MMA Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
There was a lot going on throughout the fight, and I am not disputing Conor won and he certainly rocked Diaz a lot more than the other way around. It was just so strange, McGregor was beating his ass and then it seemed like he hit a wall in the 2nd and Diaz started coming for him, and thats when Conor started clock watching and walking across the mat and letting Diaz chase him.

It wasnt until that cut opened on Diaz in the 4th and he was constantly wiping blood away that McGregor woke up and started throwing hard punches again

Diaz is durable as hell and a much bigger man. I'm not surprised McGregor gassed again. He looked much better against Holloway, a fellow FW.

i was surprised he gassed because it didnt appear he was overexerting himself at that point. There wasnt a lot happening on the fence, nothing went to the ground, he wasnt throwing wildly, McGregor was pacing himself well, and then all the sudden it was gone.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
i was surprised he gassed because it didnt appear he was overexerting himself at that point. There wasnt a lot happening on the fence, nothing went to the ground, he wasnt throwing wildly, McGregor was pacing himself well, and then all the sudden it was gone.

When you're putting a beating on a guy and he keeps coming it probably robs your energy. The same thing happened to Diaz when he tried to bully McGregor in the 4th and McGregor started t'ing off on him again.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
There's a gif running around that I'll try to post later of the significant strikes McGregor landed. He beat the hell out of Diaz.

McGregor has no business fighting at 170. His frame can't carry that weight. I hope they give him Alvarez next.

Official significant strikes landed...

Conor 166

Nate 164

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Rogan just posted Nick Diaz vs. McGregor. I think the early rumors is Conor wants to fight at 155 but that would be another huge cash grab. Nick is better than Nate and you could build the narrative of big brother avenging his loss.

The fans would definitely eat up that matchup. It's not a great matchup though. Nick hasn't had a win since 2011.

I'd rather see Conor back to 145 to defend his belt. Enough of this interim champ crap. He either goes back or he gives up the belt.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
The fans would definitely eat up that matchup. It's not a great matchup though. Nick hasn't had a win since 2011.

I'd rather see Conor back to 145 to defend his belt. Enough of this interim champ crap. He either goes back or he gives up the belt.

Not that Dana isn't one to flip-flop, but that is his current stance. If Connor doesn't fight Aldo next (or another FW due to an Aldo injury or the like) he vacates.

• 3 weeks later...

Knew it would happen but was hoping it wouldn't. He won't be back in the UFC, maybe he tries fighting again but after that he has no drawing power. I was semi joking about it with Brian but my odd prediction of the day is that he's headlining a NJPW ppv with Daniel Bryan in a few years.

Anywho, this isn't a wrestling thread so sorry about that...this Werdum-Browne fight has been bizarre.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 11:52 PM)
Well congrats to Overeem, he let CM off the hook for the most embarrassing performance of the night.

I almost felt bad for him after the replay showed no tap.

Rogan has asked UFC that he stop interviewing fighters that just got KO'd. His thought, and I agree, is there's no way they have all their capacity about them and they're bound to say incorrect things.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
Knew it would happen but was hoping it wouldn't. He won't be back in the UFC, maybe he tries fighting again but after that he has no drawing power. I was semi joking about it with Brian but my odd prediction of the day is that he's headlining a NJPW ppv with Daniel Bryan in a few years.

Anywho, this isn't a wrestling thread so sorry about that...this Werdum-Browne fight has been bizarre.

If he went in there against anybody with even one amateur fight, he was at a significant disadvantage.

Their only chance for a "competitive" fight, and maybe using the build-up series to chronicle his opponent, would be to find someone similar to me or several people I know that have trained BJJ and other aspects of MMA for years, but never did anything above sparring. You could have shown Punk with his full time training and his opponent balancing a regular life and training for a fight.

So many issues with that as well, but he was an amateur going for his first fight, should have fought similar.

As far as UFC goes, 100% agree, honestly, I think they signed him just to keep him from Bellator. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have just scrapped the idea after his second injury earlier this year, paid him whatever they would have had to for the contract and at that point, his heat was down enough if he would have went to Bellator it wouldn't have been earth shattering.

With that said, if he fights again, it will be in Bellator, IMO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...