Mir down because he landed a punch to the back of Mir's head, which stopped the fight and allowed Mir to gather himself.Still though, I expected Lesnar to do better

The two main event fights were very entertaining. Always fun to see a few fights end with a nice sub instead of a KO. Mir was in some trouble. However, Brock was just brawling and didn't show very good ground control. I think a lot of people predicted a word class BJJ fighter like Mir could exploit a relatively young MMA fighter.

Brock put up a good showing for a guy in his 2nd ever fight. Mir was a tough draw for him, but now you got Mir coming off a huge win set to challenge for the title.

Lesnar will be back in a huge way, this guy is big money. This show is going to do atleast 600,000 buys on PPV, he has some much heat. I don't think we'll see him fight again, till June. He needs to work with guys like Dean Lister, and BJ Penn on how to train for submissions. He does that, and he'll be a monster.

I am far from a UFC die hard, but while it was nice move by Mir to get the leg hold, I would almost call it a fluke win. Brock did look good for the most part. Granted it was only 90 secs.

Did the ref ask Mir if Lesnar hit him in the back of the head? WTF? If the ref didn't see it himself, don't stop it.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I am far from a UFC die hard, but while it was nice move by Mir to get the leg hold, I would almost call it a fluke win. Brock did look good for the most part. Granted it was only 90 secs.

Did the ref ask Mir if Lesnar hit him in the back of the head? WTF? If the ref didn't see it himself, don't stop it.

It really isn't a fluke at all. Brock had some good standup and some good ground and pound going because he is such a strong guy. However, Mir is a world class heavyweight Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter. The stand up and trading punches is not his game. He wanted the fight on the ground. The ref stopped them and stood them up because Brock was already warned once for a hit to the back of the head and did it again. At this point in his career Brock is more of a brawler than a mixed martial artist. He has a lot of potential and could be good if he trains his subs and sub defense a lot more. However, he got caught in a pretty basic sub move and could have easily gotten out of it with a simple push of his free leg on Mir's back if he was better trained.

The same thing in the Nog/Sylvia fight. Nog was getting knocked around and having a tough time with Tim's reach. However, what has made Nog's rep as a great fighter is his excellent ground game and submission.

Both Mir and Nog were looking for the right moment to make a move for a submission and they both got it.