Ozzie Throwing in the Towel... on Himself?

LVSoxFan

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/40...T-jay31.article

Now can we all promise not to start a Mariotti-bashing thread? These comments were reported in other news outlets as well--this is just where I saw them. So my questions:

1) Is Ozzie asking to be fired?

2) Where's the fight?

3) What kind of effect does it have on the clubhouse when your leader is throwing up his hands like this? I've said here before that in 2005 Ozzie was a firecracker in the dugout and these days he just mopes around. WTF?

4) While he's certainly right when he says "I've been watching the same ole s*** since July 2006", how is that going to motivate a team?

I guess I just never thought that Ozzie, after being a big fan of him being hired back in '04, would be saying things like this. That's gotta be bringing everybody down, dontcha think?

Maybe he does have to go after all. Maybe 2005 was just a fluke year.

Or, in his defense. Maybe Ozzie has hit the wall trying to use what KW has given him.

Discuss...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
Seems like he does like once a year. For someone who think they're so macho, he sure acts like a pussy sometimes. Suck it up Ozzie, and dedicate yourself to worrying more about the team on the field than making quotes off the field.

It kind of reminds me when Ditka popped off that the Bears would probably not win another game the rest of the season once. Turns out he was right for a change. Ozzie will be around this season(as long as he doesn't say anything too stupid) but his demise isn't too far off.

I've heard the sound bites several times this morning and, IMO, he's not even close to having a towel in his hand much less throwing it anywhere. He's pissed at the play on the field and stated several times he is not going to put up with it. The comment about him being fired was, IMO, not a request but a (sic) "...if I'm not doing the job and there is someone better then bring them in...."

Ozzie and Da Coach seem to be on the same career path. I think we all know it will be Ozzie's mouth that would get him fired before his team's performance. Using the same Walker yardstick, I don't know howa fan could demand Walker's head and not Coops and Ozzies.

Ozzie has always seemed erratic, I wonder what the root is?

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
I've heard the sound bites several times this morning and, IMO, he's not even close to having a towel in his hand much less throwing it anywhere. He's pissed at the play on the field and stated several times he is not going to put up with it. The comment about him being fired was, IMO, not a request but a (sic) "...if I'm not doing the job and there is someone better then bring them in...."

Its one thing to say you're not going to put up with it....its another thing not to put up with it. Its been going on for 130 games now, I wonder when he's going to do something about it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Its one thing to say you're not going to put up with it....its another thing not to put up with it. Its been going on for 130 games now, I wonder when he's going to do something about it.

What's he going to do, put the PROFESSIONAL MLB PLAYERS in a time out in the corner...? If anyone thinks he's been silent through this then they haven't been paying attention to Ozzie the last 3.5 years.

These "men" need to take some responsibility. Ironically, Oz said the same thing last night. IMO, time for him to start calling the "men" out.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)

That's my read on Ozzie at all. Are there any actual rumblings of major changes coming? It seems like if we had a viable bullpen, we'd actually be doing ok. Even worse than the offense, the bullpen has been killing us, especially since the Cubs series.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
What's he going to do, put the PROFESSIONAL MLB PLAYERS in a time out in the corner...? If anyone thinks he's been silent through this then they haven't been paying attention to Ozzie the last 3.5 years.

These "men" need to take some responsibility. Ironically, Oz said the same thing last night. IMO, time for him to start calling the "men" out.

Oh, great! Now Steff's going to go on a man-hating rant. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Ozzie and Da Coach seem to be on the same career path. I think we all know it will be Ozzie's mouth that would get him fired before his team's performance. Using the same Walker yardstick, I don't know howa fan could demand Walker's head and not Coops and Ozzies.

Ozzie has always seemed erratic, I wonder what the root is?

^^^^^^^

Regardless of what anybody thinks of Ditka or Ozzie, I think most would agree with you here. The thing is, didn't Ditka coach the Bears for like 10 years? I can't see Ozzie lasting a decade here, he's barely a third of the way there.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
These "men" need to take some responsibility.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

That is everything. It isn't fire Walker, it isn't fire Cooper, it isn't fire Ozzie, and it isn't fire KW.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)

For the fans here is like this...it is too easy to fire a manager than fireing the whole team...

It is not Guillen's fault that Aardsma was reliable in the beginning of the season and he now sucks.

It is not Guillen's fault that the offense saucked so bad in the beginning of the season and now it looks it is coming out of its misery.

My point is...blame on the players...bunch of underachievers...

It takes a team effort for a start this horrid. It's on everybody right now. The thing is, you can't just fire all the players, so everybody calls for the head of the hitting coach and manager. If we are going to fire anybody, it should be Wilder and KW with the lack of overall talent in our system. Last year's problem was the manager and pitching, this years problem is our lack of talent level makes it impossible to blame the manager, even if he's not very good.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. spot on correct.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
For the fans here is like this...it is too easy to fire a manager than fireing the whole team...

It is not Guillen's fault that Aardsma was reliable in the beginning of the season and he now sucks.

It is not Guillen's fault that the offense saucked so bad in the beginning of the season and now it looks it is coming out of its misery.

My point is...blame on the players...bunch of underachievers...

I agree with all of that, but Ozzie putting Aardsma in instead of Jenks yesterday, as well as putting MacDougal in to start the 9th simply can't be defended.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Men doing their jobs:

-The starting rotation. Sure, there have been rough outings, but these guys have been performing comparably to 2005.

-Bobby Jenks

-Matt Thorton

-Erstad: not the greatest, but at least he's been pulling his weight

-Mackowiak: the super-sub has been called into fulltime duty.

So-so

-Thome & Pods: both have played well when active, but significant injury time

-Uribe: Given us what we've come to expect

Not pulling their weight:

-Everybody else. That's what, 4 guys out of 6 in the bullpen and 6 regulars in the line-up? Disgusting.

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
That's my read on Ozzie at all. Are there any actual rumblings of major changes coming? It seems like if we had a viable bullpen, we'd actually be doing ok. Even worse than the offense, the bullpen has been killing us, especially since the Cubs series.

I have been warned, and I am keeping my mouth shut. :ph34r:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
^^^^^^^

Regardless of what anybody thinks of Ditka or Ozzie, I think most would agree with you here. The thing is, didn't Ditka coach the Bears for like 10 years? I can't see Ozzie lasting a decade here, he's barely a third of the way there.

Good point and it did take a 5-11 record to finally bring him down.