MMA Thread

Hopefully you didnt miss tonights WEC fights.

The two co-title fights were probably some of the best action I have seen in a while.

Youshiro Maeda vs. Miguel Torres

This was a war. These guys dont like each other, and it was pretty even with Torres showing some good standup. Torres kept throwing a stiff jab, and finally Herb Dean stopped it as Maeda's eye completely shut. When they tried to flush it out at ringside, he started to yell. Hopefully he is okay.

Faber versus Pulver

Faber has been rolling through his division. Get the guy to the ground, and wreck him. Thats his MO. Pulver, its about his left hook and beating him. Now in Pulvers last fight he showed some ground game, submitting swanson. The shock to all was when Faber pulled out a strong standup. He dominated this fight, putting Pulver on the ground once with a right to the jaw. It went all 5 and it was a war. Pulver raised Fabers hand at the end, and Faber went up to him and said, "that was f***ing awesome"

That was some great entertainment. And it finally shuts up the Faber critics who think he hasn't fought anyone. He beat Curran and now Pulver.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Hopefully you didnt miss tonights WEC fights.

The two co-title fights were probably some of the best action I have seen in a while.

Youshiro Maeda vs. Miguel Torres

This was a war. These guys dont like each other, and it was pretty even with Torres showing some good standup. Torres kept throwing a stiff jab, and finally Herb Dean stopped it as Maeda's eye completely shut. When they tried to flush it out at ringside, he started to yell. Hopefully he is okay.

Faber versus Pulver

Faber has been rolling through his division. Get the guy to the ground, and wreck him. Thats his MO. Pulver, its about his left hook and beating him. Now in Pulvers last fight he showed some ground game, submitting swanson. The shock to all was when Faber pulled out a strong standup. He dominated this fight, putting Pulver on the ground once with a right to the jaw. It went all 5 and it was a war. Pulver raised Fabers hand at the end, and Faber went up to him and said, "that was f***ing awesome"

That was some great entertainment. And it finally shuts up the Faber critics who think he hasn't fought anyone. He beat Curran and now Pulver.

This was a very entertaining card tonight, blew the EliteXC debacle out of the water. I hope Gary Shaw was watching as to how a real organization puts on a free show.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Concious? Yes. Coherent? Debatable.

He took a couple of really good shots at the end there, he looked like he was more than a little bit loopy. He even pushed the refs face away when he was being restrained, he didnt look like he knew where he was for a second

He didnt know what was going on at all. You could see it in his face, and like you said he hit the ref in the face. Kimbo, not being the most polished competitor, was throwing some punches that if he landed on a guy in a daze like he was, really could have hurt him. That fight was over. According to yahoo today it was fixed though.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
He didnt know what was going on at all. You could see it in his face, and like you said he hit the ref in the face. Kimbo, not being the most polished competitor, was throwing some punches that if he landed on a guy in a daze like he was, really could have hurt him. That fight was over. According to yahoo today it was fixed though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aned...o&type=lgns

Good read

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)

I just didnt like this part :

4. When the fight was called, Colossus, the loser, tried to fight the ref for unfairly ending it. Kimbo, the winner, collapsed in exhaustion as many in the once pro-Kimbo crowd in Newark, N.J., turned on their guy. Not exactly a victory lap.

Trying to make it sound like Kimbo was too tired to continue and Colossus tried to fight the ref for unfairly ending it.

If Kimbo runs up against someone who is solid with the ground attack...like wrestling or Jiu Jitsu he will be destroyed. When Colossus had him on the ground you could see Kimbo had no idea how to use his hips to escape.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
I just didnt like this part :

Trying to make it sound like Kimbo was too tired to continue and Colossus tried to fight the ref for unfairly ending it.

I dont understand what you didnt like, thats exactly what happened

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)

I dont think that the reason he took a shot at the ref was because he was mad he stopped the fight, I think it was because he didnt know what was going on. If you look at the clip of the end of the fight you can see Kimbo landed enough shots where he was dazed. The look on his face when the ref grabbed him said it all.

I do think the fight was a joke in the sense of Elite XC trying to find a guy Kimbo would smoke but I dont think there is any doubt Kimbo won the fight or that it was stopped prematurely. Colossus was done and if they would have let the fight continue that guy would have gotten hurt.

If Colossus did in fact hit the ref in the face because he was pissed and not confused I would think he would be in a hell of a lot of trouble. You cant go and hit a ref in the face because you disagree with a decisison.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)

Agreed.

Also, I think people are making a bit too much of the 'hitting the ref' thing. He was frustrated, it was an immediate reaction, and it was more like a disdainful push than a punch. I'm not saying it's okay to do that sort of thing, but I don't think he was thinking of hurting the ref.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Agreed.

Also, I think people are making a bit too much of the 'hitting the ref' thing. He was frustrated, it was an immediate reaction, and it was more like a disdainful push than a punch. I'm not saying it's okay to do that sort of thing, but I don't think he was thinking of hurting the ref.

definitely not a punch, it was an open fingered "push the face away" type deal. There was no swinging involved, Thompson was still trying to get his bearings when it happened

And to Drunkbomber, I agree with the "Colossus fighting the ref" comment, but I definitely think that Kimbo was just about done when they stopped the fight.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
definitely not a punch, it was an open fingered "push the face away" type deal. There was no swinging involved, Thompson was still trying to get his bearings when it happened

And to Drunkbomber, I agree with the "Colossus fighting the ref" comment, but I definitely think that Kimbo was just about done when they stopped the fight.

I dont disagree with that at all. I know Kimbo was exhausted, but I think he did enough to end the fight and I think Colossus had no idea what was going on when the fight was stopped. You can see it in his face.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
I dont disagree with that at all. I know Kimbo was exhausted, but I think he did enough to end the fight and I think Colossus had no idea what was going on when the fight was stopped. You can see it in his face.

Imo, he knew exactly what was going on, he was just flabbergasted at the stoppage. His eyes followed the refs hands (the signal that the fight was over), his eyes then snapped back to the refs face and he looks incredulous. The ref was saying something, probably that the fight was over, then he flailed out at him.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Imo, he knew exactly what was going on, he was just flabbergasted at the stoppage. His eyes followed the refs hands (the signal that the fight was over), his eyes then snapped back to the refs face and he looks incredulous. The ref was saying something, probably that the fight was over, then he flailed out at him.

I can see that I guess but I doubt we will never really know. Theres no way the guy is ever going to admit he was dazed but at the same time a few seconds before the fight was stopped he looked like he was lost.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
I can see that I guess but I doubt we will never really know. Theres no way the guy is ever going to admit he was dazed but at the same time a few seconds before the fight was stopped he looked like he was lost.

That's true, but he looked that way a couple times earlier in the fight, too, and each time he would avoid a punch and then put Kimbo on the mat. I'm thinking he was looking to do that again, and had a decent chance of succeeding. But it's all guesswork at this point.

Id like to see Brett Rogers get his shot at Kimbo but I doubt that will happen. They actually might go deeper in the barrel to find a bigger bum for Kimbo to fight. Theyre gonna have to be very careful picking his opponents in his upcoming fights.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
Id like to see Brett Rogers get his shot at Kimbo but I doubt that will happen. They actually might go deeper in the barrel to find a bigger bum for Kimbo to fight. Theyre gonna have to be very careful picking his opponents in his upcoming fights.

By the way EliteXC likes to do things I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they book a Rogers/Kimbo fight. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them find another bum for Kimbo.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id...9f-0546c2b52336

Here is the last round of Kimbo vs Colossus. Decide for yourself on Thompsons face push and Kimbo's stamina. Kimbo threw a couple of haymakers that i didnt notice

I didnt disagree about Kimbos stamina, I knew he was shot. I just didnt think calling the fight the way they did was controversial or that Colossus was reacting to the decision. He seems out of it from when the punch that cut his ear landed until about 5 seconds after he realized it was over. With those uppercuts Kimbo was throwing, if he would have landed one of those he really could have hurt that guy.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Was that the Pulver/Faber fight?

Yeah, that was the main event and the bantamweight title fight was awesome too. Faber showed a whole new side of his game and Pulver showed an insane amount of toughness.

Just my two cents on the whole Kimbo thing... it is what it is. I see all sides of the arguments, especially if the Ref stopped it because of his ear he should of had a doctor look at it like a cut. The real thing that came out of it is Kimbo is nowhere near ready to face any top competition. James Thompson is an impressive physical specimen, but he's not really a top MMA heavyweight. His biggest win was against a washed up Don Frye and he had lost x2 before the kimbo fight. Aleks Emelianenko beat him in 11 seconds and he lost to butterbean.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfi...?FighterID=6721

It's an interesting thing to watch, but he is just like the freak show fights PRIDE use to have. the Affliction PPV is going to have some great heavywight MMA fights and the Big Nog/Mir fight is going to be a quality bout.

UFC on PPV tonight or in the afternoon. Since it is in England they will show it live and then on tape delay. Not the greatest name card, but still a chance for some good fights. The Vera/Werdum fight is interesting, winner of that will be pushed in the HW division. Hughes/Alves is main-event, Alves weighed in at 174, but Hughes took the fight anyway.

Card got destroyed with numerous injuries, was supposed to be headlined by Liddell/Shogun, then Liddell/Evans, Bisping/Leben was suppose to happen put Leben had to do some jail for a probation violation. So not the greatest card on paper, but worth getting if you can get 4 people to pitch in or go to a bar.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
UFC on PPV tonight or in the afternoon. Since it is in England they will show it live and then on tape delay. Not the greatest name card, but still a chance for some good fights. The Vera/Werdum fight is interesting, winner of that will be pushed in the HW division. Hughes/Alves is main-event, Alves weighed in at 174, but Hughes took the fight anyway.

Card got destroyed with numerous injuries, was supposed to be headlined by Liddell/Shogun, then Liddell/Evans, Bisping/Leben was suppose to happen put Leben had to do some jail for a probation violation. So not the greatest card on paper, but worth getting if you can get 4 people to pitch in or go to a bar.

Me and a couple of buddies are gonna grill and check it out...agreed on the not the best card on paper, but it's a Saturday afternoon and not much else going on.