2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

Stay away from the UNC recruits. :P

I'm personally hoping Brackman is our choice. 6'10, 230 pounds with a mid 90's fastball. Has has a tired arm lately, but you could expect that from a 21 year old that has been trying to play basketball and baseball full time for a few years now. Draft him, let his arm rest, and let him do his damage next year moving through the system. Doesn't turn 22 until December.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
Last minute predictions:

I'm going with Savery

Last minute, you still got a couple hours at least. My pick is gonna be: Josh Smoker.

BTW, rumors are saying that Porcello will be slipping very far, possibly to the Yankees, but there is an unspecified team that might take him before the Yankees and its supposed to be the Rangers. All this is via Baseball America. I honestly don't know what I would do if he slipped to the Sox and we didn't draft him. He has got all the tools to be a #1 starter. I don't care about Boras, but if you can get this type a talent at 25, you take him and deal with Boras.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Last minute, you still got a couple hours at least. My pick is gonna be: Josh Smoker.

BTW, rumors are saying that Porcello will be slipping very far, possibly to the Yankees, but there is an unspecified team that might take him before the Yankees and its supposed to be the Rangers. All this is via Baseball America. I honestly don't know what I would do if he slipped to the Sox and we didn't draft him. He has got all the tools to be a #1 starter. I don't care about Boras, but if you can get this type a talent at 25, you take him and deal with Boras.

I agree completely. I understand the only reason he might fall is b/c of his huge contract demands, but the money is out there to give to him. Like you said, a player of his talent is rarely around at 25, and since we haven't had a Top 10 pick in 17 years (to get guys of that caliber) then I think we would need to snag him if the opportunity presents itself.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
I agree completely. I understand the only reason he might fall is b/c of his huge contract demands, but the money is out there to give to him. Like you said, a player of his talent is rarely around at 25, and since we haven't had a Top 10 pick in 17 years (to get guys of that caliber) then I think we would need to snag him if the opportunity presents itself.

Flash would be on a suicide watch if we passed on him.

Judging on recent history, Callis' final mock drafts are on target early and gradually become more erratic as the first round continues.

I still don't believe Porcello drops to the Rangers, but if he did, that's a one win difference between the Angels (whose pick Texas received for Gary Matthews Jr.) and the White Sox. That hurts to think about. Even as a Boras client, there's a sixty pick gap betwen 1st and 2nd selections. We could afford it.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
Not sure how TV will affect the first round, but it's usually 10-20 seconds in between picks.

It's 5 minutes now. And I've read speculation that they don't expect to get much farther than 5 or 6 rounds today when they used to do about 19 on the first day.

I have to say if our draft board is Bumgarner, Withthrow, then Jackson, our scouts haven't been doing their drop these last several months. I honestly don't know much about Withthrow, since his name has seemingly come out of nowhere, but watching video and browing several articles it's obvious we're expecting projectability out of his arm. He sat 90mph on the scouting video. Good curveball, though.

If the first pick is made by 1:30 I'll be shocked. This has all the makings of a typical ESPN event.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Oh f***, Steve Phillips is on the show. Groan.

Yeah, I'm not happy that they put the BBTN guys on there. Totally different people know about the draft that would be good enough to talk about it on air.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Yeah, I'm not happy that they put the BBTN guys on there. Totally different people know about the draft that would be good enough to talk about it on air.

I THINK SIGNABILITY COULD BE A BIG FACTOR THIS YEAR.

Thanks for the insight, Steve.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
I have to say if our draft board is Bumgarner, Withthrow, then Jackson, our scouts haven't been doing their drop these last several months. I honestly don't know much about Withthrow, since his name has seemingly come out of nowhere, but watching video and browing several articles it's obvious we're expecting projectability out of his arm. He sat 90mph on the scouting video. Good curveball, though.

If the first pick is made by 1:30 I'll be shocked. This has all the makings of a typical ESPN event.

If we see a fastball that tops out at 90 and a good curve, then Kenny was filling everyone with bulls***.