MMA Thread

QUOTE(zenryan @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
Jardine really looked good tonight.

I think its the end of the Ice Man. He doesnt have the work ethic to be a contender anymore

Now, keep in mind when I ask this that I didn't see last night's fight:

Was Chuck looking soft or thick last night?

Do you think Chuck's problem is really work ethic, or is his game just too one-dimensional?

He's got one-punch KO power, as we know, but he doesn't seem to have the all-around game. I think guys are just figuring out how to stay out of KO range until they can ground-game him.

I like Chuck, so I hope he's not done, but if guys figure out how to minimize the chance of the big punch it hurts his chances severely IMO.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
Now, keep in mind when I ask this that I didn't see last night's fight:

Was Chuck looking soft or thick last night?

Do you think Chuck's problem is really work ethic, or is his game just too one-dimensional?

He's got one-punch KO power, as we know, but he doesn't seem to have the all-around game. I think guys are just figuring out how to stay out of KO range until they can ground-game him.

I like Chuck, so I hope he's not done, but if guys figure out how to minimize the chance of the big punch it hurts his chances severely IMO.

I think he got too hollywoodized(yes I'm making up words) to be honest with you.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
So the question is do you give the Silva fight to Jardine? or do you give it to Forrest Griffin? Better yet, who's the next guy to face Rampage?

Either should make up a great matchup with Silva. I would give it to Jardine and give Forrest a match against Machida.

Rampage broke his hand I believe and will be out until '08, so they have a little time.

• 3 weeks later...
Report: After UFC’s Failure to Sign Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture Leaves UFC

Posted by MMA Junkie on October 11, 2007 at 3:10 pm ET

With the UFC’s apparent inability to sign top free agent Fedor Emelianenko to a contract, current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture has reportedly decided to walk away from the UFC and the two fights remaining on his current deal.

The shocking news comes from The Fight Network, with whom Couture has a longtime relationship. According to the website, Couture delivered his resignation with a letter to UFC President Dana White.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” Couture told the website. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.“

Emelianenko — the current PRIDE heavyweight champion and the most sought-after free agent in mixed-martial arts — reportedly inked a new deal with the Russian-based M-1 Mix-Fight Championship promotion in the past couple weeks.

White made no mention of Couture’s resignation — nor any problems in his relationship with the fighter — during today’s UFC 77 media conference call. The two MMA notables appeared to have a very public and very cordial relationship.

UFC officials were hopeful that Couture would next defend his title against Emelianenko at a Feb. 2 show in Las Vegas. Fight fans had been teased by the possible matchup for much of 2007. MMAjunkie.com recently reported that Couture was supposed to headline the UFC 81 event regardless of the opponent, but it now appears the fighter’s career with the UFC is over.

The 44-year-old Couture, a UFC Hall of Famer, came out of retirement earlier this year to defeat Tim Sylvia for the heavyweight championship. Since the UFC 68 victory, Couture has reemerged as one of MMA’s biggest stars.

He successfully defended his title at UFC 74 in August against top contender Gabriel Gonzaga.

Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) is one of the most decorated fighters in MMA history and the only athlete to ever hold the UFC’s heavyweight and light-heavyweight titles. The former All-American wrestler has competed in 15 title fights in his 24-fight career.

It’s too soon to know what the UFC will do with a now-vacant heavyweight title. However, top contenders Brandon Vera and Tim Sylvia are scheduled to fight next weekend at UFC 77, and fellow contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuira and Cheick Kongo are expected to fight in early 2008. The two bouts could set up a mini-tournament, with each fight’s winner facing off in a title fight at a later date.

Anderson Silva destroyed Rich Franklin tonight. He was toying with him at points of the fight, including a sequence where he bob-and-weaved a Franklin combo. He is exciting to watch at this point. He doesn't have much out there left to fight right now, hopefully Henderson will drop back to 185, that would be one hell of a fight. (They could grab Filho from WEC, but I believe they're training partners and won't fight). For name value they could make an attempt at Frank Shamrock, but at this point Silva would roll him, and Shamrock is pretty hooked up with the org he's with. Matt Lindland is also a possibility, but I think he and UFC don't have the greatest relationship.

They also announced they signed Brock Lesnar, that will be interesting. He's only had one MMA fight, but the guy is a freak. If they build him slow he could be one hell of a fighter.

Tim Sylvia won, he was just too big for Vera.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
IMO, Silva's the best middleweight in the world period. At the point where he just bobbed and weaved Franklin's combo, everyone that I watched it with was in awe. I don't see him dropping the belt anytime soon.

Franklin looked out of shape and was just dominated again. He used to be a strong guy in his division and really stood no chance in there. Vera/Silvia was a disappointment.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
Franklin looked out of shape and was just dominated again. He used to be a strong guy in his division and really stood no chance in there. Vera/Silvia was a disappointment.

On top of that, reports are that Silva broke Franklin's nose again. Vera/Sylvia was a boring fight, I'm not sure if they could get it sanctioned but i'd really think about having a grand prix type tourney for the heavyweight title. Only because I really don't see anyone as a serious contender.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
On top of that, reports are that Silva broke Franklin's nose again. Vera/Sylvia was a boring fight, I'm not sure if they could get it sanctioned but i'd really think about having a grand prix type tourney for the heavyweight title. Only because I really don't see anyone as a serious contender.

from my understanding it would be difficult to do multiple fights in one night in the U.S. One of the MMA orgs hooked up with Showtime is trying a one-night tournament, but it is really short rounds and limited to two.

But I agree, Heavyweight is a mess right now. They could do a 4 man tourny by having opening round on a card than 2-3 months later have the finals. I would throw Big Nog, Kongo, Sylvia (he's boring, but IMO deserves to be in it) and Gonzaga. If you expanded to 8 I would add AA, Cro Cop, Vera and Heath Herring (I know I'm probably missing someone extremely obvious, but this is just off the top of my head)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
if anyone likes The Ultimate Fighter show and haven't watched in a while I highly suggest catching one of the replays from this weeks shows on Spike this weekend. It is probably the best episode of the show.

That was the weirdest fight ever. Why wouldnt he just let him up off the ground?

I havent seen that many knees to the head since.....well since Rich Franklin

• 4 weeks later...

California allowed a four man, all in one night, MW tournament on friday. So they could do a PRIDE like 8 or 18 man tournament ending in an all in one night 4 in california.

The UFC on saturday was pretty boring. Not much to say there.

As to the person who said Anderson Silva is the best MW, we are going to find out if that's true in February or March, when Dan Henderson fights him. I've got hendo in that fight.

QUOTE(max power @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
California allowed a four man, all in one night, MW tournament on friday. So they could do a PRIDE like 8 or 18 man tournament ending in an all in one night 4 in california.

The UFC on saturday was pretty boring. Not much to say there.

As to the person who said Anderson Silva is the best MW, we are going to find out if that's true in February or March, when Dan Henderson fights him. I've got hendo in that fight.

I would have to see the exact rules on that, but I believe the rounds were short and had a limit of 2. I doubt the UFC would want to do that with the amended rules.

Yeah, Saturday was disapointing. They had a couple of fights that , on paper, had a chance to be wars, and it was a let down.

The December one has a chance to be really good. Hughes/Serra, Wand/Liddel, and now Sokoduju (sp?)(Last 2 fights he KO'd Lil' Nog and Ricardo Arona)/Machida.

Not sure if you're talking about me, but yeah, I posted earlier Silva is dominant, but agree, I favor Henderson in that fight

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 07:59 AM)
Matt Serra herniated discs in his back and is out of the fight against Hughes in December. No report yet on whether Hughes will stay on card against a new opponent.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=10087

Bummer.

I like Serra, and I wanted him to wipe the smirk off Hughes' face.