Billy D to the Magic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Congrats DB.

I wonder who Florida's going to get now. They're due for a huge fall off if they don't do this right, and they're going to have trouble filling that spot with a solid name this late in the game.

Probably Anthony Grant of VCU.

QUOTE(Shadows @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
Thank god

As a magic fan, this is great news

Oh, yeah, I'd be excited too.

You know how those rah-rah college coaches with a knack for coaching up snot-nosed college kids have a history of succeeding with the multi-million dollar athlete/thugs in the NBA.

Congrats.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 31, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Oh, yeah, I'd be excited too.

You know how those rah-rah college coaches with a knack for coaching up snot-nosed college kids have a history of succeeding with the multi-million dollar athlete/thugs in the NBA.

Congrats.

As long as its not Hill, its great news

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 05:50 AM)
Congrats DB.

I wonder who Florida's going to get now. They're due for a huge fall off if they don't do this right, and they're going to have trouble filling that spot with a solid name this late in the game.

Yeah I picked him as the main candidate about a week ago, but I have to say I am suprised if it is going to happen, mainly because I thought he'd want to control over personnel e.g as a GM, but we already have Otis Smith.

Will he be a success? I don't know. Maybe it's time for a college coach to buck the trend, and Donovan does have some positives in his favor. The Magic are a pretty young group as well, so it won't be THAT different from what he was coaching at Florida.

So long as he can develop the likes of Howard and Nelson as a credible point guard, then I'll be very happy.

I thought Stan Van Gundy might have been our guy though. I see Marc Iavaroni going to Memphis now, with David Griffin tagging along as GM.

And wow, that's a big contract.

Billy Donovan has accepted a guaranteed five-year, $28.5 million offer to become the Orlando Magic's new head coach, according to a league source.

The Magic offered the contract -- which will pay Donovan $5.7 million a year -- on Wednesday. The 42-year-old had a 24-hour window to make a decision.

As a Tennessee student/fan, this makes me a very happy person to see Florida lose such a force in the coaching world. Chimpy, I think we're feeling the same way right now... Anyway, FL will still be good, but not a powerhouse like recently.

yep, billy d wants to go back to florida. what a moron. first it takes him like 35 seconds to decide "hey i want the job" and then secondly he says he wants to go back instead of getting paid $27.5 mill over 5 years. if i were the magic, i wouldnt let him go back. maybe next time he'll take longer then 35 seconds to make a choice as big as this one

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
yep, billy d wants to go back to florida. what a moron. first it takes him like 35 seconds to decide "hey i want the job" and then secondly he says he wants to go back instead of getting paid $27.5 mill over 5 years. if i were the magic, i wouldnt let him go back. maybe next time he'll take longer then 35 seconds to make a choice as big as this one

Magic are the reason he had to make a choice in such a short time span. In the future you should give a coach more than 24 hours to decide. Just say the offer is on the table for a week or until we hire someone else, we will start looking for other options after the first 24 hours.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Magic are the reason he had to make a choice in such a short time span. In the future you should give a coach more than 24 hours to decide. Just say the offer is on the table for a week or until we hire someone else, we will start looking for other options after the first 24 hours.

yea, 24 hours is enough. i mean seriously, $*** or get off the pot. its 27.5 million over 5 years, to coach. u can suck, and will still get 27.5 million. and again, he decided in like 35 seconds. u have 23 hours and 65 seconds to decide still- take your time

Edited by briguy27