MMA Thread

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
I am looking forward to the fights this weekend. I'm travelling to Madison with some buddies. We're going to drink, make bets, and watch people beat the souls out of each other.

Jon Jones is easy money, pay off your house.

Jones fought once in the last two and a half years and wasn't anywhere near dominant in his only fight. I think this will be a tough fight for him.

And it's not easy money of the fight might not happen!

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
Jones fought once in the last two and a half years and wasn't anywhere near dominant in his only fight. I think this will be a tough fight for him.

And it's not easy money of the fight might not happen!

Sounds like you want to make a bet with me?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
Even money I take Jones of course but I'm not nearly as confident as some. As someone else said, Jone has had one fight in the last 2.5 years and he looked like s*** against OSP. If DC is right that Jones is a steroid guy maybe there is something in this fight. Regardless, it's easier to root for the good guy D.C. over the scumbag Jon Jones.

Dude I agree Jones is a bum but DC to me is a fake good guy. Watching all of his interviews or promos about Jones he constantly uses Jones' misfortunes and demons to make himself look like a bigger person. Making a scene at the end and won't even let big John hold his hand is just poor sports.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
Dude I agree Jones is a bum but DC to me is a fake good guy. Watching all of his interviews or promos about Jones he constantly uses Jones' misfortunes and demons to make himself look like a bigger person. Making a scene at the end and won't even let big John hold his hand is just poor sports.

You can't blame DC for that imo. Jones cost that dude a ton of money when they were originally supposed to have their first 2nd fight. And Jones was the ultimate fake good guy for the longest time until he got caught being an ass. In the end, it doesn't matter as Jones is just the better fighter. Dude is only 30 and might be in the GOAT discussion already.

Also, I know this is just me falling for the big name vs big name thing but count me in for Jones-Brock. Two guys I despise bashing each others faces in works for me.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
You can't blame DC for that imo. Jones cost that dude a ton of money when they were originally supposed to have their first 2nd fight. And Jones was the ultimate fake good guy for the longest time until he got caught being an ass. In the end, it doesn't matter as Jones is just the better fighter. Dude is only 30 and might be in the GOAT discussion already.

I don't blame him If he walked off without a post fight interview after just getting knocked out. But it's pretty much a tradition in the sport to stand in and let the ref and Buffer announce the decision. I understand he's emotional over the fight but if he was a model champion like he said he is, he would have shown better sport in defeat. As much as I despised Connor early on, he's truly humble in defeat and that's quality you can root for.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
I don't blame him If he walked off without a post fight interview after just getting knocked out. But it's pretty much a tradition in the sport to stand in and let the ref and Buffer announce the decision. I understand he's emotional over the fight but if he was a model champion like he said he is, he would have shown better sport in defeat. As much as I despised Connor early on, he's truly humble in defeat and that's quality you can root for.

Sorry, I meant the pre-fight stuff.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:40 AM)
Sorry, I meant the pre-fight stuff.

I got you. That could be he basis for some of his antics. He sells himself as a family man, proud father of three, model champion yaddy yaddy yada, but he talks like a 23 year old trying to be cool. Also putting his hand on Jones neck at one of weight ins early in their feud was also uncalled for. So yea, maybe it's just me, but I never bought DC as a true good guy. The fact that Jones is a heel and a bum may make Cormier seem like a better person to some.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)

Also, I know this is just me falling for the big name vs big name thing but count me in for Jones-Brock. Two guys I despise bashing each others faces in works for me.

When you assess this type of value to athletes, it's your fault. It's been the same forever. Athletes aren't heroes. There are no good guys and bad guys. Jon Jones like white chicks and cocaine. Daniel Cormier likes white chicks and chicken. Who cares?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
And Jones likes to drive under the influence, crash into pregnant women and leave the scene.

One guy has broken the law a few times and one hasn't.

The point is, who cares? I don't watch Jon Jones fight because I think he may, or may not be, a decent human being. Most of these guys are idiot jocks, not role models.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
The point is, who cares? I don't watch Jon Jones fight because I think he may, or may not be, a decent human being. Most of these guys are idiot jocks, not role models.

Ok thanks for telling me how to enjoy my sports.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
If you need "cowboys and indians" to enjoy something, more power to you.

It's hilarious that you think people aren't allowed to like or dislike athletes because of something they do outside of their sport.

It's crazy the two best LHW fighters in history, by a large margin, are competing at the same exact time. I wouldn't mind seeing DC move back to heavyweight and make a run there.

Besides a Jones vs Rumble fight, there's nothing in the LHW division that moves the needle. A rematch with Gustafsson has lost some of its excitement but after those two, what's left in the division?

I would like to see Jones move up too but I don't think he really wants that unless it involves mega money and only Lesnar can generate that.

The UFC better make sure McGregor comes back after this Mayweather circus. Who is the face of the UFC if he doesn't come back? You can tell they're desperate by booking the GSP/Bisping fight. Does anyone truly care about this matchup? A WW champ who hasn't fought in years vs a MW who has only defended his belt against a middle aged fighter who was retiring and still got beat up. Are they trying to protect Bisping to keep the U.K. train rolling?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
It's crazy the two best LHW fighters in history, by a large margin, are competing at the same exact time. I wouldn't mind seeing DC move back to heavyweight and make a run there.

Besides a Jones vs Rumble fight, there's nothing in the LHW division that moves the needle. A rematch with Gustafsson has lost some of its excitement but after those two, what's left in the division?

I would like to see Jones move up too but I don't think he really wants that unless it involves mega money and only Lesnar can generate that.

The UFC better make sure McGregor comes back after this Mayweather circus. Who is the face of the UFC if he doesn't come back? You can tell they're desperate by booking the GSP/Bisping fight. Does anyone truly care about this matchup? A WW champ who hasn't fought in years vs a MW who has only defended his belt against a middle aged fighter who was retiring and still got beat up. Are they trying to protect Bisping to keep the U.K. train rolling?

There's not much in the LHW division. There's not any newcomers except for Volkam and he's barely got 3 wins. Gus rematch is going to happen. I'd like to see that one still. Cain vs Jones would be interesting as they can play the "revenge" card with Cain being DCs teammate. I'll watch any fight with Jones though. He's very fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...