Best deals in White Sox history

NO!!MARY!!!

Alright, we're having our fun with the bad trade thread. Let's do the opposite. What do you feel were

some of the best deals in White Sox history?

Me, obviously I feel that any trade that led to the building of the 2005 champions was a

great one, but I'll name three anyway:

Matt Karchner for Jon Garland

Mike Cameron for Paul Konerko

Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik- I'll admit I was extremely skeptical about this one at the time.

some others:

Douglas Taitt and $20,000 for the rights to Luke Appling-sent to the Cubs, who were the first team to

put in a claim for Appling.

Aaron Robinson for Billy Pierce

Joe Tipton for Nellie Fox

Luis Aparicio for Pete Ward, Hoyt Wilhelm and Ron Hansen

Juan Pizarro for Wilbur Wood

Chico Carresquel from the Brooklyn Dodgers farm system- for once, Branch Rickey got robbed blind.

The deal helped bring the franchise back to life.

Dave Philley and Gus Zernial for Minnie Minoso-THE trade that sparked the Sox in the 1950's.

Rocky Colavito for Tommie Agee and Tommy John-part of a three team deal in which the Sox got

Colavito from KC and sent him to Cleveland for John and Agee.

Lamarr Hoyt for Ozzie Guillen-didn't look so good at first, did it?

Jose DeLeon for Lance Johnson- makes up (sort of) for Bonilla for DeLeon.

Three the hard way: three trades that breathed new life into the team and gave it short-term success,

but at the cost of players that had great careers elsewhere. So were they good or bad trades?

Tommy John for Dick Allen

Bucky Dent for Oscar Gamble, Lamarr Hoyt and Bob Polinsky. Perhaps this one doesn't belong, as it

yielded 1983 rock Hoyt, who later yielded Guillen. Of course, I'm sure this one is still lamented (and

lamented and lamented and lamented) in Boston. Perhaps a fan or two wants to kill Bill Veeck for

making the trade. Dan Shaughnessy might want to send Mike Veeck royalty checks, though.

Rich Gossage and Terry Forster for Richie Zisk-same type of deal as John-for-Allen.

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 30, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
I think Jaime Navarro for Jose Valentin and Cal eldred was pretty good. If anything it got Jaime Navarro away from the Sox.

The Brewers also received John Snyder in that deal.

Borchard for Thornton was great on a few levels, it brought in an excellent lefty reliever and it rid Chicago of LTP.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 31, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
Claiming Jenks off of waivers. I knew this would be a huge move for the Sox whereas more posters just saw him as a troubled minor leaguer.

I remembered seeing his Outside the Lines story. However, I was the first one on this site praying that KW would go out and acquire him.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ May 30, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
Miguel Olivo and Jeremy Reed for Freddy Garcia.

I have to admit KW was on a roll between 2003-2005 in getting bargains for top of the line pitchers.

Don't forget Mike Morse and Ben Davis. Morse was supposed to be the wild card in the deal but steroids quickly put an end to that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
Don't forget Mike Morse and Ben Davis. Morse was supposed to be the wild card in the deal but steroids quickly put an end to that.

Quite a few guys in that trade who I've always believed were on the juice.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 30, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Claiming Jenks off of waivers. I knew this would be a huge move for the Sox whereas more posters just saw him as a troubled minor leaguer.

Umm most posters at this site were ecstatic to claim Jenks off waivers, im pretty sure it was probably the same at WSI too :chair

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 30, 2007 -> 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm most posters at this site were ecstatic to claim Jenks off waivers, im pretty sure it was probably the same at WSI too :chair

Very few expected Jenks to contribute at the Major league level in 2005.

Nobody predicted he would be closing out the World Series as a rookie. :chair

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 30, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Very few expected Jenks to contribute at the Major league level in 2005.

Nobody predicted he would be closing out the World Series as a rookie. :chair

well nobody thought Hermanson would be our closer that season either, but that doesnt change the fact everyone was ecstatic when we got Jenks. And if you expected him to be our closer in 05 and to close out the winning game of the WS you deserve :chair :chair :chair :chair

Nellie Fox and here are some quotes about him:

[edit] Quotation

Fox is what you'd call a manager's ballplayer. He does his job expertly and he does it every day. He's the type of player you can count on. He's an old pro. A great many times, he is hurting pretty badly from the dumpings he's taken on the field, but he's always ready to play. - Hall of Fame manager Al Lopez.

Nellie was the toughest out for me. In 12 years I struck him out once, and I think the umpire blew the call. - New York Yankees Hall of Fame pitcher Whitey Ford

I was a Nellie Fox fan from my first interest in baseball in 1959. My first glove for little league was a Nelson Fox model.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
Jose Contreras for Esteban Loaiza worked out pretty well.

IMHO K-Dubs best moments was buying Loaiza so low and selling him so high. I can't think of another situation where I team was so right twice on the same player. :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
IMHO K-Dubs best moments was buying Loaiza so low and selling him so high. I can't think of another situation where I team was so right twice on the same player. :D

Yeah, it's hard to beat the original Jenks and Loiaza deals.

Of only Gil Heredia would have returned to his old form, we might have won it all in 2003.